PDA

View Full Version : Livestrong bracelets

Jaysin
03-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Where did you folks get 'em?? Ordered online, downtown shops, etc??

Alexey
03-28-2005, 04:36 PM
i ordered mine online.. and sent some in the mail to nsmb'ers :)

NickS
03-28-2005, 05:25 PM
nike stores

ReCkLeSs RiDeR
03-28-2005, 06:38 PM
apparently a little while ago they were completley sold out. I'm not sure if it's true or not

BuckChoklit
03-28-2005, 07:18 PM
www.wearyellow.com

Purecanadianhoney
03-28-2005, 10:47 PM
I appreciate the idea of the livestrong bracelet, but seriously why do they have to be made out of a known carcinogen?

Captain Da
03-28-2005, 10:57 PM
^^ good point.

the reason i didn't and won't buy one is that i don't feel like i need to advertise to everyone the fact that i donate to cancer.

i'd rather just send a check to the bc cancer agency.

Alexey
03-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Purecanadianhoney
I appreciate the idea of the livestrong bracelet, but seriously why do they have to be made out of a known carcinogen? not this again :rolleyes:

GRIZZ
03-28-2005, 11:04 PM
my wrist is too big and it snapped mine:( :(

gooch
03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by GRIZZ
my wrist is too big and it snapped mine:( :(

Oh those are supposed to go on your wrist? I thought because of the whole testicular cancer.......nevermind.

Slingdros
03-28-2005, 11:20 PM
United Cycle has em......atleast here in Edmonton.

GRIZZ
03-28-2005, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by gooch
Oh those are supposed to go on your wrist? I thought because of the whole testicular cancer.......nevermind.

ahahhahahahahahahhaahha you are my hero buddy ! :lol:

Purecanadianhoney
03-28-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Alexey
not this again :rolleyes:

yup, because most people don't have enough brains to actually think what this bit of fashion is really about. Its either an incredibly poorly thought out campaign or their is another interest at play.

Nelson
03-28-2005, 11:50 PM
yup, because most people don't have enough brains to actually think what this bit of fashion is really about. Its either an incredibly poorly thought out campaign or their is another interest at play.

As far as I see it its a pretty clever campaign. Get superstars to wear trendy yellow bracelets, then get the masses wanting the bracelets, and put all the profit towards cancer research. What isn't clever?

Purecanadianhoney
03-29-2005, 12:07 AM
if their looking for the cure, then why are they part of the cause?

Troup
03-29-2005, 12:26 AM
What are Livestrong bracelets?

tuck3r
03-29-2005, 01:32 AM
I appreciate the idea of the livestrong bracelet, but seriously why do they have to be made out of a known carcinogen?

what are they made from? i've never seen one

BuckChoklit
03-29-2005, 02:06 AM
Are you fucking me? I'm sure that people wearing rubber braclets will kill them. I think rubber killed like 90,000,000 people last year. right ahead of AIDS and cancer. Yeah, the whole Livestrong thing is a joke, cancer is aweomse. don't support the reasearch, you're part of the problem...

Biking Fiend
03-29-2005, 02:30 AM
Originally posted by BuckChoklit
Are you fucking me? I'm sure that people wearing rubber braclets will kill them. I think rubber killed like 90,000,000 people last year. right ahead of AIDS and cancer. Yeah, the whole Livestrong thing is a joke, cancer is aweomse. don't support the reasearch, you're part of the problem...

FIGHT THE MAN!

Alexey
03-29-2005, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by Biking Fiend
FIGHT THE MAN! its a chick

gearwh0re
03-29-2005, 03:25 AM
Are you fucking me? I'm sure that people wearing rubber braclets will kill them. I think rubber killed like 90,000,000 people last year. right ahead of AIDS and cancer. Yeah, the whole Livestrong thing is a joke, cancer is aweomse. don't support the reasearch, you're part of the problem... calm down. she thiks they are made of something bad (i have NO clue what they are made of)

you have no idea what she does or what she gives...

BuckChoklit
03-29-2005, 03:29 AM
OKOKOK, I will chill. I just don't understand why someone would make a negative out of somehitng that is so good...

You get cynical when you see people die fomr cancer right in fonrt of you.

