PDA

View Full Version : Bike Racks

Damage Inc.
10-21-2003, 05:32 PM
What style/brand of bike rack are you using? Hitch mount? Roof rack mount? What type of vehicle are you mounting the rack to? How much did you pay? Most importantly, how does it work for you?

Here

Lady Gravity
10-21-2003, 06:07 PM
ian - sounds cool, but it's hard to visualize. can you post up any pics? i hang bikes off the tailgate of my truck, but i also have one of those "L" shaped racks. problem is, they really only hold two shore style bikes (even tho it's designed for 3). Also..it won't take bikes without a top tube.

Damage Inc.
10-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Sorry Lady no pics, either before or after it got crunched. Both the truck and the rack are up at the boddy shop right now. When I get it back I'll post a pic. Keep in mind that it's a little bent and wrinkled. Sort of like me...

Picture the BB axle cradled between the crank arm and the frame on a vertical piece of channel, with the crank arm pointing down. Then the pedal axle is hooked by a u-bolt and pulled down as well locking the bike in place. To stabilize the bike the front wheel is then strapped to a channel as you might see on most roof rack style carriers.

Pretty simple. Wish I had thought of it instead of just thieving the idea...

bikeaddict
10-21-2003, 06:23 PM
i have a yakima mo joe...and it goes on a focus...i love it

if u go to www.yakima.com then go to choose my rack...you answer a cpl questions and they pick out a rack that's best suited for your vehicle....check it out

Laurel

Damage Inc.
10-21-2003, 06:28 PM
Nice Rack!... Uh... You know what I mean.

Seriously though, is it easy to take off and on? How many bikes do transport on it at a time?

Cool site too.

GrimJack
10-21-2003, 09:27 PM
I use a sportworks rack, holds your bike by the wheels from the bottom. This rack rocks - solid as hell, less than 30 seconds to load or unload, and cheap. I picked mine up from Cambria Online for $125 CAD.

http://www.bicycleracks.com/stmod.asp

Same design as the ones used on buses.

bikeaddict
10-21-2003, 09:41 PM
the mo joe is super easy to take on and off...and its easy to transport when not in use, by just collapsing it...i can carry 3 bikes on it

yakima makes really good racks!

BAC5.2
10-21-2003, 11:23 PM
I've got a Yakima roof top system.

I have 3 parts on the roof right now. Viper fork-mount rack (for anyone who needs a ride somewhere and has a standard QR). Then I have a Cobra bike rack for my Scream. Holds both wheels, easiest rack I've ever used. Not as solid as the Viper, but for being a wheel holding unit, it's awesome.

The third rack is a Powderhound 4.

UncleAl
10-22-2003, 01:39 AM
Who's hitch rack costs $900?? I could see that kind of a price on a full roof system from Yakima or Thule, but not a hitch rack!
How much do you want to spend?
I really like this one:
Saris Cycle-On (http://www.graberproducts.com/article/article_control.asp?nextForm=fDetailArticle&originForm=&id=175&class=8&action=delbc&killCache=true)
It's not cheap, but it's burly.

flowrider
10-22-2003, 01:44 AM
I got the Yakima King Cobra mainly because of the NSMB review. It is a great rack that is very solid and well built but I have only one concern. I have it on a Honda Civic Wagon which isn't too tall BUT being a short 5'8" and having a Banshee Scream weighing over 50lbs, that fat bastard is tough to get into the holder without nearly crushing myself. If I had the choice and a bigger vehicle I would get a reciever mount rack like a Hollywood which holds the wheels.

GrimJack
10-22-2003, 02:04 AM
UncleAl, that Saris appears to be the same as the sportworks I use... but at a huge price increase!

ATN
10-22-2003, 02:10 AM
I use the $67 MEC L rack bolted on to a 1 1/4 hitch on a 03 Nissan Sentra.

I have a bolt and 2 nuts that can be used to stabilize the rack, also putting my leg pads around the main pole of the rack kills the noise.

I needed a top tupe adaptor to load my Giant on though, and 3 bikes is iffy.

UncleAl
10-22-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by GrimJack
UncleAl, that Saris appears to be the same as the sportworks I use... but at a huge price increase!

Sounds like you got a good deal, but I know the Sportworks stuff - they used to sell it at Crappy Tire. The Mod Series and the Cycle-On are similar concepts, but the Saris is heavy duty. I already said it wasn't cheap!

Xayvian
10-22-2003, 03:32 AM
Thule Expressway - 2" hitch mount on my SUV. Holds four bikes. Works great. Haven't found a bike that it couldn't hold.

