PDA

View Full Version : Disc setup problem?

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:12 AM
I put a set of xt disc on and the rear needed a few spacers but the front is hitting the left side pad with no way of moving the caliper over without removing metal from the caliper or fork. Has anyone had a simular prob? whats the trick? do I need to get one of those surfacing tools or? Thanks for any help.

fr33k
10-02-2003, 02:14 AM
Never had any problems, but I run Hayes. Could you try using some thin washers as spacers to bring the caliper were its supposed to go ?

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:18 AM
No, the caliper is too far to the right and needs to move left. spacers will just move it in the wrong direction.

SPOKE
10-02-2003, 02:20 AM
What kinda fork are you mounting it to?

fr33k
10-02-2003, 02:21 AM
or a diffrent adapter ?

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:22 AM
Fox 125RLC and there is no adapters.

SPOKE
10-02-2003, 02:25 AM
is there alot of paint on the tabs(on the fork) where the caliper mounts to the fork. sometime that cause an bad fit.

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:28 AM
True, Im going to chip it off fhere in a few but I dont think it will be enough.

fr33k
10-02-2003, 02:30 AM
you could also try using thin spacers on the disc mounting screws to push it out. My friend had to do this a while back when shimano first started making discs and didnt offer the 8" rotor

*Pepe*
10-02-2003, 02:32 AM
try chipping some paint off your fork. if you are using an adapter, i'd very very very carefully try taking it down with a file. again, be careful cause you can make a mess of it in no time. if you're mounting the caliper straight onto the fork, carefully take a flat file to it in order to remove more than simply paint

it doesn't take much to make things fit, so be patient, and i think you'll be fine.

no special tools required other than a flat file.

SPOKE
10-02-2003, 02:32 AM
Thats weird man I had XT's and the bolted up beauty. plus if there is no adapters it should be all shims. I guess its time to
hit you LBS with some questions

*Pepe*
10-02-2003, 02:34 AM
actually, it's not the caliper that changes, it's the fork. sometimes the tolerances on them are not identical. you'll be fine, just don't rush your filing...

barry
10-02-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by fr33k
you could also try using thin spacers on the disc mounting screws to push it out. My friend had to do this a while back when shimano first started making discs and didnt offer the 8" rotor
i like the idea of this...

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:35 AM
Thanks Pepe, I know someone makes a tool for just this but can't find it anywere? As far as the LBS goes, well im the guy they call to take care of disc problems so........

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by Barry
i like the idea of this...
You can't use spacers! its too far already.

SPOKE
10-02-2003, 02:38 AM
DAM!!! sorry bud maybe call Fox direct then?

*Pepe*
10-02-2003, 02:38 AM
no special tool required. i've done it before. just take a small flat file directly to the tabs.

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by SPOKE
DAM!!! sorry bud maybe call Fox direct then?
Hey spoke, hope I didn't sound like I was barking, just anwsered that question a few times already. Thanks for the Idea.

Fast Orange
10-02-2003, 02:47 AM
File down your disc tabs. Or do the right thing and have a shop that has the surfacing tool remove some material for you properly.
Filing it could make one tab thicker than the other and if that happens you will have a very hard time getting it not to rub.

The problem you have is actually quite common. Sometimes brand new bikes would come right out of the box like that.

SPOKE
10-02-2003, 02:48 AM
hey no worries! good luck man in finding a solution

JAM
10-02-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Barak
File down your disc tabs. Or do the right thing and have a shop that has the surfacing tool remove some material for you properly.
Filing it could make one tab thicker than the other and if that happens you will have a very hard time getting it not to rub.

The problem you have is actually quite common. Sometimes brand new bikes would come right out of the box like that.
Do you have any idea who makes the surfacing tool? I'm willing to buy one if I could find who makes um.

XXX_er
10-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by Barak

yeah I understand its common,I had to do it on a rear mounting tab ,but only 1 tab was cock-eyed

I started with a file ,ended up with a drill and disc sanding attachment,had to be very careful,it worked out fine

This might be the one thing for which a do-it yerselfer would want to phone around and find a shop with the tool .While it does happen its not an everyday kind of thing I would buy a special tool for unless I had a shop

*Pepe*
10-02-2003, 02:54 AM
a surfacing tool would be best.. no doubt... but if you're in a bind a file will get you on the trail. again, you need to be confident that you're not gonna go wild and take off too much or file unevenly...

SPOKE
10-02-2003, 03:17 AM
Hey maybe you could PM FOX I think that he was talking about the tool your looking for. He may know where you can pick one up
or at lease order one!

SPOKE
10-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Alright I found a facing tool for disc brake tabs
www.hopetech.com/products/products_index.htm

or go to nsmb links and go to hope website
it's in the maintence section

IFO
10-02-2003, 03:35 AM
your LBS should have one....

then if u still wanna buy one u could get one from there...

those tools arent something u'd really ever have need to own unless u bought alot of new frames/forks....

i'd just let the LBS do the work....

JAM
10-02-2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by SPOKE
Alright I found a facing tool for disc brake tabs
www.hopetech.com/products/products_index.htm

or go to nsmb links and go to hope website
it's in the maintence section
Thanks SPOKE

sanrensho
10-02-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by fr33k

He's saying that the LEFT pad rubs. Moving the calipers over with spaces would only push the LEFT pad further into the rotor.;)

I never had this problem mounting XT calipers to a Marzocchi fork. Filing the disc tab (as others recommended) is the only solution I can think of. Good luck.

BAC5.2
10-02-2003, 07:16 AM
Magura makes a facing tool. We had one in our Washington DC store, but not my location. It was a good little tool. But if you want to buy one retail, it's close to $400 bucks.