Mark_H
03-29-2005, 03:35 AM
the bracelets are made from 100% synthetic silicone XE20-6019 US (the last bit i have no idea if its relevant or anything could be a patent # or it could be irrelivant) i leave the rest of nsmb to google and figure out if its good or bad

BuckChoklit
03-29-2005, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by Mark_H
the bracelets are made from 100% synthetic silicone XE20-6019 US (the last bit i have no idea if its relevant or anything could be a patent # or it could be irrelivant) i leave the rest of nsmb to google and figure out if its good or bad

I was just goign to post the exact same thing...

Now, why is it safe to make fake breasts that going INTO your body, from silicone? But not safe to wear a silicone bracelet on your wrist?

Mark_H
03-29-2005, 05:17 AM
i believe pch is refering not to wearing the bracelet causing cancer but that the manufacture of the bracelets could introduce carcinogens into the environment (or so i think thats what pch is refering to) but if i does or doesnt i have no idea

amg
03-29-2005, 05:27 AM

Dude, be careful there - that's how they castrate goats, y'know.

Adam West
03-29-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by amg
Dude, be careful there - that's how they castrate goats, y'know.
rubber band and two bricks?

amg
03-29-2005, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by New_Breed
rubber band and two bricks?

Just the bands, leave them on for a while, it all shrivels up and falls off.

Purecanadianhoney
03-29-2005, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Mark_H
i believe pch is refering not to wearing the bracelet causing cancer but that the manufacture of the bracelets could introduce carcinogens into the environment (or so i think thats what pch is refering to) but if i does or doesnt i have no idea

yes thank you, that is much closer to what I meant. Silicone is a carcinogen (and yes, even as a set of fake tits).

I'm all for raising money for cancer (and in fact, for my 30th birthday I opted out of any gifts and cards and put out a good cause can at my party and raised over $300 for cancer research). I give because I want to, not to belong to the yellow bracelet club. Great to show your support, great to raise awareness, but not by wearing a piece of fucking silicone probably made in a sweatshop in China that is simply going to be tossed into a landfill once the novelty has warn off.

Seriously, you can throw as much money as you want at this problem but its not going to go away if you keep contributing to the problem and these yellow bracelets are in every way a part of the problem.

DaveM
03-29-2005, 06:10 AM
Geez, an organization manages to come up with a way to get an average of 125,000 people a day (totalling over 40 million so far), to donate money to a good cause. Trendy? Maybe, but if it got donations from people who might not otherwise donate, that's a good thing.

And you have somehow managed to put a negative spin on it. Congratulations, you should be so proud.

JSinclair
03-29-2005, 06:49 AM
for my Mom who beat it.
For my unkle who didn't.
and the friend of the family that is fighting.

If all the boat silicone hasn't got me yet, A little bit more certainly won't hurt.

L I V E S T R O N G

Jaysin
03-29-2005, 07:05 AM
I am with ya Mr Sinclair, just found out my Opa has prostate cancer(found out on his birthday), my grandpa died of Throat and Colon cancer, and there have been numerous other cancer battles in the family.......The least I can do is Donate more, lets get this thing beat

gearwh0re
03-29-2005, 07:07 AM

I'm all for raising money for cancer (and in fact, for my 30th birthday I opted out of any gifts and cards and put out a good cause can at my party and raised over $300 for cancer research).

Originally posted by Davet
you have somehow managed to put a negative spin on it. Congratulations, you should be so proud

i think she should be proud!

you on the other hand....?

gearwh0re
03-29-2005, 07:09 AM

Now, why is it safe to make fake breasts that going INTO your body, from silicone? But not safe to wear a silicone bracelet on your wrist? um, it is NOT safe AT ALL to put silicone into your tits

have you seriously never hear of what happens when these things burst?

DaveM
03-29-2005, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by gearwh0re
i think she should be proud!

you on the other hand....?

I've given quite generously to cancer society, thanks. My dad is a very recent survivor, and my entire family is eternally grateful for the help we've received.

I'm not knocking her donations, just the negative spin on a very successful donation campaign.

As usual gearwhore, you can go fuck yourself.

gearwh0re
03-29-2005, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by davet
I've given quite generously to cancer society, thanks. My dad is a very recent survivor, and my entire family is eternally grateful for the help we've received.

I'm not knocking her donations, just the negative spin on a very successful donation campaign.

