PDA

View Full Version : May 15 (next Tuesday) is DON'T BUY ANY GAS day

bmor
05-10-2007, 11:31 PM
for what it's worth, the idea is to send a message to Big Oil:nono:

jbazett
05-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Message = you'll make twice as much money tomorrow.

KenN
05-10-2007, 11:39 PM
Want to send a message? Buy less gas every day by driving a smaller vehicle less often!!!

A primer on market prices ... if there is a decreasing supply and an increasing demand, then the price will rise. Interfering with these market forces will simply lead to shortages.

And don't be quoting that stoopid CCPA report on me in response. All they're doing is telling mindless consumers what they want to hear.

Kn.

Dave K
05-10-2007, 11:48 PM

Actually please do that. Hopefully prices will drop for that one day and I can fill my tank up (should be due about then). Then I can laugh at the silly "gas-out" people as they refill on Wedneday at $1.30/liter.

white ri0t
05-10-2007, 11:51 PM
how about we make it "users of a mountain biking website ride their bikes to work and up the mountain to ride down it day"

or is that going too far?

biggles604
05-10-2007, 11:53 PM
Want to send a message? Buy less gas every day by driving a smaller vehicle less often!!!

A primer on market prices ... if there is a decreasing supply and an increasing demand, then the price will rise. Interfering with these market forces will simply lead to shortages.

And don't be quoting that stoopid CCPA report on me in response. All they're doing is telling mindless consumers what they want to hear.

Kn.

I really don't understand why people have a hard time understanding this. It seems like most the people I hear complaining about fuel prices drive a big truck or SUV.

Fast Orange
05-10-2007, 11:56 PM
This is like crackheads having a buy no crack day so they can get cheaper crack.

Aeropusher
05-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Kn.

thank you.....I've heard (and read) so many oil analysts talk about how a reduction of ones consumption of fuel by only 2% would greatly reduce the current price.

KenN
05-11-2007, 12:01 AM
This is like crackheads having a buy no crack day so they can get cheaper crack.

Haha ... I got a giggle over this one!

Kn.

the flying moose
05-11-2007, 12:04 AM
does it still count if i steal my neighbours gas and he has to go buy some more?

Jake the Trog
05-11-2007, 12:08 AM
shit i planned on going to buy some premium for my dirt bike that day.

kthomas
05-11-2007, 12:14 AM
why are the big oil company's bad guys anyways? what makes them worse then any other corporation?

I hate how everyone complains how high the price of gas is. When you look at all the steps and processes that goes into making that gas come out of the ground and into the pumps, you'll see that it really isn't that expensive at all. What I don't understand is how bottled water is so expensive?

gearwh0re
05-11-2007, 12:28 AM
awesome, now i can hold out for a week and have peace and quiet filling up that day.

Fast Orange
05-11-2007, 12:31 AM
why are the big oil company's bad guys anyways? what makes them worse then any other corporation?

I hate how everyone complains how high the price of gas is. When you look at all the steps and processes that goes into making that gas come out of the ground and into the pumps, you'll see that it really isn't that expensive at all. What I don't understand is how bottled water is so expensive?

I feel the same way.

Why does everyone feel like they're owed cheap gas?

Adam West
05-11-2007, 12:32 AM
im totaly gunna buy gas on the 15th
in fact i wont buy any gas untill then just so i can buy the maximum amount possible for that day.

Bowen
05-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Can I release gas on that day?

Broken Fusion!
05-11-2007, 12:43 AM

:lol:

"Why was Hitler the bad guy anyways? What made him worse than any other politician?"

Let me guess, you're from Alberta or the states :lol:

skimtb1
05-11-2007, 12:43 AM

they killed the electric car...

gearwh0re
05-11-2007, 12:51 AM

"Why was Hitler the bad guy anyways? What made him worse than any other politician?"

really, you are going with that eh?

Craz
05-11-2007, 01:23 AM

There's an obviously link between oil and hitler.
Both contain the letters I and L.
Case closed.

Adam West
05-11-2007, 01:26 AM
There's an obviously link between oil and hitler.
Both contain the letters I and L.
Case closed.

it says that on wikkipedia as well

Broken Fusion!
05-11-2007, 02:10 AM

Sometimes, people make comparisons that are extreme to show a point, because they are more effective than a mundane comparison. This is a kind of Hyperbole, a figure of speech often used in the English language. Let's take the example of Chris's quote:
..which was related to KThomas's quote:
"why are the big oil company's bad guys anyways? what makes them worse then any other corporation?"
Clearly, oil companies did not kill 6 million people during World War 2, nor cold anyone rightly imagine that they are nearly as bad as Hitler.
However, when KThomas asks "What makes [oil corporations] worse than any other corporation?" he is attempting to make the point that large oil corporations are on a similar moral plane to say, grocery corporations, which is clearly false. Chris rephrases KThomas' quote with an over the top example to show how KThomas' logic is flawed.
Don't forget your assignments are due tomorrow!

