PDA

View Full Version : in recent news : Tweens still think theyre invincible

dEVoRider
10-26-2009, 06:18 PM
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20091025/bc_quebec_crash_091025/20091025?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

hard to feel bummed when people die in such stupid ways. I feel for their parents the most, either the parents didnt do a good job in raising the kids or they did and the kids just wanted to be 'cool' ; if the later is the case then i feel for the parents, not only have they lost a child (s) , it occured in the worst way possible....a 100% preventable manner.

chupacabra
10-26-2009, 06:32 PM
You can't judge the parents for this. Kids do dumb shit and I remember doing a lot crazier than this including riding with 7 people in a chevette. Racing with that many people in the car was pretty stupid though.

Things that should have killed me;

hood surfing
driving at night sans headlights
buying old cars and smashing them up on old logging roads
wave hopping in during storms

Had one of those things killed me my mom would not have been to blame, just me.

Zedbra
10-26-2009, 06:52 PM
oh ya - had a few nights of roof surfing from white rock to fleetwood on my bud's station wagon. also had my case of beer on the roof with me. stupid in hindsight and makes me look twice at what my son is thinking

Lady Gravity
10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
is hood surfing what i think it is - standing on the hood of a car while it's moving? if so..yikes :|

GeoffG
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I was always told the dangers of driving and speed. For me, it stuck. For a lot of teens, it didn't. I know a lot of people who lost their licenses and learned their lesson. Fortunately, not one of them got hurt badly or died.

Adam West
10-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I was always told the dangers of driving and speed. For me, it stuck. For a lot of teens, it didn't. I know a lot of people who lost their licenses and learned their lesson. Fortunately, not one of them got hurt badly or died.

werd.

you dont need speed to fuck up i fucked up doing 30.

dEVoRider
10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
im laying the blame on their folks, im just saying that parenting is pretty important in getting the right mindset into kids heads. And their parents must feel like shite for having lost a child in such a lame way. losing a child in a freak accident or illness is tragic, losing a child because they were riding in the open trunk of a car at high speed is just incomprehnsible and unfair to the parents who put a shitload of effort, money and love into raising a kid.

its almost a slap in t he face to the parents what the kids did; still sad and tragic though.

chupacabra
10-26-2009, 07:19 PM
is hood surfing what i think it is - standing on the hood of a car while it's moving? if so..yikes :|

It is exactly what you think it is. A friend of mine decided to surf one time and didn't tell me (I was driving, doing about 60-70) and next thing you know I see him fall out the window. I guess he assumed there was a holy shit handle and there wasn't and just fell out the window backwards. Where we missed the lesson was that he was fine. By the time I hit the brakes I could see him running after the car. He didn't even mess up his white shirt. So potential tragedy ended up just a funny story and hood surfing continued.

Kids are dumb.

KenN
10-26-2009, 07:39 PM
Kids are invincible until they're not.

Every new generation will take the hard route to learn this.

Kn.

Rat
10-26-2009, 07:41 PM
for some reason most male children become invincible idiots somewhere between 13 and 20.

as a parent its not something im looking foward too

comoxclan101
10-26-2009, 07:48 PM
kids need to be held more responsible? not say fuck it the parents fucked up?

hey mom can i take the car?
sure who are you driving?
oh just timmy.
okay then.

its not exactly hard for kids to lie to their parents, what are they supposed to do, follow their kids around all day everyday so they dont fuck up?

jefg
10-26-2009, 07:56 PM
I'm 22, and am pretty sure that my parents did a fine job of raising me. I have to say though, I definitely did some stupid shit when I was younger.

Other than the odd sheltered mama's boy, you've got to agree that teenage boys will do whatever they want, and not think too much about it.

PS: Seriously guys, some people would say the same thing about what we do on bikes...

comoxclan101
10-26-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm 22, and am pretty sure that my parents did a fine job of raising me. I have to say though, I definitely did some stupid shit when I was younger.

Other than the odd sheltered mama's boy, you've got to agree that teenage boys will do whatever they want, and not think too much about it.

PS: Seriously guys, some people would say the same thing about what we do on bikes...

concurred, and do you have any relation to geoffg?

Chewylewy
10-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Street racing might be a stretch since they were stuffed into a Kia Rio. Probably lower speed stupidity.

HIBuLlitT
10-26-2009, 08:47 PM

This.

Unless you live on a deserted island kids are going to get into trouble (probably
even on the deserted island too).

I used to sneak off and night surf, skating DH at 55mph w/ a car behind us so
we know how fast we're going...safety equipment included: flip-flops on my
hands for hand protection, long sleeve shirt tied around the waist, no shirt on
and no helmet...we relied on the long hair to cushion the blow. I ate shit at that
speed
broke two ribs and major road rash. My parents never found out, I didn't even
know I broke the ribs till I joined the Coast Guard and the doc asked when I
broke them.

I used to rive around LA at 100+, got stopped once doing 121mph and was let
off with a warning. Only tickets I got were no signal turns and rolling stops.

