PDA

View Full Version : Decide my life: Mac or PC?

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 06:47 PM
I am thinking of going with a Mac (never owned one before) after enjoying the iPhone.

What's the scoop? Do the NBR elders approve of such purchase? Or should I go with a PC (much cheaper)?

All I am looking for is a reliable laptop with good battery life. It doesn't need to be super powerful or anything like that, I may watch a movie once in a while on it but other than that it's just word/excel/email type use. Reliability is at the top of my list.

And if I were to go with a Mac, what's the best place to buy one? Apple store? Futureshop?

XXX_er
04-28-2010, 06:54 PM
did you search for existing threads on the subject?

enduramil
04-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Pc

rewoga
04-28-2010, 06:58 PM
mac

mr_fungle
04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Refurbished Mac (http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=OTY2ODE5Mw)

comoxclan101
04-28-2010, 07:00 PM
with its just email, word and shit, why not get a 400 bucker netbook

enduramil
04-28-2010, 07:04 PM
mac

Of course the engineer loves a Mac.

Rainmaker
04-28-2010, 07:05 PM

was that sarcastic?

rewoga
04-28-2010, 07:05 PM

actually just wanted to diasgree with you...

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 07:06 PM
with its just email, word and shit, why not get a 400 bucker netbook

I was looking at those, they seem a bit too small to type fast. Also, the screen is tiny :(.

Rainmaker
04-28-2010, 07:07 PM
i vote mac.

XXX_er
04-28-2010, 07:16 PM
I was looking at those, they seem a bit too small to type fast. Also, the screen is tiny :(.

I borrowed one of and on for most of feb , I found the screen size & having to scroll thru the page to view stuff that would normaly be seen on a monitor or LT annoying ...I wouldnt want to use one INSTEAD of my DT or an LT

Schaefdog
04-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Hello my name is Schaef and I am a mac.

Find one on Craigslist that is still covered under applecare warranty (this is the best route as the warranty is fully transferrable, and you can purchase an extra year if you do so before the warranty runs out)

This is what I have done the last 2 Mac's i have owned. Works great.

Couch_Surfer
04-28-2010, 07:29 PM
I don't know how you guys can even debate this.

Given Joe's general level of pomposity, a Mac is the only logical conclusion. He's their target freaking market.

Rainmaker
04-28-2010, 07:32 PM
or maybe one of those panasonic toughbook thingers that are made out of krypotonite?

Bowen
04-28-2010, 07:32 PM
buy an atari

jitenshakun
04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
If you're doing any data and stats work go with a PC. I've "raced" a PC and a Mac with the same specifications, program and dataset and the PC slayed the Mac.

If you aren't working with data and stats then go Mac with Apple Care. Extended warranty on Mac is a really, really good idea. Don't go with 3rd party extended warranty either; its gotta be Apple.

dawnchairy
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
A PC lets you fiddle with your computer more than a Mac does. Mac's make things pretty idiot-proof, but I find that they hide a lot of options that PC's give you when managing photos, videos and your computer in general. There are probably ways to do these things on a Mac, but as a casual user I find the PC more flexible. Macs have a lot of great programs that are fun and easy to use like iMovie and GarageBand. These aren't top of the line software, but you can do a lot of fun things with them. I haven't been as impressed with MovieMaker on the PC.

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 07:41 PM

Given Joe's general level of pomposity, a Mac is the only logical conclusion. He's their target freaking market.

:hurt:

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 07:42 PM
If you're doing any data and stats work go with a PC. I've "raced" a PC and a Mac with the same specifications, program and dataset and the PC slayed the Mac.

If you aren't working with data and stats then go Mac with Apple Care. Extended warranty on Mac is a really, really good idea. Don't go with 3rd party extended warranty either; its gotta be Apple.

I was hoping to run Windows 7 on a Mac, would that make a difference? I do need to use some PC software on the laptop...

Schaefdog
04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
I have used boot camp a few times (runs windows on mac)

Seems to run better than a PC would.

My opinion is quite biased though.

comoxclan101
04-28-2010, 07:48 PM
i guess with a mac you could hang out at book stores and shit

Rainmaker
04-28-2010, 07:50 PM
i guess with a mac you could hang out at starbucks and talk to chicks about the novel/screenplay youre writing

FYP

jpi
04-28-2010, 07:52 PM
Mac, by far a superior OS.

Of course...bootcamp a Windows install as well so you can rock some games ;)

Best of both worlds.^^

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
FYP

OK, I have to ask (thus derailing my own damn thread):
What is wrong with hanging out at Starbucks and/or bookstores?

Bowen
04-28-2010, 07:57 PM
FYP

mines about a kid from a small island town that becomes so obsessed with cats he actually starts to breed super-human-kitty-soldiers but in the end it turns out to just be the dreams of a deranged towel boy

XXX_er
04-28-2010, 08:00 PM

Find one on Craigslist that is still covered under applecare warranty (this is the best route as the warranty is fully transferrable, and you can purchase an extra year if you do so before the warranty runs out)

I got a friend who writes accounting software so buddy is probably a power user ,he buys his macs loaded to the nuts and sells them off after 2 yrs while they still have some good value ... claims its the most cost effective way to buy

comoxclan101
04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
OK, I have to ask (thus derailing my own damn thread):
What is wrong with hanging out at Starbucks and/or bookstores?

you look like a douche

comoxclan101
04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
mines about a kid from a small island town that becomes so obsessed with cats he actually starts to breed super-human-kitty-soldiers but in the end it turns out to just be the dreams of a deranged towel boy

whose the towel boy im confused

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
you look like a douche

Is it because I read books? Or drink coffee?

