PDA

View Full Version : not a big walmart fan but...

gearwh0re
08-05-2004, 05:51 PM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1845&ncid=1845&e=2&u=/cpress/20040803/ca_pr_on_na/wal_mart_union

say goodbye to the low prices, the employees smiling in the commercials and much much more. It is really too bad... walmart employees are treated very well.

i betcha walmart is regreting opening in canada, unions spread like the plague

migueltorres
08-05-2004, 05:57 PM
ah yes, the plague of unions LOL - still smartin' from the "garbage man" incident :)

just kidding - i like walmart for cheap crap - but for real deals go to b-ham, USA...whoa...el cheapo stuff there...

http://www.tartans.com/articles/g/plagueskel-lg.jpg

Newt
08-05-2004, 05:59 PM
I just hope they don't unionize the best-buys when they get here....

migueltorres
08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
doubt it - besides aren't they in langley already?

Newt
08-05-2004, 06:03 PM
one, i think. They need one one the shore.

migueltorres
08-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Weird about best buy; since they also own futureshop - they will be possibly competing with themselves.

Newt
08-05-2004, 06:10 PM
but futreshop blows, so, they will convert them to best-buys I hope.

eddiebrannan
08-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by gearwh0re
walmart employees are treated very well.

you're kidding right? walmart have an absolutely awful reputation with regard to employee relations (enforced unpaid oertime, staff lock-ins, hiring illegals who of course can't insist on their rights etc etc). sorry if you were being ironic, and i really hope you were.

Patrick Bateman
08-05-2004, 06:39 PM
Best Buy sucks. It's exactly the same as Future Shop pretty much, almost no prices are better and the selection is pretty much the same.

Taylor_P
08-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by eddiebrannan
you're kidding right? walmart have an absolutely awful reputation with regard to employee relations (enforced unpaid oertime, staff lock-ins, hiring illegals who of course can't insist on their rights etc etc). sorry if you were being ironic, and i really hope you were.

finally some sense out of this post.

sAFETY
08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Future Shop and Best Buy will be indirectly competing in Canada. Best buy for cheaper electronics, Futureshop for the more upscale stuff. Both of them will likely retain their same low levels of customer service and product knowledge.

As far as Walmart goes, they're a great employer...... If you're a white male.

pedalhound
08-05-2004, 06:44 PM
I heard a few years ago that best buy was taking over future shop and changing all the stores to best buys...hmmm.

And as for Wall Mart..that sucks. Their wages wont change that much and now they have to pay union dues....great....the only people making money off of this one is the union.

EndoKing
08-05-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by mudpuppy
And as for Wall Mart..that sucks. Their wages wont change that much and now they have to pay union dues....great....the only people making money off of this one is the union.

It's not always just about money. Unionized employees have a lot more bargaining power for things like med & dental benefits, which WalMart does not currently offer any of its employees.

I say good for the Frenchies!

pedalhound
08-05-2004, 07:55 PM
It's a retail job.....you know what you are getting into when you start the job. Wan't to be treated better, get an education and get a better job. All those extras just don't come outa nowhere, it will just make stuff more expensive than all the benifits that they get will be offset by a higher cost of goods.

eddiebrannan
08-05-2004, 08:03 PM
mudpuppy i have always thought you were a smarter person than that. i'm not trying to insult or flame you, but you know that in any society there are people for whom advanced education is a privilege, and out of reach. but should those people be denied the right to healthcare? the right to good health is one of the most basic civil rights.

i'm aware that a lot of the folks on this board are young, and in many cases from quite sheltered backgrounds, and assume that the sort of things life will offer them are on offer to everyone, but a. i know you're not a kid and b. i know you know better than that.

Del
08-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by sAFETY

As far as Walmart goes, they're a great employer...... If you're a white male.

ooh! ooh! thats me!

pedalhound
08-05-2004, 08:16 PM
far from sheltered and not too young anymore. :) I struggle everyday just to squeak by an existence for me and my family.

I have been in many a union and do not see the positives of being a member. Working in LOTS of retail, some union some not and to tell the truth....no difference. The best benefits and pay I have ever received were from non union shops. For most in the retail world unions are a not all they are cracked up to be, I can't say much about other trades, but retail sucks no matter what is put into place, that will not change.

dax420
08-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Union = protection for bad workers + lack of advancement for good ones.

Nothing like not being able to get promoted even though you are the hardest worker because some MORON who does jack shit has seinority.

yellowdogx
08-05-2004, 10:06 PM
Having worked in a few unions I see lazy people sitting doing nothing for their money!!!

HOWEVER the union is typically only as strong as the company makes it. That is, the strength of the union is inversly proportional to how the employees are treated.

Air Canada is a case in point, strong union, shitty employer!!

Are unions also not the people that brought you the weekend and other rights and benifits that were not around before the unions came to be?

And as far a prices going up, why dont they just lower their profit margin a bit? Shouldn't everyone make enough $$ to live on? Not everyone has the option of going to school and getting a education!

Faithless
08-05-2004, 10:36 PM
the great candian superstore

they seem to be unionized, and have no what so ever problem with there employees.

my bro is making 23 dollars an hour doing produce, has stock options medical and dental, for working there for 10 years.

and i dont see loblaw complaining or there stock going down.

the flying moose
08-05-2004, 10:37 PM
best buy has people dumber than a sack of hammer running the show.

i had and interview there and the punk kid that was doing all the hiring was 6 years younger than me. some fresh out of highschool punk is a manager at a newly opened electronics store. if he is in charge id hate to see everyone else. he had no idea how to conduct and interview and i basically got up and left when he left the office.

yellowdogx
08-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by the flying moose
best buy has people dumber than a sack of hammer running the show.

i had and interview there and the punk kid that was doing all the hiring was 6 years younger than me. some fresh out of highschool punk is a manager at a newly opened electronics store. if he is in charge id hate to see everyone else. he had no idea how to conduct and interview and i basically got up and left when he left the office.

Are they even more dumberer than Future Shlop? If so how do they find their way to work in the morning? Ohh thats right mom probably drives them!:P

gearwh0re
08-05-2004, 11:02 PM
ok ok ok.

lets clear a few things up. eddie - typo'd i was going to go in about how although walmart doesn't have the best relationship with their employees etc etc.

my bad

oh and best buy bought future shop. Future shop was to become best buy, but their little studies showed that they would do better as 2 different brands

gearwh0re
08-05-2004, 11:07 PM
basicly my OP makes no sense at all. sorry

yellowdogx
08-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by gearwh0re
basicly my OP makes no sense at all. sorry

Put a little oil on that backpedal there gearwhOre.;)

redrider
08-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Loblaws has good employee relations now, but when Wal-mart takes its roots in our communities, you can bet Loblaws will stoop to the same low levels as Wal-mart to remain competitive..

I don't know much about unions, but it seems to me that if the gov't looked after employees better, and enforced the employment standards act, we wouldn't be so inclined to unionize..ppl get jerked around and ripped off and when they've had enuf they unionize right?

Faithless
08-05-2004, 11:29 PM
well i put up the employees standers act at my work, and i don't think they were too happy about it.

but i threatened to call the bbb if they took it down.

eddiebrannan
08-05-2004, 11:30 PM
nice one gw. respect :)

Craz
08-05-2004, 11:49 PM
Theres nothing better than BEING the competition.

yellowdogx
08-05-2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Lunatik
Theres nothing better than BEING the competition.

So true. Best Buy / Future shop are going to be the Air Canada of electronics!;)

gearwh0re
08-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by yellowdogx
Put a little oil on that backpedal there gearwhOre.;)

not backpedalling at all. backpedalling is going back trying to justify or make right using through creative means.

i meant to type a bunch more stuff, got busy and left it as is, and it doesn't make much sense.

walmart has a history of unsavory employee relations, not even the CEO would be bold enough to say that the employees are treated really wellhahahah

anyways. my point was supposed to be that walmart sucks, but if they all unionize say goodbye to your dirtcheap shopping...unions cost companies alot of $$$

pedalhound
08-06-2004, 03:06 AM
And to think that the company should just eat the extra costs....is just silly. I don't know what world you live in but the world I live in...those companies are there to make money..not lose it. While I beleive in some instances that Unions have a place, but not all unions are good and have the members best interests at heart. Just like any company unions can be good and they can be bad. There is no totaly right or wrong answer here, my luck with unions has been sheit...I have friends that love theirs. So in the end I hope it really does help the employees.

three sheets
08-06-2004, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by MajinHurricane
the great candian superstore

they seem to be unionized, and have no what so ever problem with there employees.

my bro is making 23 dollars an hour doing produce, has stock options medical and dental, for working there for 10 years.

and i dont see loblaw complaining or there stock going down.

Send your complaints about high grocery prices to this kids brother.

23/hour for watering GM lettuce and picking rotten tomatoes out of the pile....un freakin beliveable!!!

No wonder Im going broke trying to survive in this town on my "skilled trades person" wages.I should be doing menial labour,thats where the money is.I wonder about job satisfaction...

yellowdogx
08-06-2004, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by mudpuppy
And to think that the company should just eat the extra costs....is just silly. I don't know what world you live in but the world I live in...those companies are there to make money..not lose it. While I beleive in some instances that Unions have a place, but not all unions are good and have the members best interests at heart. Just like any company unions can be good and they can be bad. There is no totaly right or wrong answer here, my luck with unions has been sheit...I have friends that love theirs. So in the end I hope it really does help the employees.

I am not aying they should be making fat coin but minimum wage doesnt go very far.

Just for the record I have been royaly f'd over by both the CAW and the IAMAW.

But Air Canada would have screwed me over even farther if they could have.....

Faithless
08-06-2004, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by derwood
Send your complaints about high grocery prices to this kids brother.

23/hour for watering GM lettuce and picking rotten tomatoes out of the pile....un freakin beliveable!!!

No wonder Im going broke trying to survive in this town on my "skilled trades person" wages.I should be doing menial labour,thats where the money is.I wonder about job satisfaction...

your talking about superstore?

god this makes me laugh

my brother is the cause of prices rising.

loblaw a trillion dollar corperation, that is making thousands, by the minute,

special-ed
08-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey, I work at the Langley walmart
they just sent all the employees an anti-union pamphlet
I'll scan it tomorrow after work for your enjoyment.

They treat me well at work, and for having half a brain, I get parise.
yes, I'm a white male, but this store seems to treat everyone equally.... meh.

later,
Braden

Edit,
Someone I know works a best buy too
I can give you all any inside info you need...

the flying moose
08-06-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by MajinHurricane
your talking about superstore?
god this makes me laugh
my brother is the cause of prices rising.

not directly but yes your brother and all other there who are union are driving prices up because wages are so high.

you work at mcdicks correct?? how much do you think a bigmac combo would be if mcdicks was unionized and they forced mcdicks to pay you $15/hr?

yellowdogx
08-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by the flying moose
not directly but yes your brother and all other there who are union are driving prices up because wages are so high.

you work at mcdicks correct?? how much do you think a bigmac combo would be if mcdicks was unionized and they forced mcdicks to pay you $15/hr?

Once again, how much profit did evil mcdicks, wal mart, (insert large multi national death corporation in this space) make last year? At least they can reward/motivate long time employees with a decent wage. You complain about going broke in this city...what if you were making what a wal mart greater does? And don't give me some "...they have no education..." line, some people don't have the option of going to school.

brock
08-06-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by sAFETY
Both of them will likely retain their same low levels of customer service and product knowledge.

AHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oysterboyz
08-06-2004, 08:19 PM
I'm scared of giant retail chain stores. They make me feel like I'm going to be forced to have to just buy from them only like there's no diversity. It scares me, but people like one stop shopping and such.

I'm scared, like having a starbucks compete with a starbucks...whatever happened to competing against another company? Jeez, think about how much it would suck to ride trails with only one species of tree in the forest, a species of tree that would wipe out all other plants and animals because that one kind of tree will only hold a certain kind of animal. The world would die without biodiversity, I feel the same way about our culture if we're all buying walmart.

And that's why I don't care much for unions either...

dax420
08-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Are these trees you speak of softer than the trees we have now? If so, I'm all for it!

Trees hurt.

Zaskar
08-07-2004, 01:56 AM
i think the union is a good thing. walmart needs to be held accountable for the way they've treated their employees and the current system of government checks and the employees right to complain to the labour standards obviously hasnt worked if the employees still want to improve things. the union will cost more to the consumer but increase the standard of living for thousands of workers if it becomes widespread.

im on the fence about unions. i think they're good when they arent abused. but it seems alot of the time they turn in to the equivalent of corporatoions, they can strong arm governments in to decisions they don't wanna make to put more money in to their own pockets. they also make for workers who misunderstand job security for an excuse for an excuse not to put in 100% effort by passing it off on some other guy with the excuse that its "not their job".

gearwh0re, you'll be happy to know the bush administration is anti-union as well.

gearwh0re
08-09-2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Zaskar

gearwh0re, you'll be happy to know the bush administration is anti-union as well.

i remember when i was dumb enough to think there was a right way and a wrong way, and no middle ground. :lol:

thanks for reminding me

blinded
08-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by eddiebrannan
staff lock-ins

i said it before, i'll say it again, i would love to get locked in a walmart if i worked there. i would make sure my feces covered every article of clothing and i'd make a mountain of candy wrappers by the entrance and just generally throw my poo around.