PDA

View Full Version : Riding shorts - for wet days?

horizontally opposed
11-12-2011, 01:09 AM
Does anyone recommend a brand of riding shorts for wet weather? Now that the rainy season is here, I thought I'd use my Gore shorts which I bought in the summer. They've been used once and washed according to the instructions. The run down pipeline today had them feeling like wet diapers. Maybe it doesn't rain where they tested these shorts. Silly me for assuming "gore" meant suitable for wet conditions.

LostBoyScout
11-12-2011, 01:30 AM
My MEC shorts did the same thing today so probably not them. I am going to pick up a pair of tight fitting full length riding pants to wear as thermal underwear under them for next time out, see if that helps.

Also keen to hear about options!

BareFootMeshback
11-12-2011, 01:41 AM
Trying to stay dry riding this time of year is a lost cause. You are way better off focusing on wearing layers that are warm while wet.

SubPlop
11-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Just bought a new pair from Cove. Sombrio pair that are super water resistant, nice Zipper pockets on em. lovin em. They're clearin out the stock so they knocked 40% off the price.

LostBoyScout
11-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Trying to stay dry riding this time of year is a lost cause. You are way better off focusing on wearing layers that are warm while wet.

Agreed, I don't think anyone's trying stay dry here, just stay comfortable while wet.

Also: lycra shorts under your stuff instead of boxers helps.

syncro
11-12-2011, 02:34 AM
lycra shorts, tld moto shorts or something similar, 3 pairs of polypro socks, merino jersey base layer, synthetic jersey 2nd layer and a light weight rain shell over top. you'll be wet but still warm.

Sharon
11-12-2011, 02:43 AM
long tights with baggy shorts overtop.

Oldfart
11-12-2011, 03:33 AM
I wonder if the spray off your back tire was getting water over the waist band and down that way? You have to have a jacket overlapping that area. I have a pair of water proofish Sombrio that are quite good. A few other sort of soft shell Sombrio that are fine when it's not super wet. And a great pair of Endura knickers Venturi II model. I figure if anyone makes good wet weather gear it's the Scots.

horizontally opposed
11-12-2011, 03:45 AM
The issue is just the shorts. I was plenty warm enough, merino, armour, shirt and jacket kept the top half in good shape, it's the spray into the seat of the pants off the rear tire. I can't find the old style I used to have which wore out from that gritty sand which is unique to Nicoles on Burnaby mountain (last winter's favourite when snow kept Fromme unridable.) I guess I'm off to Cove to see what they've got- thanks.

Heathen
11-12-2011, 04:11 AM

This.

And this my wet Fromme short.
http://www.ukcyclingshorts.co.uk/img/6/10880/1.jpg

My base layer.
http://www.cyclepathbrampton.com/accessories/images/sugoiRsShort.jpg

And this is my fave for cold days.
http://www.chromeindustries.ca/media/catalog/product/T/e/TelegraphHero_Charcoal_Enlarge_1_2.jpg

schoenrock
11-12-2011, 04:30 AM
baggy shorts with long tights overtop.

Dean W
11-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Getting wet is inevitable.

Wear wicking layers and have a dry change of clothes ready for when you are finished.

or

http://www.bigorangewatersports.co.uk/images/nookie_2011_strides.jpg

switch
11-12-2011, 07:15 AM
Ride down Ned's when it rains hard and you'll get an ice-cold enema. A waterproof riding jacket that's long in the back helps a lot.

boomforeal
11-12-2011, 07:17 AM
(original) roach indy's. /thread

clownmitts
11-12-2011, 07:17 AM
i wear diapers

L. Ron Hubbard
11-12-2011, 07:42 AM

Bib shorts + baggies + leg warmers. Tights = 1 crash and you need some repairs on your expensive tights. Leg warmers = just replace as necessary.

Erik
11-12-2011, 07:51 AM
Or you could buy $10 tights from walmart and crash all winter for next to nothing

Bob Vila
11-12-2011, 10:48 AM
My alpine stars have been wicked in the wet.

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/alpines-gravity-sh-zoom.jpg

Duncan
11-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Warning. Old Man Talking ... coming through:

I recall a time (maybe 10 years ago) when it seemed DH/FR pants were burley, practical and fairly water-resistant. This was "back in the day" when a lot of the stuff was made and designed locally - e.g. Roach. I don't think a lot of the stuff on the clothing racks at bike stores these days is very durable or weather resistant.