Rigaud
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
Mac hands down.

Had mine for over a year now and I don't know why I didn't make this move sooner. No crashes or that famous blue screen. LOL But if your a gamer then forget it you'll need a PC. Otherwise with a dual core on a Mac you just install OSX on one and Windows 7 on the other but make certain you still run an anti virus scan for the Windows 7. ;)

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Mac hands down.

Had mine for over a year now and I don't know why I didn't make this move sooner. No crashes or that famous blue screen. LOL But if your a gamer then forget it you'll need a PC. Otherwise with a dual core on a Mac you just install OSX on one and Windows 7 on the other but make certain you still run an anti virus scan for the Windows 7. ;)

Awesome. I am not a gamer, but I need Windows for some work software :(. It seems that Mac may just be worth the extra $$.

Rainmaker
04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Personally I feel now that Mac's can run the Windows OS easily, I dont think theres any question that the Mac is a superior product (for many many users, not all, yet). The only reason i didnt buy one the last time around was $$$.

Rigaud
04-28-2010, 08:24 PM
Awesome. I am not a gamer, but I need Windows for some work software :(. It seems that Mac may just be worth the extra $$.
I found it to be well worth the extra money and with every PC I had their was money to be spent along the way but so far nothing with the Mac.

rewoga
04-28-2010, 09:23 PM

whose the towel boy im confused

he has poopy shorts and leases cars which means he can't afford tickets to Blackhawks games...but it's OK, his brother went to the game...

the flying moose
04-28-2010, 09:32 PM
he has poopy shorts and leases cars which means he can't afford tickets to Blackhawks games...but it's OK, his brother went to the game...

His brother only went to the game because the DH race he was originally supposed to watch never happened.

Norman
04-28-2010, 09:33 PM
FYI, battery life on a macbook pro with windows 7 is about 3 hrs. You won't touch the 7 hrs that they claim.

rewoga
04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
His brother only went to the game because the DH race he was originally supposed to watch never happened.

:lol:

eventually...

Joe Kickass
04-28-2010, 09:35 PM
FYI, battery life on a macbook pro with windows 7 is about 3 hrs. You won't touch the 7 hrs that they claim.

Well that's lame, thanks for pointing this out.

JdanS
04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
can't you just tape two iPads together?

For a laptop I get Mac, for desktop (Games) I build my own (PC).

NeRo
04-29-2010, 01:32 AM
Mac hands down.

You are the prefect mac user... you don't install operating systems on your processor. Every computer can run at least two operating systems...

Right now I have a custom built desktop computer with 7 on it. I don't own a laptop but would probably be getting one soonish. I would get a mac (and install windows on it to run engineering programs...) if I had bucketloads of money because the case is really nice. The rest of the computer is the exact same as any other non mac computer that is half the price... especially with the new i5/i7 refresh. The operating systems really are the same, each has its advantages and disadvantages.

So in other words if you have the money to spend... get a mac. Otherwise get a computer that does the same stuff but doesn't look as nice doing it.

Rigaud
04-29-2010, 01:44 AM
You are the prefect mac user... you don't install operating systems on your processor. Every computer can run at least two operating systems...

Yep your right, didn't explain myself properly.

BareFootMeshback
04-29-2010, 01:49 AM
I think it is kind of a toss up. The hardware is similar, macs generally have nicer cases and overall look but PC really are a fair bit cheaper and come in more configurations. OS X was definately superior to Vista but Win 7 really in my mind closes the gap for the average user. I was going to buy a Mac a year ago (parents and sis both have them, as does mother in law and other family members) but after using widows 7 I wasn't convinced OSX was worth the extra $$$. That and I really don't think they are that much more durable than your average PC if any.

tFly
04-29-2010, 02:02 AM
mac ftw

enduramil
04-29-2010, 02:35 AM

That explains why everyone with a Macbook I see is perenially looking for a power point.

tFly
04-29-2010, 02:46 AM
:rolleyes:That explains why everyone with a Mabook I see is perenially looking for a power point.

:rolleyes:

Rigaud
04-29-2010, 03:05 AM
If someone needs to be on battery longer then 3 hrs you need to get a life. LOL

tFly
04-29-2010, 03:10 AM

:orly:

School? Work? Travel?

james
04-29-2010, 03:14 AM
Mac

You're welcome!

0_o
04-29-2010, 03:15 AM
Mac hands down.

pebkac.

