03-30-2005, 07:56 PM
I just read this , pretty grim

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4392217.stm :( :(

gooch
03-30-2005, 08:15 PM
meaning?

Tom P
03-30-2005, 08:19 PM
Its another case of our society "managing" a species, where the management objectives are based partly on science and mainly on the wishes of an industry that doesnt want to take full credit for the collapse of the cod fishery.

biopace
03-30-2005, 08:54 PM
Usual human strategy for stewardship of nature:

1. Hunt, fish, kill predators in an ecosystem.

2. Hunt, fish, kill all other creatures in the ecosystem.

3. Destroy ecosystem.

4. Complain when same people try to "fix" ecosystem.

5. Blame death of ecosystem on "natural forces" and policies of previous governments.

6. Continue like nothing is wrong.

Ashek
03-30-2005, 09:12 PM
well... our country's reputation is repeatedly smeared everytime something like this happens...

Awww the poor baby seals... if it was wolves, or barracudas, you wouldnt see the same kind of bleeding heart media coverage...
but no, its the poor cute fluffy seals, so if it bleeds it leads.

three sheets
03-30-2005, 09:35 PM
Is it really a hunt if you can walk up to the animal and bonk it on the head?

I really shouldnt say too much though...my forefathers relied on the hunt for survival.

biopace
03-30-2005, 09:37 PM
People protest the wolf hunts often.

http://news.muzi.com/ll/english/1337858.shtml

http://pressroom.akwildlife.org/objects/view.acs?object_id=5248

http://www.riverdeep.net/current/2002/01/012102t_deer.jhtml

It's not so much the killing, but the killing of seal pups, and the skinning of seals while they are still alive.

Col. Sanders
03-30-2005, 09:38 PM
It's funny how culling some animals is acceptable and others aren't. Like I have no problem with Canada's seal hunt or Australia's rabiit culls, yet I totally disagree with some african countries elephant culls. Go figure.

Fast Orange
03-30-2005, 09:52 PM
You guys know that joke?
Guy walks into a bar, ouch?

Ok, this baby seal walks into a club.....

LeeLau
03-30-2005, 10:37 PM
at least it gives unemployed newfies something to do

three sheets
03-30-2005, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by LeeLau
at least it gives unemployed newfies something to do

better than X-box!:eek:

FullMonty
03-30-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by derwood
better than X-box!:eek:

more life-like, with BLOOD SPURTING ACTION!

Kevin26
03-30-2005, 11:13 PM
there are lots of seals around...

three sheets
03-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Kevin26
there are lots of seals around... lots of bears too.....easier to make a coat out of as well......

FullMonty
03-30-2005, 11:25 PM
I think it would be awesome if a few pods of orcas got together, and tilted all the dead seal bodies and hunters on the ice floe into the water, and munched down...

I agree that it's not a hunt if you can calmly walk up to the animal and smoke it in the dome with a club.

Shore Rydah
03-31-2005, 01:32 AM
u know what i dont get, they can go beating seals to death because they are abundant.

LOOK AT THE HUMAN RACE, we are overpopulating the planet. does that mean its right for a bunch of ppl to beat us to death with clubs??? NO

I find this occasion disgusting seeing videos of hunters running around slaying these mammals.

Broken Fusion!
03-31-2005, 02:09 AM
it sucks, but there are so many damn seals and it's our own fault...
we should be more worried about poachers hunting endangered tigers/elephants... the destruction of the rainforests... everything else that humans are doing to fuck themselves as hard as possible

Jee Force
03-31-2005, 02:20 AM
Where do I sign up?

crazybmxer12
03-31-2005, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Shore Rydah
u know what i dont get, they can go beating seals to death because they are abundant.

LOOK AT THE HUMAN RACE, we are overpopulating the planet. does that mean its right for a bunch of ppl to beat us to death with clubs??? NO

I find this occasion disgusting seeing videos of hunters running around slaying these mammals.

They are not beating seals to death because they are abundant they are killing them because there is so many that it is harming other parts of our invironment, Mainly the amounts of fish. I think this is good for our invironment and needs to be done to preserve it, oviasly the people regulating this do to as they are monitoring the amounts of animals in the species. It may be inhumane but it has to be done.

Shore Rydah
03-31-2005, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by crazybmxer12
They are not beating seals to death because they are abundant they are killing them because there is so many that it is harming other parts of our invironment, Mainly the amounts of fish. I think this is good for our invironment and needs to be done to preserve it, oviasly the people regulating this do to as they are monitoring the amounts of animals in the species. It may be inhumane but it has to be done.

whatever, either way it still doesnt make sense, seems hypocritical saying they do damage to the environment.

Ashek
03-31-2005, 03:26 AM

can I use this as a sig? its fantastic.
represents everything that is wrong with giving 12 year olds access to the interdweeb.

Tom P
03-31-2005, 03:27 AM
they are killing them because there is so many that it is harming other parts of our invironment, Mainly the amounts of fish.

the lack of a cod fishery is due to many years of over harvesting by the east coast fishery. The seals are a convenient scapegoat and take the attention away from what really happened to all the cod in the first place. Humans have done more harm to the east coast fish stocks than seals will ever do.

It is beyond the scope of the human race to manage large populations of wild animals. Its an experiment which fails time and time again.

crazybmxer12
03-31-2005, 03:46 AM
wow sorry i thought i new what was going on, guess not.

FullMonty
03-31-2005, 03:48 AM
basically the fish lobby makes it seem like the seals are to blame for their problems, so when the seal bopping lobby comes in and says "gee whiz, lookit all dems seals! can we bop some?" the gov't thinks "well gawlllllee, we could dun kill two birdies with one of them rock doohickies"

Wayne P
03-31-2005, 04:19 AM
The funny thing about the deplition of the cod stocks on the east coast, is that the same thing is going on right now on the west coast with salmon.

Tom P
03-31-2005, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by Wayne Parsons
The funny thing about the deplition of the cod stocks on the east coast, is that the same thing is going on right now on the west coast with salmon.

I dont think there is a fishery on the planet that isnt facing declining stocks.