It you have the time to think about and feel wetness in your butt and crotch area while you are riding, you probably aren't riding hard enough. Adrenaline, tunnel vision and endorphin make for good distractions from trivial things like personal comfort.

cdn_rider
11-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Sombrio wildcards are the best winter wet riding shorts .. warm, 3/4 long tuff as nails and waterproof also have belt loops and good vents
http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/sombrio-wildcard-09-med.jpg
http://http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=49262

Carrot Top
11-12-2011, 06:02 PM
http://media.lunch.com/d/d7/203601.jpg?3

pwrslm
11-12-2011, 06:38 PM

paramedics had to cut these off me two weeks ago. I almost cried. They served me well for over a decade.

ito
11-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Goretex needs to be reconditioned every so often. Depending on how much you use the item and how often you wash it I would suggest a rinse in a GORE approved soap and then a tumble on a low-medium heat in the dryer. Finish it off with a spray-on DWR treatment and you should be set for a while. I use my Goretex shell a lot during the winter and only need to do this once a season.

Sounds like most of you would benefit from a fender on the back-end of your bike. That solved all my problems when riding fall-spring in the northeast.

BurkeMtnRider
11-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Warning. Old Man Talking ... coming through:

I recall a time (maybe 10 years ago) when it seemed DH/FR pants were burley, practical and fairly water-resistant. This was "back in the day" when a lot of the stuff was made and designed locally - e.g. Roach. I don't think a lot of the stuff on the clothing racks at bike stores these days is very durable or weather resistant.

It you have the time to think about and feel wetness in your butt and crotch area while you are riding, you probably aren't riding hard enough. Adrenaline, tunnel vision and endorphin make for good distractions from trivial things like personal comfort.

Full tunnel vision I'm a racing horse, want more you can take me to war.

FullMonty
11-12-2011, 10:40 PM
I have a pair of Mace NOS pants that are surprisingly good. water proofing actually works even after many washes, and it's just a DWR coating. pretty sure Mace is being left to die by norco (it's a norco sub-brand) but if you can find a pair of the shorts they're worth giving a look.

Sethimus
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
anyone has some riding time on the race face ambush shorts?

enduramil
11-14-2011, 08:23 PM

If you can find them.:D They are like Vibranium.

And a great pair of Endura knickers Venturi II model. I figure if anyone makes good wet weather gear it's the Scots.

Yep. Don't know about the Gore shorts butEndura has the Spray Shorts.

Happy so far with the Altura attacks.

shirk
11-14-2011, 08:55 PM
For shuttling or lift riding:

MEC Gaspesie Pant (http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/WaterproofBreathables/Bottoms/PRD~5015-841/mec-gaspesie-pant-mens.jsp)

+

scissors

+

sewing maching

=

Waterproof riding shorts.

The longer you cut them the harder they are to pedal in. I sized mine to fit over my regular riding shorts. On wet Fromme rides when it's not pouring rain I'll climb in my regular shorts then pull these on overtop for the descent.

Still looking for the right cheap pants with enough breathability and waterproof to make into shorts for pedalling.

I always wear a merino wool layer (https://www.io-bio.ca/node/355)under my shorts when it's cold/wet. Nice to be warm even when you do get wet.

Buster Bluth
11-14-2011, 09:06 PM
I wear either (from inside to outside):

1. chamois liner short, merino 3/4 tights, same shorts I wear in the summer

or

2. chamois liner short, merino boxer briefs, same shorts I wear in the summer and kyle straight kneepads.

But I'm not as gnar as a lot of you.
:couple:

Buster Bluth
11-14-2011, 09:08 PM
http://media.lunch.com/d/d7/203601.jpg?3

When I was in the diaper area at the superstore the lady looked at me like I was from marz when I asked if they had all-mountain diapers.

Sharon
11-14-2011, 11:56 PM
I wear either (from inside to outside):

1. chamois liner short, merino 3/4 tights, same shorts I wear in the summer

or

2. chamois liner short, merino boxer briefs, same shorts I wear in the summer and kyle straight kneepads.

But I'm not as gnar as a lot of you.
:couple:

you wear merino boxers outside your chamoix????

Buster Bluth
11-15-2011, 12:03 AM
you wear merino boxers outside your chamoix????

When I'm feeling romantic.

horizontally opposed
11-15-2011, 02:07 AM
Is it too late to put a diaper change table on my Fromme wish list?

enduramil
11-15-2011, 08:32 PM
Sounds like most of you would benefit from a fender on the back-end of your bike. That solved all my problems when riding fall-spring in the northeast.

Was thinking this. Might be a bit harder on a duallie but I have seen it done. Need to be a bit creative.

Oldfart
11-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I used to ride fenders all the time. And I used to break or bend the wire stays all the time. The Syncros invented proper stiff large aluminum stays but then if you had a stick go in the spokes the fender would get sucked into the frame and hilarity ensued. I quit using fenders and just wear them now. Those clamp on types are particularly lame. Kick the stupid things constantly. I swapped bikes with abuddy on the weekend. He had one of those. Yep I kicked it cockeyed almost immediately.

Bryce
11-15-2011, 09:45 PM
How did the Gore shorts very wet on the inside? I'd figure that out before writing them off. I wear Gore all winter and I'm almost completely dry after a full day. Not cheap but it works.

