Go Back   North Shore Mountain Biking Forums > Article Discussion

Article Discussion Discuss the latest articles here

Old 05-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
cam@nsmb.com
administurbator

cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.cam@nsmb.com has achieved FLOW.
Readers' Rides #3 - Dean Wilkes' Banshee Legend

Without Dean's cool write up on the board Readers' Rides may have never been born.

Thanks Dean!

Here's what Dean has to say about his relationship with Banshee and his beloved Legend Mk. 1
cam@nsmb.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
kperras

kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.kperras has achieved FLOW.
Nice write up! Methinks someone needs a hope/stans wheelset.
kperras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:32 PM   #3
Nelson
Unregistered User

Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.Nelson has achieved FLOW.
Is that bar tape?
Old 05-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
svenny

Banshee price

Is it well worth the stupid high MSRP??

Spencer
Old 05-01-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Dean W
Injuries SUCK!!

Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam@nsmb.com View Post
Without Dean's cool write up on the board Readers' Rides may have never been born.

Thanks Dean!

Here's what Dean has to say about his relationship with Banshee and his beloved Legend Mk. 1
Thank you Cam and I appreciate your patience for the submission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Is that bar tape?
Yes it is. I have small hands and after speaking with an XC guy about thin grips, he suggested road bar tape to me for grips. It allows you to get the perfect grip thickness, is super grippy, doesn't rotate and for the weight weenies it's ~39g for both sides.

I did it for the function initially so the other benefits are simply a bonus.
Dean W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
connor
Freetarded

connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.connor has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean W View Post

Yes it is. I have small hands and after speaking with an XC guy about thin grips, he suggested road bar tape to me for grips. It allows you to get the perfect grip thickness, is super grippy, doesn't rotate and for the weight weenies it's ~39g for both sides.

ILLEGAL!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbad
Nothing sums up my life's achievements like my stuffed corpse, suplexing a cougar.
connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor View Post
ILLEGAL!!
so are skinsuits
Old 05-01-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
sanrensho

sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.
Quote:

Hey Dean, do you find the tape to absorb less shock than rubber grips, or no difference at all? I've been thinking about doing the bar tape thing for quite some time.

Thanks.
"The song of a bird...We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds..."-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk
sanrensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:32 PM   #9
DaveM
www.davemackie.ca

DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.DaveM has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrensho View Post
Hey Dean, do you find the tape to absorb less shock than rubber grips, or no difference at all? I've been thinking about doing the bar tape thing for quite some time.

Thanks.
So have I, not because I have small hands but because I like thin grips. I figure that the 8" of travel absorbs the shock, not the 1/8" of rubber on the grips
Old 05-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
sanrensho

sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.sanrensho has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveM View Post
So have I, not because I have small hands but because I like thin grips. I figure that the 8" of travel absorbs the shock, not the 1/8" of rubber on the grips
Also, it is a heck of a lot easier to rewrap bar tape, than mess around with removing rubber grips. (Not counting if you have a compressor.)

But mine would be a rigid setup, so shock absorption would make a difference.
"The song of a bird...We used to ask Ennesson to do bird calls. He could do them. How he could do them, and when he perished, along with him went all those birds..."-Return from the Stars, Stanislaw Lem

"We just walk around, and sometimes we go out and dance, and then we listen to the environment."-Ralf Hutter, Kraftwerk
Old 05-01-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
Dean W
Injuries SUCK!!

Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.Dean W has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrensho View Post

Thanks.
I'd say they feel the same as rubber in regards to shock absorbtion.

I simply bought some cheap BBB brand bar tape that had an adhesive strip on the back ($10.00). It's enough tape to do 2 sets of grips. There are many types of bar tape, so the cushiness or grippyness can be changed with different tapes.

Start on the outside and work your way in. At first I made them too thick and cushy but re-wrapped thinner and love them. For $10 I thought I'd give it a shot and it has proved to work well for me.

Last edited by Dean W; 05-02-2009 at 05:03 AM.
Dean W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #12
sanrensho

Quote:
I'd say they feel the same as rubber in regards to shock absorbtion.

I simply bought some cheap BBB brand bar tape that had an adhesive strip on the back ($10.00). Enough tape to do 2 sets of grips.

Start on the outside and work your way in. At first I made them too thick and cushy but re-wrapped thinner and love them. For $10 I thought I'd give it a shot and it has proved to work well for me.
Cool, thanks. BTW, they also make gel inserts that you can strategically place underneath the bar tape. But that might defeat your purpose of a thin grip.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:41 PM   #13
bogey

bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.bogey has achieved FLOW.
If you have small hands you should try ESI Racer's Edge grips. They're thin, comfortable, stick to handlebars like mad and very grippy with or without gloves.
I have big hands and use the ESI Chunky grips. They're not very well known but everyone that I know that has tried them loves them. You can also get them in some bling colours.
bogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #14
xy9ine

xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.xy9ine has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogey View Post
If you have small hands you should try ESI Racer's Edge grips. They're thin, comfortable, stick to handlebars like mad and very grippy with or without gloves.
I have big hands and use the ESI Chunky grips. They're not very well known but everyone that I know that has tried them loves them. You can also get them in some bling colours.
i've been using these for a couple years & they've been great. surprisingly grippy for a non-knurled surface & they stay stuck on the bar regardless of conditions, though they do wear faster than conventional rubber & tend to tear relatively easily in crashes. also a cheap way to save 50+g over a lock on. i like skinny grips so run the racer's edge.
xy9ine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #15
billytalented
teh glory

billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.billytalented has achieved FLOW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Is that bar tape?
Im thinking the same.
billytalented is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: