PDA

View Full Version : speeding ticket question

shrankman
11-25-2005, 10:18 PM
i got a speeding ticket but nowhere on the ticket does it say how fast i was going (cop told me 105 in a 90 zone hwy1) - doesn;t it need to stated on the violation ticket the speed of the offending driver?

[email protected]
11-25-2005, 10:25 PM
No.

He didn't pull you over for fun.

He pulled you over because you were speeding.

The judge and the officer will eat you alive in court if you try to pull that one out.

Jerry-Rig
11-25-2005, 10:54 PM
it should say on the ticket how fast you were going. I would research the issue and see if its worth fighting.... actually all tickets are worth fighting. If everyone disputes a ticket, it'll tie up the whole court system.

aShogunNamedMarcus
11-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Why not just call your local non emerg police dept and ask them?

Loopie
11-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Depends on the circumctances a bit.
My last ticket didn't have the speed on it...but I was doing the limit and the cop was behind me (didn't notice)...but then I pulled out and blew past the car in front of me:D...it's safe for him to say I was speeding.

Biking Fiend
11-25-2005, 11:39 PM
They can tell by your fine to, if iyour speed is over something like 20 kmph than the limit it increases alot more.

[email protected]
11-25-2005, 11:42 PM
If everyone disputes a ticket, it'll tie up the whole court system.

I don't know about you 'Rig, but I'd rather see the court system full of bike thieves, drug dealers and violent offenders, and not bogged down by a bunch of guys with "N"' 's disputing their first speeding ticket.

The best way to shake off a ticket is to not speed, or at very least, pick and choose where and when you do (ie: it's safer to speed on an open highway with no traffic than doing 80 down Lonsdale) and be prepared to pay if you get caught . :idea:

Jerry-Rig
11-26-2005, 12:02 AM
I don't know about you 'Rig, but I'd rather see the court system full of bike thieves, drug dealers and violent offenders, and not bogged down by a bunch of guys with "N"' 's disputing their first speeding ticket.

The best way to shake off a ticket is to not speed, or at very least, pick and choose where and when you do (ie: it's safer to speed on an open highway with no traffic than doing 80 down Lonsdale) and be prepared to pay if you get caught . :idea:

If the court system is tied up, the cops are not going to waste their time and tax payers money sitting on the side of the road issuing tickets. It would free up their time to nab criminals.
Based on personal experience, drivers causing accidents are the ones who drive slow. Anyone driving up to Whistler will agree on this.

Flames
11-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Corey's right, just don't speed. I've learned the hard way twice, and insurance will mess you over, at least in Ontario

Jerry-Rig
11-26-2005, 12:06 AM
I'd like to know someone who never speeds..... gimme a break.

[email protected]
11-26-2005, 12:09 AM
If the court system is tied up, the cops are not going to waste their time and tax payers money sitting on the side of the road issuing tickets. It would free up their time to nab criminals.
Based on personal experience, drivers causing accidents are the ones who drive slow. Anyone driving up to Whistler will agree on this.

Agreed. Rig brings up good points here.

Jerry-Rig
11-26-2005, 12:16 AM
Agreed. Rig brings up good points here.

come to the dark side Mr. Banninator......

http://www.starwars.jp/machine/image/death_star2.jpg

APT
11-26-2005, 12:18 AM
The key is not to get caught while speeding.

Rat
11-26-2005, 12:30 AM
Id like synchro to weigh in on the benefits and downsides of speeding.

aShogunNamedMarcus
11-26-2005, 12:35 AM
The key is not to get caught while speeding.

Sounds like just any other crime....

[email protected]
11-26-2005, 12:38 AM

Where do I sign?

http://www.virgin.net/movies/moviespecials/starwars/episode3preview/pix/03_main.jpg

Chief
11-26-2005, 01:06 AM
ya really who does not speed?

Flames
11-26-2005, 05:18 AM
Granted, everyone speeds, but some are better at it than others.

And, some don't get caught, as often, or ever, as some of the more, unlucky drivers.

Oysterboyz
11-26-2005, 05:41 AM

:lol: I don't believe any of this. Are you saying that some guy driving 80 in a school zone will be less likely to run over a child than someone driving 30?

Unless you meant "driving slow" as in, driving 45 in a 50 zone. In which case, accidents are not caused by the slower drivers but by the impatient drivers behind who need to get one car length ahead, having to cut across the other side of the road and hitting on-coming traffic while the slower driver watches in horror. Then, yes, it's driving slow that causes accidents. I bet people who sit in their car waiting at a red light cause more accidents too because they're so slow they aren't even moving.

Based on personal experience, people who speed and are impatient and generally immature drivers cause collisions. Carelessness is also a big factor, but we're just talking about fast drivers vs. slow here.

