PDA

View Full Version : Stem pads...work? no work?

Need2Ride
09-17-2004, 08:46 PM
Hi! Just a curious question, I was wondering if any of you guys use a stem pad to protect the bike from your crotch or the other way around depending on which one you appreaciate more. I have had various encounters where I have hit the stem after a landing, so does it help to have one? or is it just for decoration so your stem doesn't get scratched? Maybe I should just wear a cup :) Thanks!

switch
09-17-2004, 08:57 PM
You hit your crotch on the stem? :eek: :S

dirty deeds
09-17-2004, 09:08 PM
I once sliced the inside of my knee open pretty good on the stem, so I use one.

As for the boys, it would be cool if someone could figure a way to protect them while riding. Nothing is worse than slamming them in the back of the seat. I don't know if a cup would work or whether it would cause more problems.

three sheets
09-17-2004, 09:09 PM
They do a fantastic job of keeping crushed scroat juice and blood off of your stem,thats for sure!

Need2Ride
09-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Yes I hit my crotch on the stem twice this summer :mad: . One I landed front heavy and the bike stopped but my body kept moving forward so you can picture what happened next :(. The other and most recent one was hitting a tree head on at a decent speed and similarly, bike stopped but body didn't. I can say its most likely due to inexperience in both cases :P , but still extra padding doesn't hurt "as much" (I think)

Need2Ride
09-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Maybe I have to work on the bailing techniques ;)

switch
09-17-2004, 09:16 PM
:lol:

I was kidding around. :D

I've not hit my face on the stem yet, but I've seen vids of people doing that. I have bashed my knee, and almost sacked myself. So I use a stem pad on my FS bike.

I'd like a pad for the top of my stanchions as I've banged my knees into them a few times.

pedalhound
09-17-2004, 09:22 PM
I have done some damage to the crotch area and will not ride w/out my trusty roach pad now. It's gotta be better than bare metal.

Team2K
09-17-2004, 10:20 PM
can't fit one on an integrated stem im' guessin' , so testie juice it is :P

I worry about a cup, squishin' ur sack between the cup and ur leg owch

pedalhound
09-17-2004, 10:43 PM
I have one on my integrated stem, its the Roach, the straps barely reach...but it works.

TheGiggler
09-17-2004, 10:43 PM
realistically, the dense foam in most stem pads is so thin, that they really can't do much.

i only run one for when i run xc... to protect against knee hits to them stem which always suck. but not like it does much, you still have the whole handlebars to hit with your knees.

as for the boys, it's got to help some.. but if you land hard enough on the stem, there ain't no way the stem pad is going to save you from major trauma... the little bit of foam won't absord much energy nor disperse it.

trail worker
09-18-2004, 03:18 AM
bah that thin foam won't do shit to save your balls.
i'd use one if my drivetrain was constantly skipping and i bashed my knees all the time,though.

ReCkLeSs RiDeR
09-18-2004, 03:23 AM
I had one on my old bike and I just put another piece of foam under it and it worked well but I sold it with my bike...

FuManChu
09-18-2004, 04:14 AM
at least the very least it is gonna save your nads from being cut open. reduces the sharp edge factor

skimtb1
09-18-2004, 05:17 AM
i knew a kid and he had to get stiches on his balls. i bought one soon afterwards. the stem pads are really nice on your knees and they protect you from cuttage

.Robinson
09-18-2004, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by Need2Ride
Yes I hit my crotch on the stem twice this summer :mad: . One I landed front heavy and the bike stopped but my body kept moving forward so you can picture what happened next :(. The other and most recent one was hitting a tree head on at a decent speed and similarly, bike stopped but body didn't. I can say its most likely due to inexperience in both cases :P , but still extra padding doesn't hurt "as much" (I think)

u sound like u should be wearing a cup 24-7!!!!!!!

Straw
09-18-2004, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by trail worker
bah that thin foam won't do shit to save your balls.
i'd use one if my drivetrain was constantly skipping and i bashed my knees all the time,though.

If that happens, then I'd say that you should fix buy a new drivetrain rather than a stem pad!

Anyway, I ride a small hardtail, and my knees are constantly hitting the stem, so I use one and will never take it off. It's all about the knees for me though...my frame is small enough that I don't sac it.

.Robinson
09-18-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by StrawDog
If that happens, then I'd say that you should fix buy a new drivetrain rather than a stem pad!

Anyway, I ride a small hardtail, and my knees are constantly hitting the stem, so I use one and will never take it off. It's all about the knees for me though...my frame is small enough that I don't sac it.

its all about the knees??? where armor!

Straw
09-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by *The RiPPer*
its all about the knees??? where armor!

I do. But I hit it all the time anyway. Also, when I ride around without armoUr on, it's nice to know that I won't be causing myself pain.

EZ.E
09-18-2004, 06:09 PM
Quality ball and knee clearance comes down to the stem's design, so look for stems that offer excellent clearance as knee interference can not only be painful...it can mean a serious wreck!
Rounded edges that do not have pounds of material on the end are key!

deity STEM.... (http://www.deitycomponents.com/stem.htm)

Tonestar
09-22-2004, 09:21 PM
Check out the Hoots Nad Pad, it has actual padding in it and uses completely removeable velcro straps so it adapts around and stem. Lots of other stem pads are just material covers that offer no padding.

patrolskid
09-22-2004, 09:33 PM
me and my boys won't ride without one , so i made a custom leather stem and top tube pad . the lifties really seem to like it ; they are always fondling the leather . . . .

Putty
09-22-2004, 09:45 PM
just duct tape them to your gunt.