PDA

View Full Version : I want my baby back baby back baby back... ribs.

morgman
09-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Craving ribs. Where should I get them? Could be a restaurant, a meat shop, or...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nixR6wVa4HY

switch900
09-29-2010, 03:53 PM
Memphis Blues

/thread

Geologyboy
09-29-2010, 03:59 PM
Memphis Blues

/thread

Indeed. I took a BBQ class from them when they did their cookcook tour. Their rub is always at the front of my spice cabinet. Just absolutely makes the best prok chops when you don't have time to BBQ the right way.

[email protected]
09-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Wanting to make or buy ribs?
This thread is making me go to memphis blues tonight. My sodium intake thanks you all.

shorelocal
09-29-2010, 07:32 PM
I smoke my own with this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414B4QS54ML._SS400_.jpg

Much better than restaurant bought, but more time/work.

heckler
09-29-2010, 08:21 PM
yes please. I've got the Blues too.

If you want to make them - boil first, then broil in oven to sear, then put on bbq - put them on the cold side of the q, and turn the other side on low for 4 hours or so.

switch900
09-29-2010, 09:11 PM
awww. Heckler. Too much work. I met a guy from Kansas City that swore by this recipe.

Step One.
Get a trailer hitch mounted Turkey Deepfrier and 5 litres of Peanut oil and go to favorite sports teams parking lot.

Step Two
Insert Ribs in Step one and deep fry.

Of course this recipe just underlines the obesity epidemic in North America and the amount of sudden heart attacks at NFL games.

heckler's better 1/2
09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
heckler missed a step... after broiling (to seal in the juices), place in slow cooker to mariade for 5-6 hours on low. Then bbq :)

I call this "the way to man's heart ribs" so far I am batting a 100%

heckler
09-29-2010, 09:22 PM
oh yeah, I knew I was missing half a day of work there...

hypa
09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
place in slow cooker to mariade for 5-6 hours on low. Then bbq :)

Mmmmm, slow cooked.
The slow cooker is the ultimate cooking machine. I swear by that thing.

Geologyboy
09-29-2010, 09:35 PM
Ribs cooked cooked in a slow cooker or boiled can be good, but they ain't BBQ. I used to cook some that way when i lived in a apartment. My life chnaged when I learned to BBQ.

BBQ ribs are cooked at ~225F for at least five hours in a wood smoker or improvised smoker (read BBQ). Apple wood FTW. If it doesn't have a smoke ring, it isn't BBQ.

shorelocal
09-29-2010, 09:54 PM
Ribs cooked cooked in a slow cooker or boiled can be good, but they ain't BBQ. I used to cook some that way when i lived in a apartment. My life chnaged when I learned to BBQ.

BBQ ribs are cooked at ~225F for at least five hours in a wood smoker or improvised smoker (read BBQ). Apple wood FTW. If it doesn't have a smoke ring, it isn't BBQ.

Amen ... see previous post regarding Weber Rocky Mountain Smoker. Boiling loses all the meat flavour.

morgman
09-29-2010, 09:56 PM
It might have to be Memphis, I don't have a BBQ right now nor the motivation to cook all day. I should get some of that motivation, though. More ribs for my money. I saw them at the butcher today, but bought bacon instead, and will shortly be enjoying a massive bacon sandwich.

Geologyboy
09-29-2010, 11:08 PM
It might have to be Memphis, I don't have a BBQ right now nor the motivation to cook all day. I should get some of that motivation, though. More ribs for my money. I saw them at the butcher today, but bought bacon instead, and will shortly be enjoying a massive bacon sandwich.

BBq requires an odd combination of both motivation and a complete lack of motivation. You have to plan and prepare to spend your entire day sitting around drinking beer.

heckler's better 1/2
09-29-2010, 11:20 PM

Broil (no boil), the slow cooker, then BBQ for the win.

BBQ crips it all up nicely on the low dry heat, with little meat juice lossage. While bbq is working on the meat, reduce the slow cooker drippings (fat/spices/sugars) to a nice homemade bbq sauce on the stove. This sauce goes great on the side salad.

morgman
09-29-2010, 11:48 PM
BBq requires an odd combination of both motivation and a complete lack of motivation. You have to plan and prepare to spend your entire day sitting around drinking beer.
I guess that's what I'm saying. I know what it takes and I don't have it.

I do have the capability to take 30 minutes to cook 5 pieces of bacon, and damn was that a good sandwich!

heckler's better 1/2
09-29-2010, 11:55 PM
mmm bacon wrapped ribs.

aShogunNamedMarcus
09-30-2010, 12:24 AM

Oh the humanity..

wahmbulance!
09-30-2010, 01:42 AM
feel free to make fun of my lack of meat knowledge here.. but are ribs usually pork or beef?

sanrensho
09-30-2010, 01:54 AM
feel free to make fun of my lack of meat knowledge here.. but are ribs usually pork or beef?

Oink oink

Loopie
09-30-2010, 04:40 AM
but are ribs usually pork or beef?
The most common is pork...the awesomest ones are beef.

I needs me a smoker. Gonna make my own tho:cool:

Homemade dry rubs, mops and bbq sauces done lowwww and slowwww FTW. Works great for blade steaks too...which is also a tougher cut, but tons of flavour.

Loopie
09-30-2010, 04:44 AM
For you guys that boil or just want a dead simple way to get decent results, try this...

Braise, covered, in the bbq sauce for 3+hrs @ 250-300*
Finish by grilling or broiling just to carmalize the sauce.
:)

philly56
09-30-2010, 05:22 AM
I got myself a charcoal bbq and recently tried out some ribs, needed a drip tray underneath with some kind of liquid in it to keep them moist.
http://bb.nsmb.com/picture.php?albumid=270&pictureid=1026
Kept the coals off to the sides and installed a thermometer in the lid, tried to keep the temp around 225. They were awesome and went down great with some limited edition Innis and Gunn!
http://bb.nsmb.com/picture.php?albumid=270&pictureid=1027

Geologyboy
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
http://bb.nsmb.com/picture.php?albumid=270&pictureid=1027

If ever an image deserved rep...it's that one (and every pic in the boobie thread)

Bushman
10-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Philly do you use real charcoal or those briket fuel block thingies.

They only have real wood charcoal around here and its great.

PS....Heckler is a lucky man. Marinated with low heat(slow cooker) sounds like a great idea!

shorelocal
10-01-2010, 07:29 PM

PS....Heckler is a lucky man. Marinated with low heat(slow cooker) sounds like a great idea!

I have used the briquettes ... but I have a bag of real wood charcoal also (Crappy Tire was the source). From what I've read, the real wood charcoal burns hotter and faster than the briquettes, so you'd need to adjust your temp/cook time accordingly.

I'm still looking for a good local source for smoke wood. I have yet to try the BBQ Shop in PoCo so that'll be my next stop.

philly56
10-02-2010, 02:10 AM

I got 6 bags of Charwood from rona when it was on sale, had heard bad things about what they add to briquets to make them take shape.