Adam West
04-29-2010, 03:18 AM
id like battery to last long so i can take it to the bedroom and watch top gear while i pass out

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 03:21 AM

I don't think the word "need" is the right on here. Want is much more appropriate. This way I wouldn't need to drag my cord everywhere I go.

comoxclan101
04-29-2010, 03:23 AM
id like battery to last long so i can take it to the bedroom and watch top gear while i pass out

i like my last thoughts to be about 3 middle aged british guys too

Adam West
04-29-2010, 03:25 AM
way better than sex.

three sheets
04-29-2010, 04:50 AM
or maybe one of those panasonic toughbook thingers that are made out of krypotonite?

Ive gone through 2 toughbooks this year....they're not so tough after all

white ri0t
04-29-2010, 05:09 AM
http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/photoshop/3/3/4/22334.jpg?v=1

white ri0t
04-29-2010, 06:24 AM
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ricardo/misc/iProduct.gif

enduramil
04-29-2010, 06:29 AM
I don't think the word "need" is the right on here. Want is much more appropriate. This way I wouldn't need to drag my cord everywhere I go.

Nothing more entertaining then watching a student in a panic looking for a power source before their major paper is due.

enduramil
04-29-2010, 06:30 AM
Ive gone through 2 toughbooks this year....they're not so tough after all

I firmly believe that all lap tops should have final testing done by 2 year olds. Fuck are they destructive to lap tops.

kperras
04-29-2010, 06:39 AM
Mac + iPhone points:

Tethering: You can use your laptop to surf while using your phone via bluetooth for interwebs signal
Sync: Contacts, emails, notes, etc. Everything is synced and you don't need to set anything up or install anything programs.

Mac Points:

If you don't want to fuck around with tweaking this and tweaking that, antivirus this or buggy software that, then get a damn mac. You can do much more with PCs, but you need to nerd out a bunch to figure it out.

El_Franco
04-29-2010, 06:43 AM
This always seems so dumb to me. I use multiple different machines for my work, and whether it's Windows, Mac, Linux, or something else, they're all basically the same. Choose it for what you're going to use it for. These things all go obsolete faster than a mountain biker flashing children on McNair, so today's trendy gadget is tomorrow's landfill anyway. The "Wow it's so cool" new-gadget period lasts for about an hour, maybe less.

If you need to run Windows applications for work, then buy a PC. Why blow extra $$ for a dainty white Mac when you're just going to run Windows7 on it anyway?

If you need to run Final Cut Pro, buy a Mac.

Think about what you need the machine to do, then buy that. Anything beyond that is just putting more of your money into other people's pockets.

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 07:00 AM
I change computers about every two years, the last 4 were all PCs and only one Toshiba was without issues. That laptop lasted four years and still was working, but was just too outdated. Since then all PCs I've had were crap.

I really want a quality product, reliability is at the top of my list. Windows is a must, normal laptop sized keyboard and good battery life are also important.

Funnily enough I am not a fan of how macs look, but I don't care about it's look as long as it does what I need.

Damn, why is it so hard?

bokinator
04-29-2010, 07:02 AM
get an Acer Timeline.

Seriously.. mac laptops are nothing special, other than looks, with a heavy price tag.

you're better off buying something at a slightly lower price so you can upgrade more often in the near future. There's no such thing as a laptop that will "last" you 3-4 years anymore with the accelerating rate of technology today.

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 07:03 AM
If not Mac, what brand of PC is considered best quality? The one I have now is HP and it sucks balls harder than an east Hastings hooker, never will I get an HP again.

Usul
04-29-2010, 07:05 AM
I'm not even going to bother reading this thread. I use both PC and Mac everyday. I was initially skeptical about Mac but I've been a convert since 2004. No complaints.

bokinator
04-29-2010, 07:09 AM
If not Mac, what brand of PC is considered best quality? The one I have now is HP and it sucks balls harder than an east Hastings hooker, never will I get an HP again.

Lenovo T series and Asus make pretty good quality laptops.

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 07:12 AM
I am ok with the fact that computers don't last 4 years. And I am ok with paying for replacement every two years. What I hate is having to deal with warranty and such. In the last year I've had HD die on my laptop, motherboard was replaced and some shit piece of plastic hook that holds battery cracked and the whole case had to be replaced. The computer is only a year old but I hate it and am willing to dish out $$$ as long as quality is there.
And I was told that macs were great quality.

Islandrider
04-29-2010, 07:41 AM
get an Acer Timeline.

Seriously.. mac laptops are nothing special, other than looks, with a heavy price tag.

you're better off buying something at a slightly lower price so you can upgrade more often in the near future. There's no such thing as a laptop that will "last" you 3-4 years anymore with the accelerating rate of technology today.

I disagree, I've had my macbook for 4 years and the only thing I've done is upgrade the os to snow leopard from tiger (which costed like 30 bucks) and add more ram. it still runs like new no problems! macs last way longer than pcs from my experience.

bokinator
04-29-2010, 07:46 AM
Yes, actually I'll also admit I was a little biased. Though not on my own, but from other people's experience, their quality is quite alright.

Usul
04-29-2010, 08:03 AM
Yeah four-six years is no problem for a mac. I'm sure some PCs will go the distance too, but definitely not all.

stew44
04-29-2010, 08:07 AM

I agree. If it was a desktop then I would say PC 100% but for a laptop I would go mac.

HIBuLlitT
04-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Nothing more entertaining then watching a student in a panic looking for a power source before their major paper is due.

