PDA

View Full Version : What to do with '04 Shore?

morgman
11-11-2010, 11:31 PM
The most neglected bike in the stable, weighs 44ish pounds, and doesn't pedal up Fromme all that well. Over all it's still in good condition, needs the fork/shock serviced but everything else works great.

We're trying to decide its fate, since it was a nice bike in its day. Replace the easy stuff to lose some weight (2.7 Gazzalodis for one), rebuild the Super T/Van RC, and ride it? Or just pass it on? What would you do, NSMB?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3390/4632772054_4d42be529e_z.jpg

hurricanejoel
11-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Donate it to Big Brothers, then use your act of kindness as an excuse to spoil yourself with a fancy new bike.

three sheets
11-11-2010, 11:33 PM
what size is it?

morgman
11-11-2010, 11:42 PM
It's a small (http://web.archive.org/web/20040825000811/www.norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/vpsshore.htm). I've already spoiled myself with a new bike, which my girlfriend took for a ride down Ladies and a couple laps on Bobsled - and now she's itching to ride full suspension again. I don't blame her! But I don't know if the Shore is the right bike to resurrect for the purpose, other than its cost.

boomforeal
11-11-2010, 11:57 PM
burninate it

morgman
11-12-2010, 12:05 AM
My friend used to have a Trogdor hoodie. I was super jealz.

http://troglopundit.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/trogdor.png

Tom
11-12-2010, 01:35 AM
Do you have a boat?

Wetdog
11-12-2010, 02:36 AM
Strap a chute on your back at ride it off the Chief

old_school_n00b
11-12-2010, 03:45 AM
Keep it as a loaner sled for Jen! :D

The Saint bits definitely felt all nice and tight and clicky when I rode it, but if you were to keep them and part it out, you're not looking at much of a return on the frame and fork. There's gotta be some kind of comedy tallbike option up in hea.

Millstone
11-12-2010, 05:03 AM
The frame is solid, your lady is small. Keep it.

You can turn this bike in to a solid ripper. Dump the tires immediately for a 2.3ish AM tire.

A single crown (provided it clears the down tube) would be great right away. Find a shorter travel air shock. With this setup you drop the bb (drop the overall height of the bike as well) and drop some weight.

This bike as described would be a heavy AM bike but a good shore bike for a smaller rider (a girl). The early Fluids shared the same frame as this with different HT angles and BB heights. With the shock/fork combo you could achieve the same thing easily. Hell you could even buy some Fluid link plates.

ERregular
11-12-2010, 05:33 AM
^^^ This
Keep the bigger parts for when Whistler opens up again and have a backup/beater/loaner bike.

BareFootMeshback
11-12-2010, 05:41 AM
I would keep bit but not sink much money into it. Lighter tires and maybe a cheap set of juicys would be as far as I would go. Its heavy but the super t should work reasonably well and the suspension design is still current. The only truly annoying thing is the interrupted seat tube.

morgman
11-12-2010, 05:58 AM
I think that's what we're leaning toward: put a set of lighter tires on it, and take it for a ride. It doesn't make much sense to sell it for $300 when it is a running loaner bike. We put an absolute beginner on it last month (old_school_n00b's lady) and she had a blast riding some of the lower trails on Fromme in the pouring rain.

The bike stands to lose 3lb just in the tires. If we decide the fork needs to go, a Fox 36 weighs about 2lb less than the Super T. Beyond that, I'm sure other parts could be lightened up as well: bar, pedals, etc. Of course it will never be light, but it would be more manageable.

... and we're definitely going to need one of these.

http://bb.nsmb.com/picture.php?albumid=89&pictureid=1070

sleeper
11-12-2010, 06:03 AM
Well I'd give you 400 for it.

morgman
11-12-2010, 06:13 AM
Well I'd give you 400 for it.
Haha, good to know :)

The other easy mod I'm thinking about is dropping the rear to the 6" setting and lowering the fork a bit, which would maintain the 67 head angle but lower the bb.

Millstone
11-12-2010, 06:14 AM
A used air shock, a used fork like a Pike and some link plates ($80 NEW) would drop this bike down and make it less intimidating for new riders.

A few hundred bucks (If you have it) would get this bike rockin for a fresh (and perhaps smaller) rider who you have been eying to get in to the sport.

sleeper
11-12-2010, 06:30 AM
I actually always wanted an 04' NS Shore or Shore NS whatever it was.

morgman
11-12-2010, 06:38 AM
A used air shock, a used fork like a Pike and some link plates ($80 NEW) would drop this bike down and make it less intimidating for new riders.

A few hundred bucks (If you have it) would get this bike rockin for a fresh (and perhaps smaller) rider who you have been eying to get in to the sport.
How much are you suggesting to lower front/back? As I said above, 6" front/rear is doable for zero cost.

petepeterson
11-12-2010, 04:07 PM
sell it to a kid who wants to get into the sport who will love it.

Ducati
11-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Find someone that is: new to the sport, super keen, financially strapped and is currently riding a POS hard tail.

Give it to this person for Karma points.

You already have a new bike, and therefor don't need it
It's an 04 - you've undoubtedly got your money's worth out of it.
If you keep it, it will likely sit in your garage unused for all but 1 or 2 days per year.
By getting it out of your hands you pass any maintenance/upgrade costs to someone else.

