PDA

View Full Version : what's wrong with it?

Patrick Bateman
06-06-2004, 06:23 AM
So I went riding today, I slipped off a skinny and got the derailleur on the way down...it's fine and the cage is still as straight as it was before but now, it dosn't shift right. I put it in the highest gear on the shifter ( 8 ) but as I shift it down it has a REALLY light feel and it dosn't do anything until about 3 where it shifts to 7 and if I hold it down when the trigger is in 1 it shifts to 6...not good. Anyone know the cause of this and how to fix it?

IFO
06-06-2004, 06:40 AM
did u "pinch" the D cable along the housing some where??

look for a flatened section...

also check to make sure the cable is routed correctly... maybe u moved the cable off a quide or something???

H.T.P.
06-06-2004, 06:42 AM
u could have bent your D hanger?

Patrick Bateman
06-06-2004, 06:48 AM
I have no derailleur hanger, bolts onto the frame (.243) If you need anymore info, it's a Deore rear derailleur with Alivio 8-speed shifter...I just checked the line too, no flat-spots and the routing is fine, any other suggestions?

IFO
06-06-2004, 06:54 AM
perhaps take the cable outa the rear D and move the rear D throu its stroke to see if u have a "notchy" or stiff link in one of the pivots ???

also might wanna give teh rear D cable a pull whiel its disconected to see if teh cable is free, it shouldnt have any resistance....

good luck...

Patrick Bateman
06-06-2004, 06:58 AM
sounds good, it's also muddy too, can mud and grime affect the derailleur in this way? should I just hose it off?

IFO
06-06-2004, 06:59 AM
YES...

mud and grime are the leading cause of poor shifting performance...

go give your bike a bath and then service the cables... super easy and your bike will love you for the attention...

:thepimp:

GRIZZ
06-06-2004, 07:15 AM
barrel adjuster and still check the d hanger..even if it bolts to the frame that can still bend and that is BAD

Faithless
06-06-2004, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by IFO
YES...

mud and grime are the leading cause of poor shifting performance...

go give your bike a bath and then service the cables... super easy and your bike will love you for the attention...

:thepimp:

can untrueness be a factor?

if i petal hard my gears like to slip....

alot.

IFO
06-06-2004, 07:55 AM
Majin ur drivetrain could be worn...

how old is it???

worn out chains or gears will cause skipping while pedalin' hard...

wheeler
06-06-2004, 08:15 AM
Word, a stretched bagged out chain is the worst. I Replace mine constantly. Ever tried lining up a big wheelie drop and have you chain skip? Not very confidence inspiring.