Yea guys, I'm making a direct comparison between Hitler and Shell.
Need me to explain any other grade 11 English concepts to you, or are you good for the day?

Fast Orange
05-11-2007, 02:15 AM

let me answer your question with a question.

What makes royal dutch shell worse than monsanto?

henry11106
05-11-2007, 02:30 AM
Sometimes, people make comparisons that are extreme to show a point, because they are more effective than a mundane comparison. This is a kind of Hyperbole, a figure of speech often used in the English language. Let's take the example of Chris's quote:
..which was related to KThomas's quote:
"why are the big oil company's bad guys anyways? what makes them worse then any other corporation?"
Clearly, oil companies did not kill 6 million people during World War 2, nor cold anyone rightly imagine that they are nearly as bad as Hitler.
However, when KThomas asks "What makes [oil corporations] worse than any other corporation?" he is attempting to make the point that large oil corporations are on a similar moral plane to say, grocery corporations, which is clearly false. Chris rephrases KThomas' quote with an over the top example to show how KThomas' logic is flawed.
Don't forget your assignments are due tomorrow!

Yea guys, I'm making a direct comparison between Hitler and Shell.
Need me to explain any other grade 11 English concepts to you, or are you good for the day?

grade eleven? really??? that seems more along the lines of something to be said to a 10-year-old. or younger.

back on topic- I think everyone should lay-off the cars, SUVs and trucks. just walk or ride your bike. unless you either need to move a lot of stuff, or travel more then 2 km's or so (or both), but only if necessary.

I don't drive, and I hardly ever bus.

Fast Orange
05-11-2007, 02:39 AM
grade eleven? really??? that seems more along the lines of something to be said to a 10-year-old. or younger.

back on topic- I think everyone should lay-off the cars, SUVs and trucks. just walk or ride your bike. unless you either need to move a lot of stuff, or travel more then 2 km's or so (or both), but only if necessary.

I don't drive, and I hardly ever bus.

2km's? is that what passes for a long bike ride nowadays??? :lol:

Broken Fusion!
05-11-2007, 02:58 AM
let me answer your question with a question.

What makes royal dutch shell worse than monsanto?

I guess that depends on your point of view. Keep in mind I didn't say that all non-oil corporations are on some moral high ground. Clearly there are more than few that have pretty shaky records.

Environmental damage that will last ages (along with a few deaths here and there, have a read about Shell's history in Africa), or a bunch of farmers getting sued over genetically modified wheat?
(You could add the effects of agent orange on 'nam vets to Monsanto's list too I suppose, but using that sh*t to carpet bomb large areas of land probably wasn't the best call by the people in charge in the first place! Then again, the whole war probably could be classified under "bad ideas.")

Is your big concern genetically modified food? Not that I necessarily like the idea either, but here's a newsflash, we've been eating it most of our lives in some form or another. Yes it's probably going to cause some problems, but I think the more pressing issue is the tons and tons and tons of harmful materials being pumped into our air, water, and earth every day - when the earth can't sustain any crops anyways, the issue of genetically modified foods is gonna be a little redundant.
And considering you're a smoker, you're hardly in a position to be criticizing anything unnatural, and potentially unhealthy, that people consume ;) (...and neither am I for that matter.) Plus you have a choice to eat modified foods or not, whereas I'm pretty sure that whether to live on earth or not isn't even a choice at all.

Yeah, they both suck. But have a think about which one will be the bigger problem for us a few decades down the road.

henry11106
05-11-2007, 03:02 AM
2km's? is that what passes for a long bike ride nowadays??? :lol:

I mean 1-2km walk (one way) for shopping. as opposed to a 1-2 km drive in a mini-van for a bag of groceries.

and I don't have a road bike.

I also think it's ridicules that people will drive their cars to a place for exercise.

Broken Fusion!
05-11-2007, 03:02 AM

You know, sometimes if you're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for witty comments, I mean really scraping it, you probably shouldn't say anything at all.

henry11106
05-11-2007, 03:05 AM
and I ride my 43lb (or so) to, up all over and down and back etc. with a full pack, for a bike ride usually 6-10 hours long.

what do you ride?

/derailment.

:edit ^ witty? WTF.

