PDA

View Full Version : windows xp tasks question

Putty
04-04-2006, 02:58 AM
anyone know what the win xp minimum task list is?

ie, what are the essential tasks required to run the system?

i want to see if i can squeeze any more gaming juice out of my system by killing all non-essential tasks.

thanks.

0_o
04-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Just give it a good shake above your head.

http://www.timewarptoys.com/etch.jpg

Munky!
04-04-2006, 03:52 AM
rule of thumb, leave everything that says "SYSTEM", and explorer of course. but thats not going to change much is terms of preformance... its just virtual memory, not much cpu time.

Putty
04-04-2006, 04:59 AM
i think this may be a stupid question, as it going to vary per brand etc...?

kalisto
04-04-2006, 05:44 AM
Brand?

Not quite, thought most "big named" computer come preloaded with quite a bit of software, which will in term use quite a bit of memory.

Honestly, just randomly try ending processes. If you computer still works after you end it, then it's fine.... If not... restart. There's really no harm, and you learn a bit about what is needed, and what is not. Also, look up what is running in your memory on the internet, it will tell you what everything is for...

eg.

csrss.exe SYSTEM

Microsoft Client/Server Runtime Server Subsystem // fairly important.

Goodluck

What's wrong with the game? Lagging? Freezing? Glitches?

biopace
04-04-2006, 06:19 AM
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

That will tell you what the most common tasks are up to and recommend whether or not they are necessary.

huckit59
04-04-2006, 06:21 AM
just remember this part csrss.exe because if you delete something you shoudnt you could always reopen it if it didnt have too large of an effect but its best to leave system stuff alone unless you know what it does

kalisto
04-04-2006, 06:53 AM
Not deleting, just ending... Ending the process, it will re-open once you restart. No harm done.

Tony G
04-04-2006, 07:46 AM
anyone know what the win xp minimum task list is?

ie, what are the essential tasks required to run the system?

i want to see if i can squeeze any more gaming juice out of my system by killing all non-essential tasks.

thanks.

what game u playin?...if ur playin cs or any hl related game then ur answer is in your game console or your videocard. removing idle programs wont help you.