For the record, yes, I tend to drive a little faster (10-15 km/h faster) on straight, empty roads, than I should and if I get caught, I probably deserve it. However, living in the middle of Vancouver where there's always traffic, I probably average +/- 5km/h of the speed limit.

switch
11-26-2005, 08:55 AM

:lol:

If you're "speeding" in a school zone, or residential area, that's very bad.

On a freeway where driving conditions are good, the "speed limit" should be considered a suggestion.

Speed doesn't kill - bad drivers kill. I played soccer with a bunch of ICBC workers (half of them execs), and they all said the "speed kills" stuff is BS.

Anyways, as for the ticket, the police officer does have to indicate how fast you were going, as well as where the offence occurred. The officer will most definitely do this if you go to court.

S-Dawg
11-26-2005, 09:40 AM
speed really doesnt mean anything, its impatience. y does everyone feel like they need to be on ur ass, and they have to pass u just to get one car length infront, u dont get anywhere faster and if u do its seconds faster. Everyone just needs to chill and relax when driving. Ya some people may be in a hurry once in a while, but its turned into habit so everytime they dirve its agressive and inpatient, thats wut kills. And possibly just stupidity and not realizing these things.

patrolskid
11-26-2005, 06:17 PM
here's another one of those " i broke the law , can you guys help me get away with it ? " threads . . . .

here's one for ya buddy : ya fucked up , ya got caught , now man up and take yer lumps . you'll get over it , and you'll learn from it . carry on . . . .

and ya , i drive , about 30,000 k ( sometimes more ) a year . and i speed too . in my whole driving career ( 31 years , 10 as a professional ) i have received 3 tickets , only 1 for excessive speed , and that was because i was pacing my bosses' ( the head coach ) vehicle to get to a race venue on time . my car maxes out at around 120 . i drive the sea to sky as much as anyone . my point is , there is a time and a place .

apparently you are relatively new to this game . consider the ticket part of the learning curve .

patrolskid
11-26-2005, 06:33 PM
and jerry , while i agree with you on the point of slow drivers being a root cause of problems on the roads , i don't agree that tying up the court system with challenges to rolling violations will do anything to deter traffic cops from doing their jobs . it just ain't going to happen that way . . .

switch
11-26-2005, 11:19 PM
and jerry , while i agree with you on the point of slow drivers being a root cause of problems on the roads , i don't agree that tying up the court system with challenges to rolling violations will do anything to deter traffic cops from doing their jobs . it just ain't going to happen that way . . .Not while tickets bring in revenue.

SEKTER13
11-27-2005, 01:20 AM
I think it depends on the driver too, there is some guys I know that speed a lot, but theyre not reckless(well theyre speeding so maybe a little bit) and theyre damn good drivers, I feel safer doing 150km/h with them then other people doing 70km/h. Some drivers are just better. Impatient, reckless, panic-driven drivers cause accidents.

S-Dawg
11-27-2005, 02:35 AM
where are they doing 150 and its safe? basically not anywhere around here

switch
11-27-2005, 09:01 AM
where are they doing 150 and its safe? basically not anywhere around hereOn the Inland highway on Vancouver Island, with a decent vehicle, 150kph is not a problem. It's probably one of the best highways in the world. If you go 130kph on that highway, you'll get passed frequently.

Heatmizer
11-27-2005, 09:19 AM
I think it depends on the driver too, there is some guys I know that speed a lot, but theyre not reckless(well theyre speeding so maybe a little bit) and theyre damn good drivers, I feel safer doing 150km/h with them then other people doing 70km/h. Some drivers are just better. Impatient, reckless, panic-driven drivers cause accidents.

Your definition of a good driver is scary. The fact they haven't killed anyone doesn't mean they're good.

IFO has the best analogy for this: If you think you're fast on a bike get behind a pro rider on A-Line and see if you can keep up.

So put your friends on a road course with pro drivers - if they can keep up then they're good drivers, if not then hopefully they hit a pole instead of a school bus when they do fuck up.

Speed itself doesn't kill - however, excessive speed is usually connected to reckless behaviour, which is a shitty combo. Last saturday driving along Hwy1 @ 7am some asshole passes everyone on the shoulder doing about 160 - I was doing 110 and he passed fast enough in his honda for me to feel the tug of the air pressure in my truck. It's a pity there wasn't a dump truck broken down on the shoulder to finish him off.

Everyone has cell phones these days - if you're gonna be late, make a call instead of flooring it.

rfoubi
11-27-2005, 07:51 PM
where are they doing 150 and its safe? basically not anywhere around here

150+ on the coq (out of the lwr mainland) is way way safer IMO (if its not snowing etc) than doing 70 in the city