Funny. There were two macbooks in my last class one new and one two years old.
There were 4-5 pc laptops in my class..at least two toshibas, and I think a acer.
Anyway, the two macs could get almost all day without plugging in while not one
pc lasted till lunch, and at least one of the Toshibas was less than a month old.

My wife has my pc, I bought a mac two+ years ago, and bought a macbook last
year. For me the best thing about using the mac is the keyboard shortcuts:
cmd+W = close window
cmd+Q = quite program
F9 = show all windows (tile)
F11 = hide all windows/bring them back
F12 = dashboard (love the dashboard)

For the laptop:
two finger zoom
two finger scroll
two finger rotate

Anyway, for me it's just quicker to do most things. I don't drink coffee, don't
have a beard, I love meat, hate hippies, use MS office (it's the same on either)
and I have only seen the pinwheel once.

I'd say get what you have programs for and what you have the money to get.

stew44
04-29-2010, 08:16 AM
I love meat..

o rly?

josimar
04-29-2010, 08:18 AM
I've had my macbook pro for 4 years now. I've ran windows from bootcamp and also virtualized it using parallels. I've run the latest version of Solidworks for some school stuff every year and it handled it well for my not too extensive uses (thats why I needed windows). On the OSX side of things, I mostly do photo editing and its been great for that. Overall, it has worked well, but like all computers they have faults.

Problems: It still crashes, but much much less than my previous experience with PCs. At the start of the 4th year, the display died and cost $250 to get repaired. It was cheaper than the cost of AppleCare and it wouldn't have even been covered because it would have been a few weeks outside of that warranty. Now its starting to feel a little slow while multi-tasking. Its been the best computer investment I have made so far. I plan to get a new one before I start school again. I think this one will be a good backup computer and will likely still function for a few more years, but its getting to be not so useful for demanding software.

The aluminum body really makes the MBPs feel very solid.

My PC laptop died completely at the 1 year mark. However, I know people that had really good experiences with Toshibas.

HIBuLlitT
04-29-2010, 08:42 AM
o rly?

LOL!

Bazinga!

Josimar did you try the leopard cache cleaner utility? I think I got it off the
apple site. I find if I don't do a shut down every couple weeks it gets a little
slow, but once I restart it's back to good.

NeRo
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/17/2010/04/500x_squaretrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf__page _6_of_8_.jpg

Top 5 look all about the same. There is of course there is huge fluxuation between different lines that each company puts out.

switch
04-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Mac + iPhone points:

Tethering: You can use your laptop to surf while using your phone via bluetooth for interwebs signal
Sync: Contacts, emails, notes, etc. Everything is synced and you don't need to set anything up or install anything programs.Think you can do these things on a PC?

Get a Mac laptop and jailbreak it.

LOL at the dual processor comment.

XXX_er
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
This always seems so dumb to me. I use multiple different machines for my work, and whether it's Windows, Mac, Linux, or something else, they're all basically the same. Choose it for what you're going to use it for. These things all go obsolete faster than a mountain biker flashing children on McNair, so today's trendy gadget is tomorrow's landfill anyway. The "Wow it's so cool" new-gadget period lasts for about an hour, maybe less.

If you need to run Windows applications for work, then buy a PC. Why blow extra $$ for a dainty white Mac when you're just going to run Windows7 on it anyway?

If you need to run Final Cut Pro, buy a Mac.

Think about what you need the machine to do, then buy that. Anything beyond that is just putting more of your money into other people's pockets.

WOW thats how large corporations buy computers !

do you think it would work for Joe average ?

as opposed to how Joe currently chooses a computer...buy the shinny one

get something to run what you need ,get service coverage for that period,after 3yrs ...consider it an expensive doorstop

Couch_Surfer
04-29-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't get the "I buy a laptop every two years". I've got a laptop that's been chugging steadily for well over 5 years now. It's not very shiny, but it still surfs the web, runs excel, runs word.

Unless you're gaming or doing something else that requires keeping up your gfx and processing power (in which case - get a desktop), just run what works until it dies.... and then if it's a software failure (OS), format the drive and get a vanilla OS install on it.

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
I don't get the "I buy a laptop every two years". I've got a laptop that's been chugging steadily for well over 5 years now. It's not very shiny, but it still surfs the web, runs excel, runs word.

Unless you're gaming or doing something else that requires keeping up your gfx and processing power (in which case - get a desktop), just run what works until it dies.... and then if it's a software failure (OS), format the drive and get a vanilla OS install on it.

How is the battery life on your old laptop? How is Windows 7 running? How is tethering through bluetooth working for you? Do you enjoy that lighting speed boot up? How about the speed of opening and closing excel and a bunch of other programs?

Technology progresses and if I choose to upgrade more often than you, so be it. Right? ;)

HIBuLlitT
04-29-2010, 07:08 PM

I agree, for 99% of the population, a machine running win95 would be ok. LOL

I know people that have comps that are well over 5 years old (macs and pcs).

Couch_Surfer
04-29-2010, 07:09 PM
How is the battery life on your old laptop? How is Windows 7 running? How is tethering through bluetooth working for you? Do you enjoy that lighting speed boot up? How about the speed of opening and closing excel and a bunch of other programs?