Came with a hitch pin lock, a cable lock and an anti-sway bar that is really only needed when you are carrying one bike.

Take a look at the Yakima RimROC if you only need to carry three bikes. It holds bikes by the rims so any frame style will fit.

switch
10-22-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by ATN
I use the $67 MEC L rack bolted on to a 1 1/4 hitch on a 03 Nissan Sentra.

I have a bolt and 2 nuts that can be used to stabilize the rack, also putting my leg pads around the main pole of the rack kills the noise.

I needed a top tupe adaptor to load my Giant on though, and 3 bikes is iffy.

I have the same setup, and need the top tube adaptor for my Peeler. Problem is that the front wheel ends up being close to the ground. A better rack would be the type with two prongs that are couple feet apart. Something like this:
http://www.rackattack.com/cart/product-images/cats38/ACF907.jpg

I saw one the other day, that was very similar, hitched onto a Hyundai. It was made Swagman. Anyway, with this type of rack you can load the bike so that the prongs go under the head tube and then somewhere in the rear triangle area, giving much better ground clearance.

Curtis
10-22-2003, 04:36 PM
Damage inc. Sounds like agreat idea.

As for what you should sell it for.
Look at it this way,figure what your time is worth. If you where to start this as a business you have to figure this out now, you can always lower your price, you can't raise it. So figure that your personal labour is worth say $25 per hour to fabficate plus the cost of material.
I'd guess it would take you about 4-6hrs to build one, and material, is about $200.00 max.
Sell it for $350 if your thinking of going into production. Your production costs are goiong to drop the more material you buy, so you can always lower your asking price while still maintaining your profit margin.
I'm sure anyone on here who is taking business or economics could point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Damage Inc.
10-22-2003, 04:41 PM
Last year

Damage Inc.
10-22-2003, 04:54 PM
Curtis,
Your total is about spot on except. A few more hours and a little less in materials. Of course I had quite a lot more hours into the first one figuring it out.

I don't really want to go into production with it, just crank out a few for buddies and see what happens.

There is always someone out there willing to build something better for less money.

Curtis
10-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Damage Inc.
Curtis,
Your total is about spot on except. A few more hours and a little less in materials. Of course I had quite a lot more hours into the first one figuring it out.

I don't really want to go into production with it, just crank out a few for buddies and see what happens.

There is always someone out there willing to build something better for less money.

Go for it man.

EaTDuRRRT
10-22-2003, 07:37 PM
I would highly recommend the yakima king cobra roof rack...

I have it on a vw golf and I've put 3 big bikes on it (2 big hits and a rocky mountain switch)...It's very stable and the bikes aren't going anywhere.

The mounts are around $230 each plus whatever for the rails.

The only problem I found with it was that I have a 3.0 inch rear tire on my big hit and it's really tough to get the buckle/plastic-strips thing locked in.

If you dont mind lifting your bikes up onto the roof, then this roof rack is king...really solid...

yellowdogx
10-23-2003, 03:23 AM
I too have the sportsworks BOB ratchet bike carrier. Its made in Seatle and it rocks. Got to meet the one of the guys from there at whistler this year really nice guy. However my friend just picked up this rack from CrappyTire, and it actually isn't that bad...its almost good :D

It was only like $130 and it holds two bikes same idea as the sportsworks one but ataches to your trailer reciever, definatly the nicest inexpensive rack I have yet to see. Dont think it could fit 3.0 tires though. But if anyone is on a budget this thing rocks for the $$$.

BAC5.2
10-23-2003, 05:36 AM
Originally posted by flowrider
I got the Yakima King Cobra mainly because of the NSMB review. It is a great rack that is very solid and well built but I have only one concern. I have it on a Honda Civic Wagon which isn't too tall BUT being a short 5'8" and having a Banshee Scream weighing over 50lbs, that fat bastard is tough to get into the holder without nearly crushing myself. If I had the choice and a bigger vehicle I would get a reciever mount rack like a Hollywood which holds the wheels.

I grab the seat tube right above the pivot, and I grab the fork lower, right above the rotor. Lift with the legs, push it up over my head and down onto the rack.

All one fluid motion, kind of hard at the end of a long ass ride, but not to bad.

I have a Subaru legacy sedan, roofline is a good nipple high on me, and I am 6' 1".

I think I would rather have the roof mount, but that's because I drive a Subaru and it looks pussy without any mud and no roof rack.