Bridges!!!
05-11-2007, 03:47 AM
Sounds like a pretty stupid idea to me. More like be prepared day, everyone will just buy thier gas the day before and the day after. Nobody will learn a lesson from this and stupid people will think they are making a difference, no good will come from it.

[email protected]
05-11-2007, 04:01 AM

how much is gas there in cowtown anyway? $1.30?
didnt think so...

heckler
05-11-2007, 04:10 AM
Europeans had it figured out 10 years ago.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0826/p01s03-woeu.html

switch
05-11-2007, 04:17 AM
I hate how everyone complains how high the price of gas is. When you look at all the steps and processes that goes into making that gas come out of the ground and into the pumps, you'll see that it really isn't that expensive at all.It cost about a dollar a barrel for oil that comes out of the ground in Saudi Arabia or Iraq. That translates into a tidy profit.

On the othr hand, if our governments would take off all the taxes they put on gasoline, the cost would go back down to about 75 or 80 cents a litre.

Even the whiniest bunch will continue to use petroleum based products, so I'll pay the price and keep buying the product, just like everyone else will.

switch
05-11-2007, 04:23 AM

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0826/p01s03-woeu.htmlThey figured out that they could make a lot of money by taxing gas at about 20 times the rate North America does?

kthomas
05-11-2007, 04:44 AM
I guess that depends on your point of view. Keep in mind I didn't say that all non-oil corporations are on some moral high ground. Clearly there are more than few that have pretty shaky records.

Environmental damage that will last ages (along with a few deaths here and there, have a read about Shell's history in Africa), or a bunch of farmers getting sued over genetically modified wheat?
(You could add the effects of agent orange on 'nam vets to Monsanto's list too I suppose, but using that sh*t to carpet bomb large areas of land probably wasn't the best call by the people in charge in the first place! Then again, the whole war probably could be classified under "bad ideas.")

Is your big concern genetically modified food? Not that I necessarily like the idea either, but here's a newsflash, we've been eating it most of our lives in some form or another. Yes it's probably going to cause some problems, but I think the more pressing issue is the tons and tons and tons of harmful materials being pumped into our air, water, and earth every day - when the earth can't sustain any crops anyways, the issue of genetically modified foods is gonna be a little redundant.
And considering you're a smoker, you're hardly in a position to be criticizing anything unnatural, and potentially unhealthy, that people consume ;) (...and neither am I for that matter.) Plus you have a choice to eat modified foods or not, whereas I'm pretty sure that whether to live on earth or not isn't even a choice at all.

Yeah, they both suck. But have a think about which one will be the bigger problem for us a few decades down the road.

Well fairy boy, every single product you buy and consume are in some way based or rely on petroleum products. So until you become a mountain man and live on just nature in a little hut in the woods you are no better (morally or otherwise) then any of those oil companies. So act now or quite your bitching.

Broken Fusion!
05-11-2007, 05:09 AM
Well fairy boy

Not once did I say we needed to abolish petroleum products. It would be nice to see some changes made and some serious regulation laid down, though.
There ARE alternatives to petroleum that work. It's pretty tough to break them through though when the people who have so much invested in the fact that we need petroleum have billions of dollars at their disposal.

BTW The fairy boy comment - beauty.
I got a new avatar for you
http://www.luds.net/personnages/cletus1.gif

kthomas
05-11-2007, 05:11 AM
I prefer this one:

http://www.girlontheright.com/redneck.jpg

[email protected]
05-11-2007, 05:13 AM
how much is gas there in cowtown anyway? $1.30?
didnt think so...

?
is it?

Broken Fusion!
05-11-2007, 05:13 AM
I prefer this one:

http://www.girlontheright.com/redneck.jpg

Fast Orange
05-11-2007, 09:24 AM
They figured out that they could make a lot of money by taxing gas at about 20 times the rate North America does?

I heard they have a lot less potholes over there. Connection?

gearwh0re
05-11-2007, 09:34 AM
They figured out that they could make a lot of money by taxing gas at about 20 times the rate North America does?i would say yes

.glib
05-11-2007, 09:53 AM
I heard they have a lot less potholes over there. Connection?

More pot to fill said holes?

Fast Orange
05-11-2007, 10:12 AM
More pot to fill said holes?

if by that you mean more tax revenue being available to improve infrastructure then yes.

damn cleanse, I'm not able to get high right now so your post wasn't funny to me. :(

switch
05-11-2007, 11:05 AM
I heard they have a lot less potholes over there. Connection?It's hard to make potholes in cobble stone.

It's interesting that in some other countries your insurance rate (or annual license fee) is based on engine size.

three sheets
05-11-2007, 02:13 PM
What if everybody that could possibly do this, did.....

Yeah,dont buy gas....dont drive either.

Then,all participants of this "protest" should attempt to travel to work by transit.

It will be a long day,and you probably wont make it to work on time,or at all,but it will prove more than one point.

.glib
05-11-2007, 06:08 PM
if by that you mean more tax revenue being available to improve infrastructure then yes.

damn cleanse, I'm not able to get high right now so your post wasn't funny to me. :(

Well I'm out, so all I can do is sip whiskey, so it wasn't that funny to me either :(.

biopace
05-11-2007, 07:02 PM
For all the whining and complaining in this thread, I actually think the one-day boycott would do some good. Not as much as a one-day-don't-drive boycott would do, but it's still something.

So far, oil companies have known that consumers were 1. extremely disorganized as a collective group, and 2. unwilling to make even the slightest change, no matter how small, to make a point.

A one-day boycott would not likely result in overall decreased consumption of gas. Like everyone pointed out, people would either stock up before hand, or just buy the next day.

However, if the one-day-boycott proved to be widespread, I truly believe that it would give oil/gasoline providers a pause. It would show them that consumers were indeed willing to take action (revolutions start small) and perhaps create a small crack in their perceived invincibility.

umbullit
05-11-2007, 07:56 PM
take it one step further.
dont buy anything that is plastic that day.
dont turn on your electricity, or heat your home, or use anything. caus whatever you do, your still supporting oil.

Sure. dont fill up for a day.
but want to make a better message. Dont buy a big car. they know that we rely on them. grow all your own food, raise your own animals. Caus come on, how do you think the food you buy gets to the store?

gearwh0re
05-11-2007, 08:13 PM
For all the whining and complaining in this thread, I actually think the one-day boycott would do some good. Not as much as a one-day-don't-drive boycott would do, but it's still something..

i COMPLETELY disagree.

1. if gas bought for the month remains unchanged, big oil doesn't care when it was bought
2. if the boycott is a failure, it does exactly the opposite of what you think it will (shows big oil that we are slaves to oil and can't even go a day without it at 1.30)
3. "don't drive for a day" makes a LITTLE sense, much more than don't buy day. still won't do anything unless people start using less gas OVERALL

gearwh0re
05-11-2007, 08:14 PM
t Dont buy a big car. ?yeah, buy a hybrid and commute for 15 hours a week!

switch
05-11-2007, 08:19 PM
What's with the hate on cars? Why not stop flying for a year? Instead of flying to Europe, take a vacation at home and see things you haven't.

Cut down on the use of jet fuel!

gooch
05-11-2007, 08:21 PM
People could actually affect gas prices at the pump if they could get the delivery schedule for gas stations, and then coordinate their purchases to avoid gas stations early in their delivery schedule

gooch
05-11-2007, 08:23 PM
What's with the hate on cars? Why not stop flying for a year? Instead of flying to Europe, take a vacation at home and see things you haven't.

Or travel by train, these steam locamotives use zero gas

http://www.mrsr.com/images/winter-special.jpg

white ri0t
05-11-2007, 08:24 PM

what, and compromise my lifestyle? inconvenience myself a little bit? what are you crazy?

switch
05-11-2007, 08:43 PM
what, and compromise my lifestyle? inconvenience myself a little bit? what are you crazy?What are you planning to do - take a flight to Ladysmith?

white ri0t
05-11-2007, 08:46 PM
What are you planning to do - take a flight to Ladysmith?
no but I could be one of those fat cat politicos that flies to and from the island all the time!

smoochy
05-11-2007, 09:40 PM
take it one step further.
dont buy anything that is plastic that day.
dont turn on your electricity, or heat your home, or use anything. caus whatever you do, your still supporting oil.

Sure. dont fill up for a day.
but want to make a better message. Dont buy a big car. they know that we rely on them. grow all your own food, raise your own animals. Caus come on, how do you think the food you buy gets to the store?

life isn't about all or nothing.
acknowledging that we do need oil under many circumstances, this boycott is pretty futile only in the sense that our habits are what form the situations in which we find ourselves.

That said, the symbolism of a (successful) one-day boycott could have power and a strong message.

pick your poison.

evdog
05-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Boycotting all the gas stations for a day will have no impact on sales, not just because we could never get enough people organized to make a noticeable drop, but like others have said, we would still need to fill up the day after or before. Ideally everyone would stop driving altogether but we all know that will never happen.

There is a much better protest being considered that actually could have an effect, without hindering those who don't care enough to inconvenience themselves by not driving. I received this as a chain email this morning and makes a lot more sense. Feel free to forward it on. It would work better because the one company targeted (I would propose ESSO as they are owned by Exxon/Mobil) would feel a drop in sales if we could pass this on to enough people.

