Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Gear

Gear Gear-related discussions

Old 11-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
bigwheel

bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.
'06 888VF...Reducing travel the easy way?

If I want to reduce the travel to 6-7", can I just add an appropriate amount of oil to each leg? or will that damage seals, cartridges or anything?
I want to lower the crown 1-2" or so to change the geometry of my bike a bit. The top 2" of the stanchion is the same diameter, gets smaller after that. Thought Marz might've designed it to allow for up to 2" of adjustment.
bigwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
XXX_er

XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.
note that if you just drop the fork tubes in the crown ,when the suspension is fully compresssed the wheel might hit the the lower crown and stop you real fast

there is a bit of adjustment there to accomadate different length head tubes on different bikes ,a short headtube will let you drop the fork tubes more.You can check how low you can drop the tubes in the triple clamps by taking out the springs and fully compressing the fork to check clearance.NOTE this clearance will also change with different size tires
XXX_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
bigwheel

bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.bigwheel has achieved FLOW.
adjustment for different length head tubes...hadn't thought of that.

oh no, I wasn't going to drop the crowns without increasing oil to stop travel.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:50 PM   #4
XXX_er

XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.XXX_er has achieved FLOW.
you CAN as long as the tire doesnt hit the crown ,lowering the fork tubes 1 " in the clamps will steepen the fork angle by one degree

I thot I would mention this cuz you are talking about geometry

I don't know anything specific about messing with an 888
XXX_er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
bigwheel

Yup, I'm mostly concerned with geometry. I'm thinking about getting a shorter fork to install for non-dh'ing rides. I'd like to ride it a bit with the lower A-C height to find out how the bike is going to feel before dishing out big $ for another fork.
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: