PDA

View Full Version : helmet advice

Zaskar
01-02-2004, 01:48 PM
as my christmas present my parents said they'll pay for a full face because they don't like seeing me riding with a skid. and say that i got 180$ to pick one up with. im looking for a well vented yet obviously protective helmet. i used to rock a 661 Full Bravo and it was alright though I'd like a few more vents. I'm riding a skid lid right now but can't argue with having a full face. My face is worth it.

suggestions

Zedbra
01-02-2004, 02:03 PM
A Netti - PM putty or switch. Lotsa vents.

Ashek
01-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Im in the same boat, looking for a full face right now.
Im thinking 661 full bravo2, mad max 2, or azonic asx.
Fitting issues with either of them? ive heard some stuff about 661 stuff being fitted for kids, and adults only have XL as a choice.
Any personal experiences, which are nicer, have more vents, cuz the prices seem to be about the same.

Rat
01-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Helmets all fit differently buy the one that fits your head the best, end of story

Mr. Charles
01-02-2004, 06:40 PM
^^this is the truth, but...

Vigor Vamoose II... worth twice the price... nice vents. light too. check it out at go-ride.

Mr. Charles
01-02-2004, 06:41 PM
here ya go
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_vigor.html

i think you'll agree the black chrome looks sweet as sugar

[email protected]
01-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Try the Mad Max...of course fit is number 1, but it is a superb helmet. The new ones look pimp....slap on a Troy Lee Moto-Ace visor and you are rockin.

The new Blue and White one would be the ultimate combo with your new bike.

C.C.
01-02-2004, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Mulletron
Try the Mad Max...of course fit is number 1, but it is a superb helmet. The new ones look pimp....slap on a Troy Lee Moto-Ace visor and you are rockin.

The new Blue and White one would be the ultimate combo with your new bike.

Yep, what Mullet said. Only thing is, the TLD visor will put you over budget.

LOBOTIDULATOR
01-02-2004, 07:32 PM
bad thing about the made max is thew visor set up. visors break too easy. i'm all up in the cheap LG helmet. got one for 120, alot of vents, and after i scratched all the stickers off it was fine

Desloc
01-02-2004, 08:35 PM
MEC has the Prime AL for $115... same as the LG and Netti.

http://www.prymegear.com/

I personally like the fit of the Mad Max II, but that's the key... fit.

Des

NooNer
01-02-2004, 08:56 PM
bell bellistic

giro mad maxII

those are the only helmets that fit me. everything else is too hard and uncomfortable. just try lots of different ones on.

Desloc
01-02-2004, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by NooNer
bell bellistic

giro mad maxII

those are the only helmets that fit me. everything else is too hard and uncomfortable. just try lots of different ones on.

Funny, those are the only two helmets that fit me too. Everything else was slightly loose or just odd fitting. The Mace helmet was the definition of hard and uncomfortable :)

Des

Keefer
01-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Desloc
MEC has the Prime AL for $115... same as the LG and Netti.

http://www.prymegear.com/

I personally like the fit of the Mad Max II, but that's the key... fit.

Des

Haha, My brother has that helmet. How long has MEC carried them for?

Desloc
01-02-2004, 11:50 PM
Not long, I'd have to say for about 6 months.

Des

Nelson
01-03-2004, 12:07 AM
For venting, it doesnt get better than a netti, LG or pryme. For warranty, the LG and netti rock. you can paint them with anything, then smash them with a hammer and take it to your dealer and they will give you a new helmet on the spot no questions asked. Hows that for service?

IFO
01-03-2004, 01:59 AM
go to the bigger bike shops and try everything on...

the different brands all fit totally different...