Unfortunately we won't see that much of a drop in prices even with our best efforts - maybe 15-25 cents a litre depending where you live. I think we all saw the article this week about gas companies' price gouging - the link to the full report referred to by the news is below. It basically says that the gas companies have changed their pricing since we have broken the $1/L psychological barrier and that prices no longer track with the price of oil and production. If this sort of protest could be organized we might be able to influence prices back to be more in line with costs. Unfortunately we can't ask for much more than that unless we take on OPEC.

http://policyalternatives.ca/Reports/2007/05/ReportsStudies1624/index.cfm?pa=BB736455

Here is the email I received (from the US but switch out Exxon/Mobile for ESSO if you forward on!!)

You probably have ALL already seen this but screw EXXON and MOBILE. I know I am =)

I know you

Broken Fusion!
05-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Where's the "junk mail" button around here?

Forward this message to 10 people in 5 minutes or you will never get laid again. Seriously.

biggles604
05-12-2007, 12:35 AM
Did I ever mention I was a Nigerian Prince?

gooch
05-12-2007, 12:39 AM
Did I ever mention I was a Nigerian Prince?

I got your email, I've opened the accounts like you said

.glib
05-12-2007, 01:02 AM
I forward it to everyone I know, three times, and made sure to change the subject each time to things like 'yuor women will b surpisd, supr vigera'.

Then I Saved The Cheerleader.

Lady Gravity
05-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Forward this message to 10 people in 5 minutes or you will never get laid again. Seriously.

ahhhhh...well that explains everything

Broken Fusion!
05-12-2007, 02:08 AM
ahhhhh...well that explains everything

Well whatever you do, don't get em mixed up and forward the Nigerian bank account email 10 times.

Nothing like 10 guys who don't speak english showing up at your door wearing shirts that say "I'm here for the gangbang"

Fast Orange
05-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Can somebody PLEASE tell me why we are owed cheap gas?

I say we follow europe and tax the crap out of it except with write off opportunities for people who need big trucks for their jobs. Make it 2.00 a litre and then keep it there, we can use the extra money for make benefit the glorious nation of canuckistan. Then everyone can drive around in little cars and find other ways to feel secure.

gooch
05-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Well whatever you do, don't get em mixed up and forward the Nigerian bank account email 10 times.

Nothing like 10 guys who don't speak english showing up at your door wearing shirts that say "I'm here for the gangbang"

So that's where they ended up, gearwhore must have got the directions wrong

Fast Orange
05-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Where's the "junk mail" button around here?

ummm what exactly was he trying to sell?

sounded like a great idea to me, much better than one measly buy no gas day that will just make the ceo's chuckle.

Wayne P
05-12-2007, 06:42 AM
How am I supposed to get to the drive thru Starbucks for my cinnamon loaf and hazelnut latte? Sheesh.

freerider guy
05-12-2007, 06:46 AM
good old facebook does it again. my friend made a event called fill up on may 15. this is what he wrote.

You might have heard some people telling everyone to not buy gas on May 15th.

These people are idiots.

Why?

1) A boycott will actually HELP the oil companies and put MORE MONEY in their pockets.

To make this easy to understand for hippies who stopped taking Math after grade 7, we are going to use small numbers.

Let's say that the oil companies have 10 gallons of gasoline per day to sell, and the going price is $3 per gallon. Let's say that there is no boycott and it is business as usual on the 15th and 16th.
On May 15th, they are going to sell 10 gallons at $3/gallon = $30.
On May 16th, they are going to sell 10 gallons at $3/gallon = $30.

Now let's suppose that a boycott takes place on the 15th, and nobody buys gas all day. Desperate to sell gas, the oil companies drop the price to $2 per gallon.
On May 15th, they are going to get 0 x $2 = $0. (since nobody is buying gas, it doesn't matter what the price is, they are not going to get any money).
On May 16th, everybody rushes out to the pump, desperate for gas. People will buy two days' worth of gas in one day, since they didn't fill up yesterday. Now the oil companies have everyone by the balls. What are the going to do? Raise the price, of course.
So, on May 16th, they will sell 20 gallons at $4/gallon = $80.

So, to recap: with no boycott, the oil companies make $60 over two days. With a boycott on the 15th, the oil companies make $80 over two days.

2) A boycott is terrible for the environment.

The gas supply chain is finely tuned and runs like clockwork. If the huge gas tanker trucks arrive at the pumps on the 15th and find that nobody is buying gas (so there is no room for them to put the gas they brought), they will turn back and will have made the trip for nothing. The next day, they will need to make TWO trips because so many people will be buying gas at the pump. Congratulations, the boycott just caused a HUGE waste of gasoline because all these huge gas delivery trucks had to make extra trips.