Technology progresses and if I choose to upgrade more often than you, so be it. Right? ;)

Battery life: Works just fine. And worst case scenario, I buy a hundred dollar battery, not a 2000 dollar Mac.

Windows 7: It's very shiny, and completely unnecessary. I already said that it's a 5 year old XP laptop.

Tethering through bluetooth: Don't care. Seriously - what's the need for this, laptop connects to wi-fi. No wi-fi around... nothing is that important that it can't wait 30 minutes.

Boot up time: It's pretty quick. Learn to install an OS and learn to keep your computer free of clutter and gunk that slows it down.

Speed to open up Excel: Works just fine.

Me: I just don't get it, computers are tools for. I'll upgrade when it is required (hardware failure, specific need for processing or gfx upgrade).

But you sound like you need to justify a shiny toy every two years. Great, go ahead we need consumers to drive the economy ahead.

HIBuLlitT
04-29-2010, 07:10 PM
But you sound like you need to justify a shiny toy every two years. Great, go ahead China and India need consumers to drive the economy ahead.

fyp

Couch_Surfer
04-29-2010, 07:15 PM
I agree, for 99% of the population, a machine running win95 would be ok. LOL

I know people that have comps that are well over 5 years old (macs and pcs).

It's driven by marketing. And as part of the software industry, I say great. We need people convincing themselves that they can't live without Windows 7 or the latest Mac.

But the reality is that for the vast majority of computer users, it's a want not a need issue.

Schaefdog
04-29-2010, 07:24 PM
I am going to throw it out there again.

Craigslist + applecare = win

Depending on the computer (macbook pro for example around $1000) You can save over half. I buy a LOT of things on the list.

XXX_er
04-29-2010, 07:26 PM

3 yrs is the time over which a business can write down an LT SO in the business world chances are you will be issued a new LT every 3 yrs ...I think thats about how long they design an LT to last

Everyone of the 5 IBM LT's I used an average of 50hrs a week ,opened/closed/moved 8 times a day ,were in sad shape by 3 yrs ... keyboards sticking,shitty screen quality ,failing hinges, failing ribbon cable in the hinge (screen dies when you move it ),I had 2 of the 5 kack while data was being transfered from the old to the new LT

The 3 or 4 times my LT kacked completely even tho I was the HW guy responsible ,I called IT in toronto ... new LT by puro air (minus memeory & HD) in <24hrs

LT's are a shitty pile of plastic all of which goes crack if you don't know exactly what to take apart 1st SO unless you are in a depot doing a lot of them they suck to work on ...an LT is a depot repair item

considering what an LT costs now days vs paying for service ,if you don't have a service contract ...when they break they are a doorstop

WHEREAS if you got a DT its really easy to just plug in a new kybd or another screen which are the most likely things to screw up,

hell I just took my 5 yr old DT apart to lube the noisy PS fan,an easy thing to do which I have done doz of times with old technology ... no way that would happen with an LT

win 95 was unstable shit that needed a re-boot twice a day , win 97 much better , winXP pretty good ...I don't need anymore than XP

comoxclan101
04-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I am going to throw it out there again.

Craigslist + applecare = win

Depending on the computer (macbook pro for example around $1000) You can save over half. I buy a LOT of things on the list.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/cgi-bin/personals.cgi?category=m4m ???

Schaefdog
04-29-2010, 07:32 PM
Too expensive.

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 07:34 PM
But the reality is that for the vast majority of computer users, it's a want not a need issue.

:lol: If I ever implied that my life would end and I absolutely need a new computer, I apologize for misleading you. I WANT a new computer because I am pissed off at the complete lack of reliability of my 1 year old HP piece of junk laptop.

So, where were we?

Couch_Surfer
04-29-2010, 07:45 PM
:lol: If I ever implied that my life would end and I absolutely need a new computer, I apologize for misleading you. I WANT a new computer because I am pissed off at the complete lack of reliability of my 1 year old HP piece of junk laptop.

So, where were we?

Posts like these return me to my original thought that you would be well served by a Mac. It will only help you in your eternal quest to talk down at people.

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 07:48 PM

But you sound like you need to justify a shiny toy every two years. Great, go ahead we need consumers to drive the economy ahead.

Posts like these return me to my original thought that you would be well served by a Mac. It will only help you in your eternal quest to talk down at people.

I feel like it is actually you, who is talking down on people. What do you care how I spend MY money? Or how often I replace my computer.

First you call me pompous in this thread, then you judge my choices, then you dare say that it is I who talks down on people. Couch, look in the mirror.

josimar
04-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Josimar did you try the leopard cache cleaner utility? I think I got it off the
apple site. I find if I don't do a shut down every couple weeks it gets a little
slow, but once I restart it's back to good.

I'm still on Tiger, but I got the equivalent cleaner and it seems to be running a bit more efficiently. I've always been in the habit of shutting down while I sleep to consume less energy, but I'm wondering if there are any benefits to doing it less often?

kalisto
04-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Everyday computer runs osX

Programming/DVD ripping/other stuff computer runs windows 7

Depends what you want to do. Figure it out, then get back to us. You're basically paying a whole bunch extra for a better operating system (though windows 7 is pretty solid)...