As usual gearwhore, you can go fuck yourself. i9 was only poking you with the suggestion that you shouldn't be proud. i didn't mean to get personal about it

it is just weird that PCH is simply bringing up a point that it is dumb that they make them out of silicone and you sarcasticly say she should be proud of herself

AWESOME about your pops BTW!!! glad to here of anyone making it through something like that.

horrible desease

ReCkLeSs RiDeR
03-29-2005, 07:58 AM
yes thank you, that is much closer to what I meant. Silicone is a carcinogen (and yes, even as a set of fake tits).

I'm all for raising money for cancer (and in fact, for my 30th birthday I opted out of any gifts and cards and put out a good cause can at my party and raised over $300 for cancer research). I give because I want to, not to belong to the yellow bracelet club. Great to show your support, great to raise awareness, but not by wearing a piece of fucking silicone probably made in a sweatshop in China that is simply going to be tossed into a landfill once the novelty has warn off.

Seriously, you can throw as much money as you want at this problem but its not going to go away if you keep contributing to the problem and these yellow bracelets are in every way a part of the problem.

since when did supporting cancer become a novelty? Lots of people donate to cancer and some where livestrong bracelets, others don't. It's just a decision, not a trend Imo.

BuckChoklit
03-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by gearwh0re
um, it is NOT safe AT ALL to put silicone into your tits

have you seriously never hear of what happens when these things burst?

On Mythbusters the other day they found it impossible to destroy the things. Not that I even like fake breasts, but they don't seem "un-safe"

xrchris
03-29-2005, 11:03 AM
On Mythbusters the other day they found it impossible to destroy the things. Not that I even like fake breasts, but they don't seem "un-safe"

Manufacturing faults perhaps? Must be te odd dodgy one that gets through occasionally?

Nothing, as they say, is impossible (is that possible to prove i wonder?). :)

They could have made these bracelets from a more friendly organic compound.

pattard
03-29-2005, 12:13 PM
they didnt prove that it is impossible to burst them they proved that they wont burst on a plane or in high pressure

Joe Dick
03-29-2005, 12:29 PM
some people have an other way of looking at things (http://www.newstarget.com/003079.html)

judge for your self of course.

skifreak
03-29-2005, 02:09 PM
what bothers me more is these things are being sold over and over again on ebay for upwards of $5 each with the money going into the pockets of greedy folks rather than going back to the original foundation...

And now there are bands in all colours for all types of diseases...

There has obviously been some progress in the treatment.. one recent report said something like if Terry Fox was diagnosed today he'd have a 100% chance of survival and an 80% chance that his leg wouldn't have been amputated...

On the holistic viewpoint, rather than spending millions of dollars on disease correction, how about putting even some of the money into providing good breakfasts for kids, recreation activities to communities and for people of all ages and putting forward a healthy lifestyle for all people... North america has the most diseases yet we have access to the best medicine?

Tracer Tong
03-29-2005, 04:20 PM
I'm with skifreak.

And if you really want to make a statement go to http://www.savedarfur.org/ and get one of those bracelets.

Lady Gravity
03-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Joe Dick
some people have an other way of looking at things (http://www.newstarget.com/003079.html)

judge for your self of course.

fascinating.
and i totally agree with pch on this one.

and for some related reading, i found the information in this (http://www.newstarget.com/002079.html) article interesting.

Purecanadianhoney
03-29-2005, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by ReCkLeSs RiDeR
since when did supporting cancer become a novelty? Lots of people donate to cancer and some where livestrong bracelets, others don't. It's just a decision, not a trend Imo.

I didn't say cancer donation was a novelty, i said the bracelets were.

My point about the bracelets, is that it is indicative of the same old problem with most charities and that is the fact that being charitable is big corporate business. (i'd be happy to point you in the direction of my masters thesis on this topic)

Throwing money at cancer is still not going to solve the reason we have cancer and what we need to address is the myriad of environmental issues that have caused cancer to reach the pandemic portions we have today. (1 in 3 women, 1 in 2 men get cancer in their lifetimes!)

If you want to find the cure for cancer, than you have to find a cure for your own consumerism.

biopace
03-29-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Lady Gravity
fascinating.
and i totally agree with pch on this one.

and for some related reading, i found the information in this article interesting.

I think the bands are more about getting people thinking and aware of the problem, as well as getting them involved. And keep in mind that some of the money goes into research that looks for the causes of cancer (like finding out that nitrates, uv rays and aspartame cause cancer), which helps us all to then prevent cancer better. But you're probably right that the drug companies are looking for a drug cure to sell to the people, not a way to prevent the disease.

That article about how to give yourself cancer was nicely done. It did totally misuse scientific studies about nitrates and aspartame, but the point remains the same.