3) A boycott does not even address the real issue.

http://www.caa.ca/mini%20sites/gasprice/images/img_gaspie.gif

The oil companies are not evil greedy monsters. As you can see in the above pie chart, only about 3% of the price of gas is profit for the oil company. The real reasons gas prices are high are:
1) Government taxes.
2) Crude oil prices are going up (increasing demand, declining supply).

Want lower prices at the pump?
1) Vote for parties that want to cut taxes and shrink the government (Conservative or Libertarian - not to be confused with Liberal).
2) USE LESS GAS. Buy a hybrid. Take a bike. CARPOOL!

Environmentalism is cool. Stupid ideas like gas boycotts are not.

Wayne P
05-12-2007, 06:56 AM
Nice! Starbucks it is!

switch
05-12-2007, 09:31 AM
Boycotting a couple gas companies would be cool, and would have the desired effect, but there's no way it could be pulled off as there are too many people who don't care.

Adam West
05-12-2007, 05:36 PM

I say we follow europe and tax the crap out of it except with write off opportunities for people who need big trucks for their jobs. Make it 2.00 a litre and then keep it there, we can use the extra money for make benefit the glorious nation of canuckistan. Then everyone can drive around in little cars and find other ways to feel secure.

maybe if they actualy used to money for stuff... like fixing roads

downtown sooke still has a gravel road

Adam West
05-12-2007, 06:03 PM
Excuse me?

the gas station...

Couch_Surfer
05-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Can somebody PLEASE tell me why we are owed untaxed marijuana?

I say we follow europe and tax the crap out of it except with write off opportunities for people who need it for medical purposes. Make it 200 an ounce and then keep it there, we can use the extra money for make benefit the glorious nation of canuckistan. Then everyone can smoke bongs and find other ways to feel secure.

Fixed your post

switch
05-13-2007, 01:46 AM
Excuse me?:lol:

Fast Orange
05-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Fixed your post

Nice one!

however,

the external damge of gas consumption makes the externalities of pot smoking seem rather benign.

Pot consumption does not cause nearly as much pollution or wear on infrastructure. The largest external effect I can see it having is increased sales for pizza delivery and convenience stores.

CraigH
05-13-2007, 06:16 AM

http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0826/p01s03-woeu.html

Thanks! That is an interesting article, especially the graph at the bottom.

Troup
05-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Sure this a good idea and all, but only a small percentage of the population is going to not buy gas on May 15th...One day would lower prices maybe, but for what? 2 days? Think about it, who buys fuel everyday in the first place?

What needs to happen is a fuel surcharge levy on vehicles using larger amounts of fuel and putting out more emissions(namely SUVs/trucks). If the people who owned these monstrosities had to pay 50 cents extra per liter, it might make them think twice, and it would lower the gas prices for us responsible folks!

switch
05-13-2007, 10:00 AM
You could drive a small engined car like it's a hot rod, and you'll get the same gas mileage as someone in a truck driving conservatively. You could have a 1990 Toyota Corolla that pumps out NO and CO, and CO2 like crazy, and a new SUV that pumps out 10% of that Corolla.

Generalization isn't a good idea. The current system of paying more because you use more (through taxation) is enough of a penalty.

Tom
05-13-2007, 04:21 PM
You could drive a small engined car like it's a hot rod, and you'll get the same gas mileage as someone in a truck driving conservatively.

I just got a full size truck with a 350 and am light on the throttle and get pretty decent mileage, maybe even better then in my ranger, where I had to floor it all the time to get anywhere.

smoochy
05-13-2007, 05:09 PM

we are not owed cheap gas - rather, we are captured by it. massive distances across the country, fairly sparse cities, centralized production. we have a system that was built around cheap oil and we are stuck with it until we are willing to pay a massive amount to upgrade our infrastructure to match the needs of the future. looking at the resistance to the RAV line, i'd say we have a way to go yet.

the big pisser isn't that gas price is going up - rather that it is going up while oil companies post record profits, quarter after quarter. that's called profiteering off the system they helped to nudge into place over the last 150 years...

gearwh0re
05-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Sure this a good idea and all, but only a small percentage of the population is going to not buy gas on May 15th...One day would lower prices maybe, but for what? 2 days? Think about it, who buys fuel everyday in the first place?