Usul
04-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm wondering if there are any benefits to doing it less often?

No. Shut down your computer regularily. Less where an tear on the fans and OS X is meant to perform maintenance and cleanup functions during shutdown and restart.

Norman
04-29-2010, 09:15 PM
My wife has my pc, I bought a mac two+ years ago, and bought a macbook last
year. For me the best thing about using the mac is the keyboard shortcuts:
cmd+W = close window
cmd+Q = quite program
F9 = show all windows (tile)
F11 = hide all windows/bring them back
F12 = dashboard (love the dashboard)

For the laptop:
two finger zoom
two finger scroll
two finger rotate

So you're saying that windows doesn't have shortcuts?

HIBuLlitT
04-29-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm still on Tiger, but I got the equivalent cleaner and it seems to be running a bit more efficiently. I've always been in the habit of shutting down while I sleep to consume less energy, but I'm wondering if there are any benefits to doing it less often?

I put it to sleep most the time because it's nice to have instant start-up. I couldn't
do that with my xp system (or my wifes xp system) because it would act funny after
a couple days. Other than that, no benefit.

So you're saying that windows doesn't have shortcuts?

I didn't say the windows doesn't have shortcuts, I used many of them. You can
also go through the extra trouble to set up your own shortcuts. I'm saying that
for a DT the SC's are easy and right there...F9, bang I can see every window
simultaneous...F11, bang all the windows are hidden and I can see and access
anything on my desktop.

As far as LT's are concerned, the mac touchpad is set up perfectly. I don't need
to click/drag anything, just use two fingers and up/down happens. I have a photo
I want bigger...two fingers spread and bang...my aunt sends me a image that
was sideways or upside down, two finger twist and I rotated...(think of the porn
implications).

I don't hate pc, I just think that apple has a gui that fits what I want to do w/ a
computer.

aShogunNamedMarcus
04-29-2010, 11:36 PM

So, where were we?

Well then, perhaps you should never buy an HP product again and consider what other have already told you: Figure out what you want and buy accordingly.

On the unrelated note of a DT's longevity, I had one die out late last year that I bought in 99. I dont game but it ran what it needed to under W2K no less...

aShogunNamedMarcus
04-29-2010, 11:38 PM
And if I were to go with a Mac, what's the best place to buy one? Apple store? Futureshop?

And on this note, stay the fuck away from FS/BB for full computer or laptop builds. I assume this is where you bought you POS HP - dont make the same mistake twice. Try a local computer store.

Joe Kickass
04-29-2010, 11:40 PM
And on this note, stay the fuck away from FS/BB for full computer or laptop builds. I assume this is where you bought you POS HP - dont make the same mistake twice. Try a local computer store.

All computers I ever owned came from stores like Futureshop...

Rainmaker
04-30-2010, 12:13 AM
All computers I ever owned came from stores like Futureshop...

well sh*t. must be a good place to buy them then. are you spawnsered?

switch
04-30-2010, 12:16 AM

Then stop screwing around and get a high end Dell Precision with an i7 and SSD.

HIBuLlitT
04-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Then stop screwing around and get a high end Dell Precision with an i7 and SSD.

What's that about $4000 US? I could never get a "cheap" computer at Dell. Every time
I bought on line I ended up spending $3500++. It's just too easy to say 'yes" and
upgrade this and that (hey, what's another $200 for a bigger screen, and if I'm going
to drop $200 more for more ram, I might as well and get the most for another $500
and on, and on...)

While I've had some issues with my Dells over the years, they were always fixed
pretty quick (but that was in the states, not sure about service here).

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 05:01 PM
well sh*t. must be a good place to buy them then. are you spawnsered?

- The price difference between say BestBuy and some small shop isn't that big if any. A few years ago I tried shopping around and it just didn't seem worth it. For me to spend 3-4 hours in research on getting the best price... well, I'd rather work an extra hour or two and make up the difference.

- The selection is great, all out on display. I can just come and pick what I like. And say I rushed, didn't do my homework and got a computer that doesn't quite do what I want, I can come back and exchange it with no headache or worry.

So, the convenience seems to be worth it.

As far as quality goes, well if the brand and model are the same, what difference could it possibly make if I got it from a smaller store?

Norman
04-30-2010, 08:10 PM
- The price difference between say BestBuy and some small shop isn't that big if any. A few years ago I tried shopping around and it just didn't seem worth it. For me to spend 3-4 hours in research on getting the best price... well, I'd rather work an extra hour or two and make up the difference.

- The selection is great, all out on display. I can just come and pick what I like. And say I rushed, didn't do my homework and got a computer that doesn't quite do what I want, I can come back and exchange it with no headache or worry.

So, the convenience seems to be worth it.

As far as quality goes, well if the brand and model are the same, what difference could it possibly make if I got it from a smaller store?

Smaller shops carry business lines which are more better. As with everything in life, you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheapass consumer line laptops, well, then you're going to experience the problems that you do.

If this is a work computer, then shell out for the reliability.

Usul
04-30-2010, 08:17 PM
One of the reasons I like Apple is no matter where you buy, it'll be the same price.