Other ways to give your self cancer:

1. Be unhealthy (kind of covers it all, doesn't it)
2. Sit in front of a cathode ray tube.
3. Be outside of your bunker (think of all the wireless communications you can receive right where you are. I can get cell phone, wireless internet, tv, radio, and there are probably a bunch of others that I just can't access. That kind of radiation can't be good for ya.)
4. Be grumpy (I'm sure there's a study proving it.)
5. Live a long time. (Greatly increases your chances.)

[email protected]
03-29-2005, 05:52 PM
The yellow bracelet campaign started about a year ago (maybe a bit more) when Nike got together with Lance's Livestrong charity to do something about cancer awareness. They came up with the bracelet, and Nike donated the first Million of them. The whole thing didn't really take off until the lead up to the Tour, and the race itself. By that time, they couldn't keep them in stock anymore. Of course they had no idea it would become such a huge deal, but really, there was no way they could all of a sudden find a different source of bracelets and charge $2 instead - the mold was cast, so to speak.

Yes, lots of people are wearing them because they're trendy. Lots of other people wear them not only un support of cancer reasearch, but in support of cancer victims they know, or knew. It affects us all in some way or another, and at some point.

What I'm trying to say is, in the big picture, the amount of publicity and awareness the campaign has raised for cancer and cancer research vs. the environmental harm of production and the controversy surrounding drug companies...jesus, there are better fights to pick. This one has a real upside - don't fuckin' wreck it.

Faithless
03-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Hasn't there been a natural cure for cancer for a long time?

Seems like the "cancer" industry is making money off there million dollar procedures where the poison you and they somehow make "progress".

[/tinfoil]

I was told about this when I pilgramed for about 2 weeks. (it's truley a really beautiful place) http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/

GRIZZ
03-29-2005, 06:14 PM
LIVE STRONG!!!!

Tracer Tong
03-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by GRIZZ
LIVE STRONG!!!!

What exactly do you mean by that?

DaveM
03-29-2005, 08:57 PM
Whether they find a cure of not, the money is creating huge advances in treatment. My dad was diagnosed with Lymphoma 3 years ago. I was sitting with him when the doctor gave us the news. Those words were like clubbing me in the head with a 2X4. I can only imagine how it felt to my Dad. I expected the absolute worst, he was 73 years old at the time, but in great health. The doctors at the cancer clinic in Victoria told us that 10 years ago, the prognosis would have been pretty grim, but that cancer treatment had advanced greatly in the last 10 years. Dad underwent monthly treatments for almost 10 months. He lost his hair and about 25 pounds, but he didn't get sick and was healthy enough to play golf throughout the entire time with the exception of the week after his treatment, which he was just quite tired.

You can't tell me that donations to the Cancer society aren't making progress. I'd like to thank everyone that has donated, or has bought a bracelet. Because of you my Dad's still here today, and someone else's loved one will still be here tomorrow.

BuckChoklit
03-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Whether they find a cure of not, the money is creating huge advances in treatment. My dad was diagnosed with Lymphoma 3 years ago. I was sitting with him when the doctor gave us the news. Those words were like clubbing me in the head with a 2X4. I can only imagine how it felt to my Dad. I expected the absolute worst, he was 73 years old at the time, but in great health. The doctors at the cancer clinic in Victoria told us that 10 years ago, the prognosis would have been pretty grim, but that cancer treatment had advanced greatly in the last 10 years. Dad underwent monthly treatments for almost 10 months. He lost his hair and about 25 pounds, but he didn't get sick and was healthy enough to play golf throughout the entire time with the exception of the week after his treatment, which he was just quite tired.

You can't tell me that donations to the Cancer society aren't making progress. I'd like to thank everyone that has donated, or has bought a bracelet. Because of you my Dad's still here today, and someone else's loved one will still be here tomorrow.

Thank you man! I wish your dad all the best, my father died in '99.

As for the ones who posted this shit about how easy it is to prevent cancer, give me a break. My father was healthy as it gets and that fucking disease got him. And Trinity, you're gonan tell me she was some unheathly kid and her Lukemia was preventable, shame on you.

PCH, I'd be more than glad to read your paper.

Faithless
03-29-2005, 11:38 PM
My mother died 2 days before greek independance day (it's the only way ill remember it) March 23rd 7:03 pm 23 seconds 1999

NooNer
03-29-2005, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by MajinHurricane
Hasn't there been a natural cure for cancer for a long time?

