PDA

View Full Version : Notary or Lawyer for Real estate

rnayel
03-01-2012, 10:41 PM
So we bought a townhouse and now we need a lawyer/notary.

Any recommendations in Vancouver/North Van?

Any horror stories?

stinky_rider7
03-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Kerry Morgan dealt with our apartment sale & house purchase:

http://kerrymorgannotary.ca/

The process went smoothly. She was easily available for questions and was helpful with the bank re: mortgage (they needed her to provide info to them quickly).

Bradical
03-01-2012, 11:49 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but dont you rely on your realitor to take care of the legalities...therefore just go to a Notary .
For about $75/100 and a few of your signature your done.....Lawyers will be the cost of a Notary x3.

Tmack
03-02-2012, 12:06 AM
If you're buying with someone that isn't your spouse I would say lawyer, if it's just you then notary.

in_a_bath
03-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Kerry Morgan dealt with our apartment sale & house purchase:

http://kerrymorgannotary.ca/

The process went smoothly. She was easily available for questions and was helpful with the bank re: mortgage (they needed her to provide info to them quickly).

Rachid - when I told you I couldn't remember who we used but it was someone close to you, this was who we used.

rnayel
03-02-2012, 12:34 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong...but dont you rely on your realitor to take care of the legalities...therefore just go to a Notary .
For about $75/100 and a few of your signature your done.....Lawyers will be the cost of a Notary x3.

It's about a grand either way. Was talking with a lawyer friends in Ottawa and you'd be surprised how many professionals actually f this up.

He will typically see one case a month where somebody hired a lawyer who doesn't specialize in real-estate and is now coming to him to fix their mess.

Thanks for the advise, I'll call the notary recommended.

CraigH
03-02-2012, 12:35 AM
When we bought a house about 5 years ago the cost for a Notary & a Lawyer was the same so we went with a Lawyer who regularily does real estate. For the same price why not.

Edit: One thing to watch, make sure that you aren't using the same lawyer/notary that the seller is using. They can't be on both sides of the deal.

Bryce
03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Trevors Bjurman on Lonsdale

Poz
03-02-2012, 03:46 AM
When we bought a house about 5 years ago the cost for a Notary & a Lawyer was the same so we went with a Lawyer who regularily does real estate. For the same price why not.

Edit: One thing to watch, make sure that you aren't using the same lawyer/notary that the seller is using. They can't be on both sides of the deal.

They should let you know, otherwise they would be breaking a pretty big lawyering rule of conflict of interest.

For what it is worth, if there is anything that could potentially cause a hiccup get a lawyer that specializes in real estate. For a multi-hundreds of thousands of dollars deal what is a couple hundred bucks at best?

Failing that, get a notary that specializes in real estate. My buddy almost lost a place (and deposit) because of an inept notary.