HIBuLlitT
04-30-2010, 08:27 PM
One of the reasons I like Apple is no matter where you buy, it'll be the same price.

There is something to be said about the company that developed the o/s also controls
the hardware. No compatibility issues, you pay more, but it works better IMO.

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Smaller shops carry business lines which are more better. As with everything in life, you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheapass consumer line laptops, well, then you're going to experience the problems that you do.

If this is a work computer, then shell out for the reliability.

True words, the Toshiba that lasted me the longest cost me the most.

What brand/model would you recommend?

Norman
04-30-2010, 09:02 PM
True words, the Toshiba that lasted me the longest cost me the most.

What brand/model would you recommend?

A mac of course.

XXX_er
04-30-2010, 09:14 PM
There is something to be said about the company that developed the o/s also controls
the hardware. No compatibility issues, you pay more, but it works better IMO.

YEah IBM really got their cock stuck in their zipper on the PC

Imagine the world if they had NOT left the architecture open on the PC ,if they had bought some other op system instead of MS

0_o
04-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Mac + iPhone points:

Sync: Contacts, emails, notes, etc. Everything is synced and you don't need to set anything up or install anything programs.

Mac Points:

If you don't want to fuck around with tweaking this and tweaking that, antivirus this or buggy software that, then get a damn mac. You can do much more with PCs, but you need to nerd out a bunch to figure it out.

you mean it actually takes intelligence to use a computer?

heaven forbid learning to use a tool before picking it up!

XXX_er
04-30-2010, 09:29 PM
uh , I fixed a ton of them without having a clue how to use them or even how to type ... leaving myself wide open on this post

HIBuLlitT
04-30-2010, 09:38 PM
YEah IBM really got their cock stuck in their zipper on the PC

Imagine the world if they had NOT left the architecture open on the PC ,if they had bought some other op system instead of MS

Funny you brought that up. If my memory serves me correctly, Dell and IBM were
the only two companies that were allowed by MS to change the win o/s. At that time
they were the only two companies making computers that were pretty stable.

I'm not sure how MS has addressed that in the past 10 years, but I know for a while
there they were the two most reliable comps being made.

I'm not saying that there wasn't some really good comps being made because
people could change the mechanics of it all, while they may have been the fastest
bleeding edge, they in most cases they were far from reliable.

XXX_er
04-30-2010, 09:56 PM
If IBM hadnt left the door open with the original PC in early 80's the world would be a vastly different place where everything IT related ... tv's /phones/computers/would be very differnt

They say the machine before the original PC was the displaywriter ... a word processer

back then IBM owned so much of the IT business that the only competition was their internal divisons competing against each other ,a good example would be the trackpoint thingy for your mouse ... I heard it spent 3 yrs unreleased while they decided which division would get it

Another EG:we would probably not be hanging out wasting time on NSMB talking to one another

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 10:00 PM
A mac of course.

Are you using a mac?

HIBuLlitT: Dell has never been a reliable computer. At my old job we had all Dell's, they broke so often that the service guy knew us by name.

HIBuLlitT
04-30-2010, 10:11 PM
Are you using a mac?

HIBuLlitT: Dell has never been a reliable computer. At my old job we had all Dell's, they broke so often that the service guy knew us by name.

When was that? For about 5 years after they came on to the scene they were very
reliable. Maybe they sent the shitty ones to Canada? Everyone at my old job had
a dell, and we had 5 dells in the office. The only issue we EVER had was when a
Gecko crossed two leads in the PS and fried both the PS and of course BBQ gecko. We ran those comps for several years until we got two HPs and they sucked
as. That was when we got to know our local repair guy. We bought a couple more Dells and had "some" issues but not as many as with the HPs. They've
since changed, but I don't know to what. I've heard dells CC has gotten much
better over the last couple years, so maybe their back?

A friend of mine has a ad company. Almost every comp is a Apple. The only pcs
they have is to ensure websites they're designing work on them. All of their
servers are Apple servers. He is very happy with his equipment and has been
for many years.

Seriously though, I'd say get the computer that you have the software for. If you
have the latest PS, office and other software for a PC get a PC. Ive spent way more
$$ in software than in my hardware.

XXX_er
04-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I disagree ,dells work fine ,dell contracted work to IBm and I worked on lots of them

I would have no problem buying a dell online ,there are 3 of them in this house ...2 LT's and an 8yr ld tower used as a print server

I will let you in on a secret ... everything breaks

Couch_Surfer
04-30-2010, 10:14 PM
I thought we already covered the 'sample size of 1' debate a couple years ago.

connor
04-30-2010, 10:30 PM
my whole company uses Dell. 30,000+ computers. They're all XP so still work.

Knnn
04-30-2010, 10:31 PM

I disagree ,dells work fine ,dell contracted work to IBm and I worked on lots of them

I would have no problem buying a dell online ,there are 3 of them in this house ...2 LT's and an 8yr ld tower used as a print server I will let you in on a secret ... everything breaks

I purchased a Dell XPS M1330 (13inch) laptop 16 months ago. came with vista, uninstalled the firewall/AV package when it expired after 12 months and that is all I have done with it. It pretty much stays switched on 24/7, the kids use it for internet games and WoW and I have not seen one BSOD or odd shut down.