We've done this with 3 bikes, and are still collecting free pints from it.

hypa
11-12-2010, 09:21 PM
^
I'm with ducati here. Typically I'll put an old bike together out of spare parts and give it to someone at the end of the year. Sometimes it ends up in their garage for years, other times, it takes them out to the hills with us. It's still a great bike. I'd find someone worthy.

Or.......

hammerschmidt or double ring + air fork and shock + lighter bits = a fun little freeride bike.

kperras
11-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Find someone that is: new to the sport, super keen, financially strapped and is currently riding a POS hard tail.

Give it to this person for Karma points.

You already have a new bike, and therefor don't need it
It's an 04 - you've undoubtedly got your money's worth out of it.
If you keep it, it will likely sit in your garage unused for all but 1 or 2 days per year.
By getting it out of your hands you pass any maintenance/upgrade costs to someone else.

We've done this with 3 bikes, and are still collecting free pints from it.

+1

morgman
11-13-2010, 01:02 AM
It's my girlfriend's old shuttle/lift bike, and she doesn't have a new full suspension - we rode hardtails together all summer. That's why we're considering a cheap refresh, as there's a bit of new bike day jealousy going on...

Millstone
11-14-2010, 04:44 AM
How much are you suggesting to lower front/back? As I said above, 6" front/rear is doable for zero cost.

Ah ya... I assumed this was an 8" (7.8 or whatever). Drop it out back and dump the 7" fork for something ~5.5". A 68 (+/- an eighth or whatever) degree HA is plenty slack for a rider who's going to walk the nasty stuff. Be a nicer bike to pedal when the climb gets a little hairy, too.

morgman
11-14-2010, 04:48 AM
Right on, yeah, was thinking we could mod the fork for now (like this (http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=15445&pagenum=1)) to approximate the new geometry, then consider a different fork later on.

Millstone
11-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Right on, yeah, was thinking we could mod the fork for now (like this (http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=15445&pagenum=1)) to approximate the new geometry, then consider a different fork later on.

If it is indeed a super t... This isn't gonna work. Your rebound spring is inside the damper. You can't extend it. Even if you got a rebound spring around the damper (too wide, if I remember correctly) it would just pass by the collar on the bottom of the stanchion tube.

Junior T = do-able.

Millstone
11-14-2010, 05:09 AM
I could be wrong, though... been a LONG time since I've worked on these.

Bryce
11-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Yes. Float R is a good budget option, plenty out there, reliable with good performance, light.

What would the new link plates do? Lower and slacken?

I can't see what wheels are on there but light wheels make a big difference. Single ply tires + AM wheelset

flattire
11-16-2010, 08:17 PM
are you really considering converting a ~12 lb freeride frame to a AM bike? :lol:

cant you just sell it?

morgman
11-16-2010, 08:31 PM
What would the new link plates do? Lower and slacken?

I can't see what wheels are on there but light wheels make a big difference. Single ply tires + AM wheelset
I think he thought this bike only had the longer travel, and afterward came to the conclusion that the 6" setting on this particular bike would be OK.

I'm quite sure it's got the stock wheels, which would be wide and heavy for sure.

are you really considering converting a ~12 lb freeride frame to a AM bike? :lol:

cant you just sell it?
No, it will primarily be a Fromme bike. As long as it can be pedalled up and give an enjoyable ride down, there's not much point in selling it right now. If that doesn't turn out, we will sell it.

DarylMac
11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Refreshing this bike won't alleviate any 'new bike envy' - at least not for very long. My thoughts are that a more natural change for this ride would be to make it more bike park specific... That way at least you aren't fighting the two biggest drawbacks of the frame (it's weight and interupted seate tube).

chubby5000
11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Sell it and buy a goat or cow for a poor family in Africa?

boomforeal
11-16-2010, 09:16 PM
No, it will primarily be a Fromme bike. As long as it can be pedalled up and give an enjoyable ride down, there's not much point in selling it right now. If that doesn't turn out, we will sell it.

fromme = am

flattire
11-16-2010, 10:37 PM
fromme = am

wat?

fromme is and will always be freeride. Only some parts of the lower trails can be considered AM. What are you smoking?

petepeterson
11-17-2010, 05:23 AM
fromme = am

boomforeal
11-17-2010, 06:06 AM
fromme is and will always be freeride.

maybe in 2004

flattire
11-17-2010, 08:54 PM
^yeah b/c the steepness of the mountain has changed since 04?. Not to mention the non stop roots, rocks, and techincal skill required to get down the mountian. Fromme also has some pretty hairy stunts. While you may be able to get up and down on (what is now considered AM bike with (6"+6"), at least in my mind, fromme is a freeride mtn. SFU is an AM category.

Rainmaker
11-17-2010, 09:12 PM
mmmmm ... definitions!

morgman
11-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Regardless of the definition, if the Shore can comfortably be pedalled up Fromme then it's doing its job. There is no doubt it will go back down the hill better than a 6" AM bike (we can define that, right?).

Project-Refresh will wait a couple weeks until my school semester is over. Thanks for the discussion.

boomforeal
11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
^yeah b/c the steepness of the mountain has changed since 04?

no; but frame, component and suspension design have

morgman
11-17-2010, 10:54 PM
no; but frame, component and suspension design have
That's right, so as of last week Fromme is now Slopestyle. Suck it, Trebek!