PDA

View Full Version : sucking noise on fox RC

Rat
10-14-2003, 07:45 PM
My rear shock is progessivly getting noisier kind of a sucking sound. I assume this means it's toast or soon to be. Anyone want to shed some light on how long this shock is going to last me.

I hear it's 150.00 to get them rebuilt is it worth it to dump anouther 450 and go to a progessive or a manitou. The Bike is an 01 big hit. FYI

some dude
10-14-2003, 08:14 PM
Full Boar Cycles in Kamloops will rebuild for ~ $50

m33p
10-14-2003, 08:24 PM
aye fullboar rebuild for $50. That sucking noise is meaning you need a nitro recharge to my knowledge. I would spend the $500 for a 5th or swinger. Completely changed any bikes ride.

Rat
10-14-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the tip on Full boar. so do you just call them up and ship to them I would guess. for 50 Clams ill get it fixed regardless it's worth that as a back up but I am very interested in getting a swinger or a 5th.

b-man
10-14-2003, 09:38 PM
besides the SPV shocks, check out the romic. It feels livelier than the SPV, but it can also have a platform. I just got one and MAAAAN does it improve the ride!:cool:

ronald55555
10-14-2003, 10:12 PM
a mod you can do to your shock is to add a nitrogen valve, makes recharging much easier, just take it to a mx shop.

here's a pic of mine
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=75114

Rat
10-14-2003, 10:30 PM
Hey Ronald did you have an MX shop in Van do your shock and for how much?

B-Man are you running the romic on a Big Hit?

NooNer
10-14-2003, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ronald55555
a mod you can do to your shock is to add a nitrogen valve, makes recharging much easier, just take it to a mx shop.

here's a pic of mine
http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/photo/?op=view&image=75114

how do you do that?

ronald55555
10-14-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Rat
Hey Ronald did you have an MX shop in Van do your shock and for how much?

B-Man are you running the romic on a Big Hit?

Holeshot rebuilt and added the valve for $70, including eveththing.

but they dont do mtb shocks, mine was......special

they might add the valve for you, but i dont thinkt hey would rebuild it.

[email protected]
10-14-2003, 11:13 PM
I have never ridden an RC that did not make valve noise...I wouldn't assume it is a bad thing, it is the sound of oil moving through the shock, and that it is working.

C.

ronald55555
10-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by NooNer
how do you do that?

release all the nitrogen, remove the stock Fox bushing, re tap the hole so it fits the new valve.
Warning, highly dangerous!!!!

IFO
10-15-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Mulletron
I have never ridden an RC that did not make valve noise...I wouldn't assume it is a bad thing, it is the sound of oil moving through the shock, and that it is working.

C.

agreed... my RC's have always made oil noise when cycled throu a large amount of travel...

unless your shock is making excessive noises i wouldnt worry.. u can tell when your shock is going bad if the rebound/compression circuits arent as active as they used to be....

good luck....

AirTime
10-15-2003, 03:18 AM
A small amount of sucking noise from your RC is ok. It means that some air is in with the oil. No biggie. I am currently offering custom 2-stage progressive valving to Vanilla RC's. If your interested, email me at: [email protected] for more details. Thanx.

The_Real_Yeti
10-15-2003, 03:36 AM
buy a fifth

Zedbra
10-15-2003, 03:51 AM
Mine made that noise, and it got louder and louder, and then, hucking offa 11' rock drop, it decided to not rebound, sending my down rear wheel heavy and into a a lovely tumble. A real crowd pleaser it was.

Anyways - I send it back to Cycleworks (this is from my 01 Shore) and they tell me that it was under warranty because it had a faulty valving system that they knew was a problem. Cost - shipping for me there only. They picked up the return tab and fixed it for free.

WBC
10-15-2003, 05:55 AM
I can say this...

After getting on a 5thE...I will NEVER EVER go non SPV again.

The pedalling is amazing, the feel is even better. These shocks just sink into drops...actually sticking the rear wheel and giving amazing control. it's beautiful.

DangerousDean
10-15-2003, 06:01 AM
mine shock makes that noise to, but only when im dirtjumping... :???:

AirTime
10-15-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by WBC
I can say this...

After getting on a 5thE...I will NEVER EVER go non SPV again.

The pedalling is amazing, the feel is even better. These shocks just sink into drops...actually sticking the rear wheel and giving amazing control. it's beautiful.

A PROPERLY valved Fox Vanilla RC can feel just as good as a 5th. Most people don't believe me, but it can. The 5th just has ALOT of low-speed compression damping in it. Easily done with a valve job. Much cheaper too!! Jus' my .02 cent.

mike
10-15-2003, 06:04 AM
it is normal for it to make that noise when compressed fast
its not really anything to worry about, it just means there is air in the shock which over time gets in there. mine makes the sucking noise, always has.. so did the rc on my idrive and the other vanillas ive had on my s8

BAC5.2
10-15-2003, 06:35 AM
It's not uncommon for Fox shocks to suck.