Seems like the "cancer" industry is making money off there million dollar procedures where the poison you and they somehow make "progress".

[/tinfoil]

I was told about this when I pilgramed for about 2 weeks. (it's truley a really beautiful place) http://www.stanthonysmonastery.org/

1. you are absolutely retarded.
2. have you heard of a cohearent sentence.
3. nice monastery

.243racer
03-30-2005, 12:16 AM
hey NooNer, take a look at the post majin made RIGHT ABOVE YOURS.

now, take a look at your post.

now, ask youself, was that neccisary?

gearwh0re
03-30-2005, 12:36 AM
you're gonan tell me she was some unheathly kid and her Lukemia was preventable, shame on you.

there is the shame thing again. cancer is very complex.

a HUGE number of people could avoid getting cander through decisions they make.

next you are going to quote cases of people being killed in car crashes and conclude that people shouldn't wear seatbelts

sometimes cancer can be avoided, sometimes it hits people cfor no reason - but you do a HUGE disservice to the fight of the desease to act like prevention is not a viable option

Wayne P
03-30-2005, 12:38 AM
It seems that some people either have way too much time on their hands, are extremely unhappy with their lives, are way too over-sensitive, or just like to stir shit up. Maybe all four. Life's not that complicated - go for a walk.

Re-read this quote by Pete: He's right on the money.

"What I'm trying to say is, in the big picture, the amount of publicity and awareness the campaign has raised for cancer and cancer research vs. the environmental harm of production and the controversy surrounding drug companies...jesus, there are better fights to pick. This one has a real upside - don't fuckin' wreck it."

NooNer
03-30-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by .243racer
hey NooNer, take a look at the post majin made RIGHT ABOVE YOURS.

now, take a look at your post.

now, ask youself, was that neccisary?

ok asking about a natural cure for cancer thats been around for a long time ... c'mon, think real long and hard about that. if there were a natural cure why would there be so much money and funding pumped into cancer research?

as for his second statement ... read it. make sense? didnt think so.

i complimented his monastery.

necessary? hes retarded. think, then type. its really simple. or maybe even if you dont want to think, type it out the read over it. holy hell ... so tough.

regarding his moms passing. i never mentioned it. does it suck? yes. have i lost family to cancer? yes. ive also watched my brother overcome cancer and be cancer free for about 4 years now.

anything else?

gearwh0re
03-30-2005, 12:50 AM
wow, now PCH is unhappy with her life because she thinks that using silacone, a know carcinagen, in bands to raise cancer awareness is not a smart move. or is she just stirring shit up?

i change my point of view - lets not question it, lets not talk about prevention, lets ask about how money is being spent or dare look into aspects of the drug industry - that way we are sure to get a cure!

cmon guys, your bushian "with us or against us" attitude is not going to help at all. every person on this BB would obviously like nothing more than a cure to this horrible desease

sometimes people see things differently, and things get changed when those people talk. we need SOMETHING to change to end this tradedy

BTW, not that i should have to even say this kinda shot to have an opinion, but i lost 3 granparents to cancer, my wife's brother died of lukemia as a little boy - this is not something i take lightly

gooch
03-30-2005, 12:57 AM
I think charging $1 for these things is a little low imo.

I also think that the have combined marketing with fundraising, thinking outside the box and have done a good job by taking a different approach to this

I think there is way more money in treating cancer than in preventing it

I think people reselling these bracelets for profit will burn in hell, I can't wait for karma to catch up with them

I think in light of the personal attachment some people may have to this thread it could be kept on topic a bit better

kona_rider10
03-30-2005, 01:52 AM
I heard your able to get pink ones. Anyone know if this is true and where I could get one from.

Faithless
03-30-2005, 05:57 AM
Nooner

http://www.drday.com/

NooNer
03-30-2005, 06:27 AM
alternative therapy ... not a cure, but i see your point. my bro went through a chinese herbalist, had to drink some fuct up teas. definatly not the western medicine way of doing things.

Fast Orange
03-30-2005, 08:57 AM
I think all PCH was saying is that they should have made the bracelets out of a different material that is biodegradable, everybody took that statement as a knock towards cancer fundraising for some reason.

The great thing about the Livestrong campaign is anyone who would ever criticize the smallest aspect of it will get ganged up on and denounced as a non-caring person and what happened on the forum is a good example of normally smart people acting and saying unreasonable things.