What needs to happen is a fuel surcharge levy on vehicles using larger amounts of fuel and putting out more emissions(namely SUVs/trucks). If the people who owned these monstrosities had to pay 50 cents extra per liter, it might make them think twice, and it would lower the gas prices for us responsible folks!
-its not a good idea. it is a very bad one
-why make people pay more PER LITRE? if they drive alot and consume alot of gas they will pay more because they consume more

it is funny. i agree we need an attitude adjustment. but it is so funny the knee jerk reaction of ignorant people who think only SUVs are the problem

- no mention of energy waste at home
-no mention of the guy who commutes in a 4 banger from abbotsford to vancouver every day
-no mention of energy waste and pollution by industry
-no call for airlines to cancel flights that are less than half full
--etc etc

alot needs to change. one of the first is people's hard on against SUVs. consumers like them so companies will build them, end of story.

KenN
05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
a lot needs to change. one of the first is people's hard on against SUVs. consumers like them so companies will build them, end of story.

Which came first, consumer desire or advertising? Consumers buy SUVs because they're advertised heavily, and many consumers are highly suggestible. Advertising SUVs as strong, manly, safe (which they aren't), etc. sells these useless big behemoths. If small cars are advertised as quick, sexy, fun and economical the people will buy those. Advertising works - otherwise large corporations wouldn't continue to spend millions (billions?) on it!

Kn.

Troup
05-13-2007, 07:51 PM
-its not a good idea. it is a very bad one
-why make people pay more PER LITRE? if they drive alot and consume alot of gas they will pay more because they consume more

it is funny. i agree we need an attitude adjustment. but it is so funny the knee jerk reaction of ignorant people who think only SUVs are the problemI assume you own a big piece of shit the way you're talking, make them pay more per L so they become hopefully sick and tired of having to pay the ridiculou$ amount every week to keep their truck on the road and jealous of people with economical cars! Maybe you're on NSMB too often to LOOK OUTSIDE at how many goddamn SUVs/fullsize trucks there are, only on the road for "family comfort and style", with 4x4 for the snow we get twice a year(trying to compensate for what bad drivers they are) it makes me sick, ignorant f**ks. Who said I think SUVs and fullsize trucks are the ONLY problem? This thread is relating to fuel for vehicles, no? what else is on the road that is not needed to be on the road other than fullsize trucks and sport utility vehicles? I'm all for personal freedom, but really, who the hell wants this world to end in a black smog fuelled death?

- no mention of energy waste at home
-no mention of the guy who commutes in a 4 banger from abbotsford to vancouver every day
-no mention of energy waste and pollution by industry
-no call for airlines to cancel flights that are less than half full
--etc etc

alot needs to change. one of the first is people's hard on against SUVs. consumers like them so companies will build them, end of story.
You know, I do know the facts, the average car pollutes as much as an airplane upon takeoff yadda yadda, but this thread isn't about that.
-Lots has been done in an attempt to try and get people to minimize their energy use at home.
-at least his car doesn't have a V8 in it, but yes, carpooling is great.
-I realize, it's harsh.
-I agree
--this thread is about gas, for vehicles.

Adam West
05-13-2007, 07:59 PM
orrrrrrr
you could just suck it up

gooch
05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
Nice one!

however,

the external damge of gas consumption makes the externalities of pot smoking seem rather benign.

Pot consumption does not cause nearly as much pollution or wear on infrastructure. The largest external effect I can see it having is increased sales for pizza delivery and convenience stores.

Yes cause there are no crimes commited related to pot

.glib
05-13-2007, 08:23 PM
Yes cause there are no crimes commited related to pot

Considering the bitching that goes on when gas goes up a few cents, just imagine what would happen if we made it illegal.

gooch
05-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Considering the bitching that goes on when gas goes up a few cents, just imagine what would happen if we made it illegal.

Fantastic arguement, anyone can see the obvious connection between the two items

.glib
05-13-2007, 08:39 PM
Fantastic arguement, anyone can see the obvious connection between the two items

What, between banning something and creating a black market for it?

switch
05-13-2007, 11:38 PM
You know, I do know the facts, the average car pollutes as much as an airplane upon takeoff yadda yadda, but this thread isn't about that.That's good that this thread isn't about that, because you're wrong.

Commercial jets use 2 to 3 times more fuel per passenger per mile than an automobile does. They release all their pollution where it's not easily absorbed (higher atmosphere). The create a very large amount of NOx.

In fact, emissions due to automobile pollution are down; from 1960 levels, they are down 98% for hydrocarbons, 96% for carbon monoxide and 90% for nitrogen oxides. Automobiles are becoming less of a contributor to air pollution. Instead, other fuel-driven, stationary systems - including factories and oil refineries - are becoming the predominate contributors to harmful emissions. The extremely high emissions levels of airplanes and airports are also gaining concern, as in airports like the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) where airplane produced emissions are one of the largest sources of smog in the entire city.