It's still fast and I play movies to my Big Screen through its HDMI output. All in all a great reliable little machine.

Sure I'm a sample size of one for the laptop, but I also purchased 5 desktops, two printers and a projector for my business (all Dell) in January 2004 and all of them are still running and not one service call (damn need to touch wood now).

But and there is always a but, YMMV and shit happens.

Hope that helps.

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 10:36 PM
At my old job we have about 30 to 35 Dell's (each employee) and the service guy was in every second week. That was 2004-2005 and based on that I figured they were just big pieces of junk with great warranty...

Knnn
04-30-2010, 10:40 PM
At my old job we have about 30 to 35 Dell's (each employee) and the service guy was in every second week. That was 2004-2005 and based on that I figured they were just big pieces of junk with great warranty...

Hardware related issues or PEBKAC?

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 10:43 PM
Hardware related issues or PEBKAC?

On my computer the CD-rom died :(. On my neighbor's a motherboard. I don't know what was exactly wrong with other computers but the guy was in our server room very often putting difference pieces together.

XXX_er
04-30-2010, 10:57 PM

you seen 2 piece of hw go down and all dells are now junk?

by that logic my doctor see's a lot of sick people ...therefore all people suck?

besides the stats show all that shit is very close in quality SO more important IS: when they do break how is the service,so how is the phone support ,how is it like to deal with the people who dispatch the HW guy and how is the HW guy does he have the parts does he fix it quick ,for a big user can you get support all over canada

AND actualy the small sample of one we are talking about here has fuck all to do with the business world ...I never worked on computer for end loser private owners like you guys

flatman
04-30-2010, 11:29 PM
I work for a fairly large corporation of about 120k employees worldwide. We use Dell in both the server room and on the desktop. I can only speak for the facility that I am at (about 300 desktops and 20 servers or so), but we see a Dell service guy about once a year. I think we had a motherboard replacement last year.

They are generally pretty solid machines. I am running on my fourth refresh of a dell laptop (Precision M4400) at work and they have been great. Particularly happy with the 1920x1200 resolution on a 15" display, my most important requirement in a laptop.

They have been good enough that I buy them for home use and I am on my second. The first is an inspiron e9400, about 5 years old and I would still be using it if the nvidia video card hadn't died on it. At time of death it was running xp and ubuntu. I have an xps1530 with Vista which I really like and have had it for just over two years. I buy direct from Dell and not from futureshop or bestbuy or costco.

Buy what you need. You will be happier that way and won't have to justify the money you spent on something that doesn't work for you.

the flying moose
04-30-2010, 11:34 PM

I've got a Dell laptop that is at least 6 years old and I only recently had to reformat it from a stupid virus. I still use it for work in the bush.

However I did just purchased a new Toshiba lappy that I am quite happy with.

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 11:42 PM
It looks like my first impressions about Dells were off. We must have had a few bad apples.

the flying moose
04-30-2010, 11:49 PM
It looks like my first impressions about Dells were off. We must have had a few bad apples.

It's the same with everything. You take care of it and it will take care of you.

flatman
04-30-2010, 11:51 PM
The biggest problem with Dell is that they don't give you a dell logo sticker to put on your car

the flying moose
04-30-2010, 11:52 PM
The biggest problem with Dell is that they don't give you a dell logo sticker to put on your car

that's what sharpies are for. that way you can make it as big as you want.

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 11:53 PM
It's the same with everything. You take care of it and it will take care of you.

There are still more and less reliable products. I've been looking at ASUS laptops and they get really good reviews. Worth googling a little more :).

flatman
04-30-2010, 11:56 PM
that's what sharpies are for. that way you can make it as big as you want.

no sharpies for me. I was poking some fun at the mac users.

the flying moose
04-30-2010, 11:57 PM
There are still more and less reliable products. I've been looking at ASUS laptops and they get really good reviews. Worth googling a little more :).

Check out your local Costco too. Costco will give you an additional year of warranty for free. I would have got mine there if I didn't get a deal at Future Shop.

http://www.costco.ca/Common/Category.aspx?cat=22494&eCat=BCCA|84|22494&lang=en-CA&whse=BCCA&topnav=

Joe Kickass
04-30-2010, 11:58 PM
no sharpies for me. I was poking some fun at the mac users.

:lol: Funny indeed.

I don't get that, why would you put an Apple sticker on your car?

HIBuLlitT
05-01-2010, 12:14 AM

They did have two years when they were not getting the correct parts so they did
have quite a few bad comps going out. I'm sure a google search would tell you when
but if I remember correctly that might have been the time frame they were having issues.

switch
05-01-2010, 01:44 AM
If you buy a Windows laptop, scrub off all the bloatware. Any software with the word Norton or Symantec in it's name should be the first to go.

XXX_er
05-01-2010, 02:05 AM

Also you can't wear your hipster clothing while using your dell so count on spending $$ to buy the RIGHT wardrobe

AND, what kind of a coffee shop do you go to

DOES it have lots of plug-ins ?

WILL I have enough battery life ...