The truth is I think everyone spends some time lying awake at night scared of cancer. Scared that it's gonna get us or someone we love and beneath that I think we all feel a sense of guilt for living the way we do.

There is stuff that can give us cancer everywhere, pesticides on food, pollution, too much coffee. smoking, junk food, soda, kellogs cereal, microwaves, tv dinners, ice cream, non-organic produce...

our society is saturated with toxins and the result is 60% of all people will get cancer.

60% !!!!!!!

The only way we are gonna get rid of cancer is not by simply pouring money into medical research, we have to collectively change the way we all live and eat and interact with the earth.
The way we are currently going is the complete opposite direction of that, cancer research has made leaps and bounds but the numbers of cases just gets bigger and bigger every year because every year our planet becomes that much more toxic.

If you want to make a real difference don't stop giving to cancer research but do stop consuming and supporting the things that cause it.

Having said that I really need to quit smoking. :)

[email protected]
03-30-2005, 02:32 PM
Obviously this is a topic that no one can take a 'neutral' stand on, but a few people mentioned we're in this together, and that is so true.

Should we all be doing what we can to fight cancer? Yes, be that donating, volunteering, helping out loved ones fighting it, whatever.

Should we all do what we can to prevent ourselves and others from contracting cancer? Of course.

Do the drug companies make huge profits, and is some of the money that goes into research used less effectively than it could be? Sure.

Would we be better off without drug companies and cancer research? Hell no.

Did anyone say we would be? I don't think so.

I am very much a "glass half full" person, so instead of finding faults in the Livestrong campaign, I see all the positives. And where cancer is concerned, as you all know, sometimes even a little bit of positive is the difference between slight hope and utter futility. My mental compass usually points to due hope, and I scratched the "futility" mark right off of it. The hope army is recruiting. Let's go fight futility. Together.

[email protected]
04-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Something new from NIKE:

Lance Armstrong's new clothes

Nike Cycling - clothing sponsor of Lance Armstrong and the Discovery Channel team - has announced a new line of clothing that acknowledges a date Armstrong has always said was the turning point in his life: October 2, 1996.

That was the day Armstrong discovered that he wasn't just a bit under the weather, but in fact had testicular cancer that had metastasised through his body, and even with extensive treatment his chances of surviving were slim.

Armstrong did survive, and now puts a large amount of his time into the Lance Armstrong Foundation, which aims to help cancer research and cancer survivors. Nike Cycling's new 10//2 clothing range is named for that day in 1996, and a dollar from the price of each garment sold will go to the Lance Armstrong Foundation.

The range comprises: 10//2 Performance Jerseys in Short-sleeve, long-sleeve and sleeveless; 10//2 Performance Short; 10//2 Windfront Vest; and items such as cap, gloves, messenger bag, fleece hoodies, tees and a polo shirt.

_________

Say what you will about Nike - they've been a big time offender of human rights in the past (ditto with most shoe/clothing companies) but they've also been trying to clean up their act. This is a bit different, but they've taken their commitment to supporting the Livestrong foundation a step further, and despite the fact that they no doubt see a way to sell more clothes, it's still good to see them doing more of this kind of stuff.

pattard
04-05-2005, 03:43 PM
I heard your able to get pink ones. Anyone know if this is true and where I could get one from.

there are many differnet colours but they all ahve to do with different things: bullying, breast cancer, racism, tolerance....

Grimace
04-05-2005, 07:26 PM
I jsut dont know why we humans fear death so much

blunt boy
04-05-2005, 08:16 PM
I wear a bracelet and will continue to do so but I'm disappointed with the choice of materials. While the marketing, awareness and $ raised are all positive effects of the Livestrong campaign, using a known carcinagen seems very self defeating to me. I am glad that PCH has brought his to my attention as I feel is it better to be informed rather than ignorant. It does not dishonor the loss of my mother in any way just because PCH pointed out something that makes no sense in the fight against cancer. Cancer is a symptom of how we treat the earth and ourselves; pouring in junk into our ecosystems and bodies. We know so little about the causes but some are easily identified. A little girl like Trinity dying makes no sense, but Bob Marley dying of lung cancer is somewhat obvious.

Making a bracelet to highten Cancer awareness out of a known carcinagen is like skidding down CBC in the rain to a trail maintenace day.

