Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 09-11-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
2008 Norco Fluid LT 1 and LT 2 - ridden hard all summer

Lee and Chris put some dirt behind them this summer, and they did some serious testing while they were at it.

Have a look at what they discovered here.

cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2008, 06:48 AM   #2
Jerry-Rig

Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.Jerry-Rig has achieved FLOW.
is it my pc or do most of photos in the article showing the dreaded red x.
Jerry-Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
Nechako

Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.Nechako has achieved FLOW.
Great Reviews!

My LT3 came with the 2.35 tires.

Richard
Old 09-11-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
pedalhound
Artist formerly known as mudpuppy

pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.pedalhound has achieved FLOW.
All the awesome photo's work great for me.

The Mountain Bike Life
pedalhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:16 PM   #5
nmr8

nmr8 is a n00b; standing by
seat tube!

the 27.2 seatpost does not acommodate most height adjust seatposts. imho a bike like this needs a speedball.
nmr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
kperras

kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.
The Fluid LT1 is the best bike I have ever ridden. Very capable rig that can not only withstand but also shine through the abuse of true freeride trails while keeping pace with more nimble bikes on the climbs and singletrack.
kperras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #7
Snipy

Snipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmorSnipy can bask in the sweat of their bodyarmor
I want a Lt2 next year - just gotta find a decent dealer around munich

Too bad it doesn't seem to have a white fork in the final design though...
Snipy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
whitehonky
Whitehonky

whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.whitehonky has achieved FLOW.
Been through the 28mm cone wrench issues. I gave up on Shimano... just bought a 25mm Axiom cone wrench, as 25mm fits nicely over most bench grinding wheels and you can easily and smoothly grind it to an effective 28mm. Cheap solution for a descent quality tool at $8 retail. http://www.axiomgear.com/product/too...uct.php?id=189
whitehonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:23 PM   #9
chris2

chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehonky View Post
Been through the 28mm cone wrench issues. I gave up on Shimano... just bought a 25mm Axiom cone wrench, as 25mm fits nicely over most bench grinding wheels and you can easily and smoothly grind it to an effective 28mm. Cheap solution for a descent quality tool at $8 retail. http://www.axiomgear.com/product/too...uct.php?id=189
Obsession Bikes has a 28mm cone wrench now, and I would assume some other shops have finally received them too.
chris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #10
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
What the review was that good that there are no questions? Hey chris - does the blue in that Fluid match the shade of your eyes?
LeeLau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #11
chris2

chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.chris2 has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
What the review was that good that there are no questions? Hey chris - does the blue in that Fluid match the shade of your eyes?
you bet, colour co-ordinated! Good thing I still had that blue & white jersey laying around

I just got back from riding the LT2 on a 4 day Chilcotin trip with Lee and a bunch of others. There was a big mix of bikes, ranging from lightweight XC climbing machines to Synchro's SX Trail which was by far the beast of the trip. They all performed well and of course a big part is to do with the rider, but for me the LT was a great all-around bike for that kind of riding. I don't think I would have felt too comfortable on a really lightweight XC bike out in the middle of nowhere with a 2 day hike out if something exploded.

A couple of longer term notes that have come up since the review was finalized:

The front 20mm XT hub has loosened up a little again, so I'll have to get that sorted.

The shock bolt seized inside the outer hardware piece, and although that piece is still freely & smoothly pivoting at the shock DU bushing the mounting hole on the swingarm has worn bigger. I can only think it was somehow caused by the seized shock bolt (the allen bolts were kept tight). There's a bunch of play now as the hole has been worn larger than the bolt but hopefully the new stays & swing arms that Norco is providing as a fix for the brake vibration issue will solve it. If you have an LT or other Norco (or any bike for that matter) with this type of shock setup I'd say check your shock bolt to make sure it taps out easily (how you change the travel setting) every once in a while and put some grease on it so this doesn't happen to you.
chris2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
stuart@nsmb.com
Writer/editor/photo taker

stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.stuart@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Hey Lee - was the shock / water bottle issue related to the size of Fluid you were riding, or do you think that would be an issue on all sizes?

She said, why don't you stop your crying/
Go outside and ride your bike
- Sliver, Nirvana

"If stars were all that mattered, why would I go to the trouble of writing a review?" - Roger Ebert
stuart@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
kperras

kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.
Another few minor FRAME issues:

-Rear tire clearance is small for a 2.1 rear, and barely there for a 2.35 nevegal. 2.35 Minions would work nicely. I haven't had any issues yet with my 2.35 nevegal but I will not discount the higher than normal probability of something happening like a stick making me go OTB.
-The hardware is lacking in engagement and depth for allen keys. I stripped a few and I'm not monkey fisted. Thankfully the thread pitch is pretty standard and I replaced all the bolts with new steel hardware.
-The lower bolt assembly on the shock was too long so the frame's lower shock mount wouldn't snug up to the shock reducers properly, creating a "worn DU bushing" feeling issue. A wider washer on the bolt fixed this.
- Harmonics problem acknowledged and dealt with expertly by Norco

The REST OF THE BIKE issues:
-Lyric is a great feeling fork but also very troublesome. Required a few warranty repairs
-DT Swiss 340 hubs are lightweight and bling, but the 18pt engagement was dissapointing.

To be fair, any bike these days will have issues and its hard to please everybody, so in a sense, I'm nitpicking a fair bit. I feel that the big N has come a long way from the old monocoque days by listening to riders and throwing out products that cater to every style of riding and budget. As a testimony to that statement, next years Fluid LT addresses many of the design and part spec issues, while adding more features.

This bike has been the best bike I have ever owned, and if I were forced to choose one bike to ride (lets hope this never happens) I'd gladly pick my LT1. Given a few part exchanges that I made a the beggining of the season, I have no qualms riding this bike up the steepest mtns, on the longest trails, down the sketchiest lines, and through the fastest trails.

My next big challenge is racing the Ramble at the end of the month. 65+ kms of fun!
kperras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 PM   #14
LeeLau
Trail Plug

LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.LeeLau has achieved FLOW.
I only rode the M Fluid so that might just be specific to the M. I'd have to check re the other sizes. There was just a tiny bit of contact but enough for me to have to nitpick. If you got a water bottle cage with a bit more fore-aft adjustment or one that sat higher on the mounts then there won't be contact. It was really that small a contact point
Old 09-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
LeeLau
Trail Plug

chris2 is probably too shy to mention this but I was pretty underwhelmed by the Marzocchi 55. The innards kept blowing up on him
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: