View Full Version : Broken ankle

07-25-2004, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, i'm currently sitting in my Aunt's basement waiting for my ride home from Lethbridge after coming down here yesterday to ride. I tried a wall ride and didn't connect properly, sliding down it and then rolling my ankle. I broke my tibia and ankle, chipped some bone, dislocated my ankle, and stretched/tore some ligaments. All in all great fun. I had surgery last night and managed to get out of hte hospital less then 24 hours after having broken it. I've been on quite the range of drugs over the last little bit to keep the pain and swelling down and it's definatly starting to feel a good amount better.

Now for my questions. What are some good ways to go about speeding up this healing process. I'm looking at 6-8 weeks right now is what the doctor said, but I'd really like to be able to go to Whistler in later September/early October so I want this healed and done with ASAP. So what would work well for that? Any herbal things or anything of that sort?

I guess that's all I have for now. Please send all healing vibes, I just want to ride my bike again (which suffered zero damage in the fall, w00t for .243's (Eric your review should be done tommorow, sorry bout that wait.))

I imaigne i'll be hanging around these parts a lot more now, so I'm sure there will be more friendships to be made now.

p.s. Anyone know when Whistler is open until?

Late Bloomer
07-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Harsh. Since I've only broken a toe to this point in life (knock on wood), I can't really offer up much advice 'cept to hit your ankle or tibia against anything. A positive mindset is always a good thing to have, too.
www.whistler-blackcomb.com ;)

07-25-2004, 09:24 PM
ouch thats gotta suck man!
healing vibes to you.
i believe whistler is open until it snows again.
ps. tea tree oil.

Trail Rider 1.0
07-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Healing vibes sent your way~~~~~~

Thats crappy to hear, as for fast healing, the only thing I can suggest is to not take any chances with it. Baby yourself as much as you can, you don't want to do something that will aggrevate the injury. Get better soon:)

07-25-2004, 09:33 PM
oh believe me it sucks. bigtime. and I will full out be babying' this. If it's nto ready for whistler, then I won't go, although i would like to a lot, if it's not ready then it's just not gonna happen.

and what am i supposed to do with tea tree oil with a cast on?

07-25-2004, 09:36 PM
Tea tree oil is a suggesttion for everything haha

07-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Holy shit dude.. that sucks.

Just take it easy dude.. You dont want to make in any worse.

Brad Dawg
07-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Kyle Scully and Geoff Gullevich broke their ankles this weekend as well. Gully also broke his wrist...

07-25-2004, 10:02 PM
make sure you go to a physio therapist after its healed, they really help with strengthing and stuff. Ice it to reduce swelling and try the traumeel cream

07-25-2004, 10:37 PM
MiKeY, I would Highly recommend you look into ART. Active Release Techniques. Imagine a combination of physio and deep tissue massage. Its fairly painful at first but as you continue becomes less painful while lengthening and rebuilding the torn and strained muscle.

07-25-2004, 11:50 PM
left or right ankle ?

07-25-2004, 11:53 PM
big time... shitty...

07-26-2004, 04:06 AM
awww, get better. My friend broke his foot first day of summer. Riding trials.

07-26-2004, 07:13 AM
Keep your cast on. Go to physio. You'll be fine.

Sucks, though. I wouldn't worry about Whistler. It'll be there next year.

Heal up & go big.

07-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Healing vibes for ya Mikey:) Sorry to hear.

In the end, it really comes down to the exact nature of the break and stuff. Take broken wrists for example...you always here about some who continue riding their way along the trail while others are rendered 100% immobile in that arm.
Healing is healing, it just takes time. But after the Doc has removed the cast/splint, whatever...you're good to go at a pace that you have a little more control over. Get a good physio and push it to the max, with their supervision:)

Reefer Ryder
07-26-2004, 08:35 AM
i broke my lower tib about 7 weeks back

JUst take er easy try to walk on it as little as possible and keep the cast on.

If its anything to you i walked on mine from the start and cut the cast off a few weeks early but i didnt dislocate anything or mess ligaments. Just the fracture...

Good luck and get an xbox with amped 2 and thug

07-26-2004, 05:33 PM
Wow dude, really sorry to hear about your accident. I bet this gets in the way of you driving your spiffy new car too eh?

Sounds like you really did a number on it. Heal up.

07-26-2004, 07:30 PM
Once the cast is off I'm gonna be borrowing a friends XC/road bike and I'll shred the pathways on that for a few weeks getting back into shape and all that before I even get back on my bike. I don't wanna be fucking this up anymore then it already is. But only at the doctors discretion of course.

and yes, for now it does kinda screw up my driving of my new car. but luckily it is my left foot, and the car is automatic, so once I'm feeling a little better I should be able to drive it around still. Especially cause it's got tons of space in the driving area on the left hand side for my foot to fit. So really I should be good. I'm going on Vacation tommorow morning though out east to be with my girlfriend and her family for a week though so that should give me some good time to just relax and start the healing process. Once I'm back from that I'm hoping that I'll be able to do some driving to get myself around, and hopefully be able to go and work a bit so that I don't lose my job.

thanks for the good karma guys. I just want to be able to get back on a bike ASAP. Even if it's just the pathways, I just wanna be out there.

07-26-2004, 07:41 PM
Get some traumeel, it's good stuff and it is available in a homeopathic which is taken orally. Do not smear traumeel cream on your cast:lol: . Also get some stuff called flammaforce to reduce inflamation from injury/surgery. Good luck, I had the exact same injury and have a nice screw in my bone for the rest of my life. The cool thing is that now seems to be my strong ankle, bionic maybe?

07-26-2004, 08:29 PM
My wife is a nutirtionist this is what she recommends; If you are on painkillers traumeel will not be as effective but it is still good to have around. Flammaforce 3 times a day for the first two weeks will bring down inflammation and heal scar tissue. MSN 4000 mg a day for the first two weeks and if possible hyaluronic acid (collagen type II) and vitamin C to help fractures. It will be expensive but it works fast! 8)