Grimace
04-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by blunt boy
but Bob Marley dying of lung cancer is somewhat obvious.

he died of brain cancer

blunt boy
04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
OK. DIED of brain cancer but..
"There doctors verified that the singer had cancer in the brain, lung, and stomach." http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031013.html

You get my point though don't you?

gooch
04-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Grimace
he died of brain cancer

Bob had cancer in about 90% of his body when he found out he had it.

gooch
04-05-2005, 08:32 PM
"There doctors verified that the singer had cancer in the brain, lung, and stomach." http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20031013.html

No, what's your point?

blunt boy
04-05-2005, 08:36 PM
I'll let you think about that one;) .

gooch
04-05-2005, 08:46 PM
I'll let you think about that one;) .

Smoking pot causes cancer?

blunt boy
04-05-2005, 08:54 PM
It may be one reason. Who really knows?

Here.

http://bb.nsmb.com/newforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56975

Grimace
04-05-2005, 08:57 PM

cool man thanks for the link

DaveM
04-05-2005, 09:19 PM
Reading another thread popped a question to my head. Since just about everything seems to cause cancer these days, what could they have made the bracelets out of that would be as durable, comfortable, hygenic, economical and can't be linked in any way to cancer?

the flying moose
04-05-2005, 09:31 PM
Reading another thread popped a question to my head. Since just about everything seems to cause cancer these days, what could they have made the bracelets out of that would be as durable, comfortable, hygenic, economical and can't be linked in any way to cancer?

hemp??

blunt boy
04-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by the flying moose
hemp??

That was my first though as well. Recycled car and bike tires? I'm not sure about the side effect from the recycling process.

[email protected]
04-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Smoking pot causes cancer?

No - obviously the correlation is that singing reggae causes cancer.

Grimace
04-05-2005, 09:42 PM
That was my first though as well. Recycled car and bike tires? I'm not sure about the side effect from the recycling process.

that might be worse

blunt boy
04-05-2005, 09:46 PM
Could be. Depends on the process.

[email protected]
04-05-2005, 09:48 PM
I wear a bracelet and will continue to do so but I'm disappointed with the choice of materials. While the marketing, awareness and $ raised are all positive effects of the Livestrong campaign, using a known carcinagen seems very self defeating to me. I am glad that PCH has brought his to my attention as I feel is it better to be informed rather than ignorant. It does not dishonor the loss of my mother in any way just because PCH pointed out something that makes no sense in the fight against cancer. Cancer is a symptom of how we treat the earth and ourselves; pouring in junk into our ecosystems and bodies. We know so little about the causes but some are easily identified. A little girl like Trinity dying makes no sense, but Bob Marley dying of lung cancer is somewhat obvious.

Making a bracelet to highten Cancer awareness out of a known carcinagen is like skidding down CBC in the rain to a trail maintenace day.

You make good points and I certainly agree. I think most people just thought it was a case of trying too hard to find fault with something, even though, to be fair, it is an unfortunate problem that does make the bracelet's creators look a bit short-sighted.

Hemp bracelets are a half-decent suggestion, but there are a few questions that I don't think the use of hemp would answer:

1 - could you make a million hemp bracelets, overseas or not, and deliver them to LA or NY for roughly 6 cents each? Remember, the bracelets are only $1 US each, and while I don't know the number, I think you can assume that around 80 cents of that goes to the charity, and the rest to production, shipping, packaging, and promotional costs.

2 - do you really think anyone would have noticed a hemp bracelet on Lance's wrist (and that of most of the peloton in the Tour)? Because I don't, and one of the big strengths of the bracelets is that they market themselves. They stand out. hemp is the opposite which, ironically, gives it more lasting power as a textile for garments, but which simultaneously makes it a bad candidate for use in a viral marketing campaign.

Grimace
04-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Could be. Depends on the process.

its petrolem based, its gotta be bad for somthing

Jaysin
04-05-2005, 10:01 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/jasonrichter/DSC00509.jpg

Thanks Cucumber Jones!!!

blunt boy
04-05-2005, 10:06 PM
Pete. I agree with your points and I am impressed with the amount of awareness and $ the campaign has produced. I'm just disappointed with the material. The visability of the yellow is very ket to the success of the product but I question wheather or not it could have been manufactured differently. I don't have all the answers but if I was a paid marketing exec. I may have had the time and the resources to figure out a viable alternative. The yellow silicon may have been the easiest/most durable/cheapest but another answer may have been found with more effort.