Giro/661 lids dont fit me at all...

but BELL fits me perfect....

heres a good price on a XL 661...

http://www.bikeroom.com/product.cfm?ProductID=248

dont know if that will fit u thou...

the flying moose
01-03-2004, 02:25 AM
Troy Lee.

cuz its expensive which means its better, right?

illomatic
01-03-2004, 02:28 AM
absolutely.....there is NO other helmet worth buying

if you can't afford one just give up biking altogether:rolleyes:

barry
01-03-2004, 02:53 AM
Every head is unique, mass whore yourself and try on as many as you can. Eventually you'll find one that fits perfect. For me it's the Bell Bellistic size L. Fits like a glove, I don't even need to wear the strap (which happens to be very uncomfortable on this helmet).

Zaskar
01-03-2004, 07:33 PM
:lol: yea h. i did that a while ago. im just looking for suggestions.

i want the mad max, corey good eye. that was actually the helmet i was gonna get. with the blue/white. but i wouldnt bother with a TLD visor. i dunno, seems kinda bling for no reason.

i almost want those Vigor helmets, they look/sound insane!!! does anyone here ride one that i could possibly try on sometime? that's chhhhhheap. carbon damn sexy looks pretty vented. cant argue with that. 119$US is in my budget.

IFO
01-03-2004, 09:04 PM
u could try mine on Zaskar, but im sure it'll be to small for you...

i remeber u having a large head adn lots of hair...

whereas i have a tiny head and im bald...:eek:

but the helmet is dam light adn comfy, not to mention really well ventilated...

Keefer
01-03-2004, 10:16 PM
*zaskar here, takin a break from COMRADE! snow jumping filming, burn down your wagons*

yea i lost the hair. its just short scruff now. and yea i wear a large or extra large. IFO do you know what kind of helmet it fits like or somewhere in the Vancouver area that carries them? i heard you got yours direct from the factory.

i've basically made my mind up. blue/white vigor

IFO
01-04-2004, 12:07 AM
yeha i got mine direct....

its super easy to get it factory direct... and its way cheaper then gonig throu a US online site such as Go-ride....

when i ordered mine the lady i spoke with said the helmet fits a little loser in the face then a BELL FF, which is what i used before...

give them call and have your head measured, i went right around where your eyebrows are...seems to be the largest part of your skull for most people..

based on the numbers i got i went a 1/2 size down....i felt it was safer to go a touch smaller then larger...luckily it fit perfectly...

the price on the painted heltmet is ultra low...like 25$ US cheaper then the Carbon if memory serves me right...

http://www.vigorsports.com/

use the company contact number on the site....thats what i did...

UPS shipping to my door in 3 days...:thepimp:

p.s. no one in Vancouver carries the Vigor helmets... which is crazy cuz they are a amazing lid...

i tried to get [email protected] to bring them in, but so far he's still dealnig in 661/Azonic lids only...

hope that helps....

WBC
01-04-2004, 12:19 AM
a few guys at the shop I work at ride the Vigor carbon helmets.

Personally, I find the carbon is so flexy that the mouthpiece probably wouldnt do anything for you anyway. Twist one around...not my idea of security.

I hate Mad Max helmets cause the mouthpiece is so close in. I cracked my face off that several times with my old mad max.

My Bell Bellistics are real good, though. Kinda heavy and the venting ain't the best, but fuck do they fit well. My goggles slip right in, too...no shuffling.

Ill be getting a third bellistic for sure.

IFO
01-04-2004, 12:27 AM
i'll agree with you the Carbon Vigor is flexy... but i think the fiberglass version would be stiffer...

BELL helmets aswell fit my melon perfectly... i swear they must have used my noggin for the mold....

the BELL its my head better them my vigor actually...but the Vigor is still a better fit then any other brand i've tried besides the BELL...

not to mention the BELL has survived so much shit adn abuse..i couldnt be happier with its protection level thats for sure...i havent crashed the Vigor yet, but hopefully its as good as the BELL...

Captain Stabbin
01-04-2004, 03:02 AM
I dont know what size you usually take but i have a big head and my only choices were the netti or troy lee or some of the 661s. I didnt feel like spending $300+ on a helmet so netti it was. Havent looked back. Well priced and it has done its job and vented as hell. THe mad max and bell helmets were nice and decent in price but they didnt come in a big enough size.