Harry T
11-16-2011, 02:13 AM
Has anyone tried the Raceface Ambush pants? I was thinking about picking up a pair for the winter season but wanted to get some feedback first.

horizontally opposed
11-16-2011, 03:09 AM
Bryce, The Gore shorts, as with many newer style riding shorts, are single layer. Riding in our part of the world on a wet day means getting lots of mud between the seat of the shorts and the seat. Multiple laps of Fromme mean you're up and down off the seat a lot. For single layer pants the water repellency becomes useless since the shorts are soon saturated with "loam". My old style double layer shorts basically kept the mud on the outer fabric and the inner layer stayed clean, at least for a couple of hours.
As alluded to elsewhere, it's not during the ride that this becomes a big distraction, but I felt bad for leaving a wet spot in my friends car. This only happened when the inner lining of the gore shorts sponged up water for later release. Not a problem now that I'm not using the gore shorts, but will report back if I get a chance to try some recommendations from this thread.

syncro
11-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Bryce, The Gore shorts, as with many newer style riding shorts, are single layer. Riding in our part of the world on a wet day means getting lots of mud between the seat of the shorts and the seat. Multiple laps of Fromme mean you're up and down off the seat a lot. For single layer pants the water repellency becomes useless since the shorts are soon saturated with "loam". My old style double layer shorts basically kept the mud on the outer fabric and the inner layer stayed clean, at least for a couple of hours.
As alluded to elsewhere, it's not during the ride that this becomes a big distraction, but I felt bad for leaving a wet spot in my friends car. This only happened when the inner lining of the gore shorts sponged up water for later release. Not a problem now that I'm not using the gore shorts, but will report back if I get a chance to try some recommendations from this thread.

this is why there's been multiple suggestions of layering your gear with a mositure wicking bottom layer. if you're worried about leaving your post ride ass gravy in your or a friend's vehicle then leave a clean pair of shorts/pants in the vehicle to slip into after. stip off the wet/dirty top layer, leave on the fairly dry bottom layer and then pull on the fresh bottoms.

Oldfart
11-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Bryce, The Gore shorts, as with many newer style riding shorts, are single layer.

A single layer of fabric but that fabric is usually three layers bonded as one. The outer fabric is the one that offers the first line of defense. It should be abrasion resistant and have a durable water repellent coating. The gore layer is an expanded micro porous layer of PTFE or Teflon. That's the white stuff you see when you tear a goretex garment. There should also be an inner layer to protect the membrane from wear from the inside. The toughest stuff will have a nylon outer and polyester inner. There are some 2.5 layer materials but I am not sure what that means. I think it means the inner layer is more of a grid or dots of something that provides abrasion resistance. There are also two layer goretex fabrics where there is no inner fabric bonded to the membrane but a loose mesh or fabric instead. Those suck for hard use as the fabric gets wet and clingy. Cheaper garments use that.

Goretex needs a water repellent coating to function fully. If the outer layer wets out, the garment looses the ability to breath because the surface tension of the water that has wetted the outer layer won't allow vapour out. Water won't get through goretex membranes though unless it is damaged. And you will get some moisture inside from sweating anyway as even the best goretex will not breath like jersey.

What you really need is an arse section that is simple heavy coated unbreathable material with a goretex front and sides. I don't think there are any shorts or knickers like that.

Rat
11-16-2011, 08:14 PM
if your a 28 or 30 inch waist these pants which the legs zip off to convert to shorts have been great for me.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&webTypeId=105&navTitle=Apparel-MX+Gear+Men%27s&webCatId=1&prodFamilyId=22956

cant beat the price

enduramil
11-16-2011, 09:23 PM
if your a 28 or 30 inch waist these pants which the legs zip off to convert to shorts have been great for me.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&webTypeId=105&navTitle=Apparel-MX+Gear+Men%27s&webCatId=1&prodFamilyId=22956

cant beat the price

$6 more but they have larger sizes.

http://www.auroraactionsports.ca/shop.php?lineCode=SRW&sexCode=M&catCode=&part=04195&page=1

[email protected]
11-17-2011, 03:25 AM
Has anyone tried the Raceface Ambush pants? I was thinking about picking up a pair for the winter season but wanted to get some feedback first.

I'm testing a pair right now. They're the first riding pants I've had in years that I actually used, and they're great - I've even decided to wear them a few times when I could have worn shorts instead. I'll have a gear shots up for them in the near future. Recommended.

Mishtar
11-17-2011, 06:00 AM

cant beat the price

How are they for the pedal up? Not to stiff?

Bradical
11-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Anyone using the 2011 Sombrio Roam pant,W/P 5 000mm / M/P 5 000mm
they seem quite comfortable therefore I'm considering.

ban
11-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Another vote for the RF Ambush pants, I've only a few rides with them but I love them. I`d love to see more colour options of that model for the coming seasons though!