You want to cut down on pollutants? Stop using your computer.

gearwh0re
05-14-2007, 04:43 AM
In fact, emissions due to automobile pollution are down; from 1960 levels, they are down 98% for hydrocarbons, 96% for carbon monoxide and 90% for nitrogen oxides. .a little misleading. per car they are down. overall they are up

gearwh0re
05-14-2007, 04:47 AM
I assume you own a big piece of shit the way you're talking, make them pay more per L so they become hopefully sick and tired of having to pay the ridiculou$ amount every week to keep their truck on the road and jealous of people with economical cars! Maybe you're on NSMB too often to LOOK OUTSIDE at how many goddamn SUVs/fullsize trucks there are, only on the road for "family comfort and style", with 4x4 for the snow we get twice a year(trying to compensate for what bad drivers they are) it makes me sick, ignorant f**ks. Who said I think SUVs and fullsize trucks are the ONLY problem? This thread is relating to fuel for vehicles, no? what else is on the road that is not needed to be on the road other than fullsize trucks and sport utility vehicles? I'm all for personal freedom, but really, who the hell wants this world to end in a black smog fuelled death?

You know, I do know the facts, the average car pollutes as much as an airplane upon takeoff yadda yadda, but this thread isn't about that.
-Lots has been done in an attempt to try and get people to minimize their energy use at home.
-at least his car doesn't have a V8 in it, but yes, carpooling is great.
-I realize, it's harsh.
-I agree
--this thread is about gas, for vehicles.everyone always picks on you as not being too bright. and now i see it is for good reason.

Couch_Surfer
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
everyone always picks on you as not being too bright. and now i see it is for good reason.

I was going to neg rep his post, but that just felt redundant.

Tom
05-14-2007, 08:24 AM
I won't be buying gas on the 15th because I bought $70 worth today...that'll show those oil companies!

switch
05-14-2007, 10:54 AM
May 16 is "don't use electricity day".

What scheduled for May 17?

Tom
05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
May 16 is "don't use electricity day".

What scheduled for May 17?

"Don't use toilet paper day"

.glib
05-14-2007, 05:34 PM
May 18th is no f*cking day. Conserve world sperm!

KenN
05-14-2007, 05:50 PM
"Don't use toilet paper day"

Applies to Sheryl Crow only ...

Kn.

switch
05-14-2007, 06:06 PM
May 18th is no f*cking day. Conserve world sperm!There's no way in hell Bukkake is going to follow that.

.glib
05-14-2007, 06:09 PM
There's no way in hell Bukkake is going to follow that.
Bukkake never stops thinking about the environment. 10 years on a bike seat has ensured he's firing blanks.

smoochy
05-15-2007, 01:52 AM
another good discussion gone personal.
long live NBR...

Fast Orange
05-15-2007, 05:23 AM
Bukkake never stops thinking about the environment. 10 years on a bike seat has ensured he's firing blanks.

I think one way to lessen my impact is to not have children, at least I can still go through the motions but who knows how much longer that will last.

Turn7
05-15-2007, 07:41 AM
I won't be buying gas on the 15th because I bought $70 worth today...that'll show those oil companies!

Yah stick it to them.....:P

[no more rep to give...]

Grimace
05-15-2007, 08:54 AM
well i filled up today for 97 cents a litre man im glad i bought a deisel

three sheets
05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
well i filled up today for 97 cents a litre man im glad i bought a deisel

Oh man,I need diesel too...like 200 litres of it.

But diesel ain't gas right?

...phew....dodged a bullet there,didn't want to have to wait till tomorrow!

gearwh0re
05-15-2007, 07:00 PM
fack, my tanks are full

i guess i will go and fill up a few jerry cans

243_ht
05-15-2007, 07:11 PM
yeah i really do have an urge to go buy gas right now.

Adam West
05-16-2007, 12:41 AM
fack, my tanks are full

i guess i will go and fill up a few jerry cans

hahaa thats what i did filled my car up ... filled my old mans truck up whoooo im goin nuts!

Faithless
05-16-2007, 01:01 AM
gas is pretty cheap today :P

Aeropusher
05-16-2007, 01:37 AM
I bought new tires....just as a protest to the poor handling of my truck.

Carl Wilco
05-16-2007, 01:46 AM
It would be pretty hilarious if they jacked gas prices way higher than ever tomorrow just to teach consumers a lesson.

1994canucks
05-16-2007, 03:34 AM
I stopped off today to get a snack... the lady there was complaining that it was slow. I said good. She went off.
Thought I was going off on her.
I said lady I'm not going off on you just the company you work for.