PDA

View Full Version : IT recruiters, Vancouver area...

SixZeroSixOne
03-26-2012, 10:27 PM
Can anyone recommend an IT recruitment company in/around Vancouver?

Alternatively, any to AVOID?

(Looking as a potential job seeker rather than employer)

ADS
03-26-2012, 10:47 PM
PM'd

switch
03-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Employers have to pay a hefty fee to recruiters and prefer to not hire through them.

This online listing is good. Give it a browse before going through a recruiter.
http://www.bctechnology.com

SixZeroSixOne
03-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Employers have to pay a hefty fee to recruiters and prefer to not hire through them.

Yes, my current boss hired me thru Craigslist. It should have alerted me to the fact that my boss is a cheapskate. Frankly, if an employer is too cheap to invest in their workforce, I'm not sure that I'd want to work for them :(

Having said that, thanks for the link!

thewalrus
03-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Ledcor telecom is hiring for wireless buildouts. It helps if you have some experience with tower erection.

switch
03-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Yes, my current boss hired me thru Craigslist. It should have alerted me to the fact that my boss is a cheapskate. Frankly, if an employer is too cheap to invest in their workforce, I'm not sure that I'd want to work for them :(

Having said that, thanks for the link!
Craigslist? :S

Check the link. It is a great resource for employment opportunity in the BC technology sector. Our company pushes its use, as well as employee referrals.

I've spent a lot of time deling with recruiters, and there are only a couple that were useful. The rest are more concerned about closing the deal than meeting the employer/employee requirements.

SixZeroSixOne
03-27-2012, 02:18 AM
... and there are only a couple that were useful

Care to enlighten me? PM if you prefer!

connor
03-27-2012, 03:13 AM

This online listing is good. Give it a browse before going through a recruiter.
http://www.bctechnology.com

yeah T-net is good, my company always has lots of jobs on there.

switch
03-27-2012, 04:10 AM
Care to enlighten me? PM if you prefer!

It's pretty straight forward. I ask the recruiter to find someone to fill a role, and give detailed requirements. For example, I could ask for a programmer who must know a couple languages very well and has a few years experience on a specific platform. What does the recruiter do? They send someone who has the language listed in their resume, but do not know it all. The person also has no experience, and hardly even understands the platform. I explain the requirements again to the recruiter, and then they continue to send people who do not fit the bill.

If the recruiter does not know anyone who can fill the position, they a) send anyone hoping that there's an off-chance they will get hired, and b) send inexperienced candidates so that the candidates will get some interview experience.

When a good recruiter was found, and they didn't have any good candidates, they would wait until they had one before getting back to me. This might take months, but the candidates were always, at worst, a pretty good fit.

Recruiter fees are high. T-Net is free. I believe it was also up in co-operation with some provincial agencies to help promote the tech industry in B.C.

Another link:
http://www.hitechbc.com/

KenN
03-27-2012, 05:06 AM
Can anyone recommend an IT recruitment company in/around Vancouver?

Alternatively, any to AVOID?

(Looking as a potential job seeker rather than employer)

Well it's about time!! ;o)

Kn.

SixZeroSixOne
03-27-2012, 06:24 AM
It's pretty straight forward. I ask the recruiter to find someone to fill a role, and give detailed requirements. For example, I could ask for a programmer who must know a couple languages very well and has a few years experience on a specific platform. What does the recruiter do? They send someone who has the language listed in their resume, but do not know it all. The person also has no experience, and hardly even understands the platform. I explain the requirements again to the recruiter, and then they continue to send people who do not fit the bill.

If the recruiter does not know anyone who can fill the position, they a) send anyone hoping that there's an off-chance they will get hired, and b) send inexperienced candidates so that the candidates will get some interview experience.

When a good recruiter was found, and they didn't have any good candidates, they would wait until they had one before getting back to me. This might take months, but the candidates were always, at worst, a pretty good fit.

Recruiter fees are high. T-Net is free. I believe it was also up in co-operation with some provincial agencies to help promote the tech industry in B.C.

Another link:
http://www.hitechbc.com/

Understood and thanks for that other link. Both have been useful!

Well it's about time!! ;o)

Kn.

Well, I've talked about this for a long time...I guess it's time for action

switch
03-27-2012, 06:26 AM
BC needs skilled workers.

Good luck!

Max Rockatansky...
03-28-2012, 05:06 AM
I know nothing about IT but should be able to get you in touch with a good IT recruiter or someone that can get you the right name. PM me and I will send you some details.

Not sure who switch has dealt with but recruiters are no different to any other profession, companies, managers and especially staff... there are good and there are very bad and everything in between.

My experience with recruiting from both sides of the table is that if a company is working with a recruiter, they have already decided that investing in their human resources is worth the associated fees. They will hire the best person for the job regardless of the source. especially if it is a large company. you just want the right person for the job asap.