We used to use BB guns and shoot each other with them (we didn't have paintballs
back then). Only safety equipment was motorcycle helmets (w/ face shields),
blue jeans and the heaviest jacket we had.

The list goes on...there was no way my parents could have stopped me without
a gps tracking device. I know they raised me well, because I didn't steal, cheat,
I stayed away from the "wrong" drugs, and eventually I grew up. But hell, even
at 44 y/o I still throw myself off cliffs on a bike and surf by myself (when I can).

You can't blame the parents for that kind of behavior. Violence, and robbing
I do, but not most the "stupid" shit kids get into.

jefg
10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
do you have any relation to geoffg?

I am the Batman to his Bruce Wayne.

Seriously man, crime fighting is hard work!

(nah, coincidence)

enduramil
10-26-2009, 09:17 PM
for some reason most male children become invincible idiots somewhere between 13 and 20.

as a parent its not something im looking foward too

My daughter is impatient, she has decided that 2 is the perfect time to be an invincible idiot. Let's, somersault down stairs, swan dives of couch to floor.....

shrankman
10-26-2009, 10:55 PM
werd.

you dont need speed to fuck up i fucked up doing 30.

badonkadonk.

http://www.cbtimages.com/?id=7358&Type=FRONT

lambert
10-26-2009, 10:59 PM
^^^ i see nipple.

all that aside, I read an article in Spin magazine once about how when the Ramones met Stiv Bators he was hood surfing. Idiocy doesn't end in the tweens.

KenN
10-26-2009, 11:11 PM
^^^ i see nipple.

all that aside, I read an article in Spin magazine once about how when the Ramones met Stiv Bators he was hood surfing. Idiocy doesn't end in the tweens.

Imagine if Stiv had slaves? They would all call him "Master Bators".

Kn.

stew44
10-26-2009, 11:30 PM
Back in the day I have had too many people in my car/been in a overloaded car, but usually just cruising 40k/hr not while speeding on the freewayy.

I think this is more of an unfortunate accident than terrible teen negligence. I remember when I went on a school sports team trip to hawaii we had like 16 kids and 2 coaches and they rented 2 minivans. one of us had to sit on the floor or in the back...

chupacabra
10-27-2009, 12:05 AM
Back in the day I have had too many people in my car/been in a overloaded car, but usually just cruising 40k/hr not while speeding on the freewayy.

I think this is more of an unfortunate accident than terrible teen negligence. I remember when I went on a school sports team trip to hawaii we had like 16 kids and 2 coaches and they rented 2 minivans. one of us had to sit on the floor or in the back...

I am sure most of us also remember cruising around in the back of pick ups. I wonder why you never see that anymore. :lol:

jefg
10-27-2009, 12:13 AM
I am sure most of us also remember cruising around in the back of pick ups. I wonder why you never see that anymore. :lol:

lol never see that anymore? I did it a month ago!

Edit: er.....*cough* slowly, on a logging road...for a good reason, I swear!

Trail Rider 1.0
10-27-2009, 12:32 AM
14 year old girl in a Kia Rio? Was Ross driving?

But seriously, I think there's a difference between "boys will be boys" stupid shit, and just plain stupid shit. I did some stupid things on the road when I was younger, but going on the freeway with someone in an open trunk takes a special kind of stupid.

stew44
10-27-2009, 12:48 AM
14 year old girl in a Kia Rio? Was Ross driving?
:lol::lol::lol:

ps. I forgot about the 'open' trunk part; Definitely completely stupid

Armed & Hammered
10-27-2009, 01:09 AM

I blame the guy who had his foot on the gas pedal. Glad to see he's being charged, and I hope he is dying of guilt.

Squamch
10-27-2009, 05:25 AM
This.

Unless you live on a deserted island kids are going to get into trouble (probably
even on the deserted island too).

I used to sneak off and night surf, skating DH at 55mph w/ a car behind us so
we know how fast we're going...safety equipment included: flip-flops on my
hands for hand protection, long sleeve shirt tied around the waist, no shirt on
and no helmet...we relied on the long hair to cushion the blow. I ate shit at that
speed
broke two ribs and major road rash. My parents never found out, I didn't even
know I broke the ribs till I joined the Coast Guard and the doc asked when I
broke them.

I used to rive around LA at 100+, got stopped once doing 121mph and was let
off with a warning. Only tickets I got were no signal turns and rolling stops.

We used to use BB guns and shoot each other with them (we didn't have paintballs
back then). Only safety equipment was motorcycle helmets (w/ face shields),
blue jeans and the heaviest jacket we had.

The list goes on...there was no way my parents could have stopped me without
a gps tracking device. I know they raised me well, because I didn't steal, cheat,
I stayed away from the "wrong" drugs, and eventually I grew up. But hell, even
at 44 y/o I still throw myself off cliffs on a bike and surf by myself (when I can).

yes.

that being agreed with, a measure of common sense with your stupidity was good, no drunks got to drive while hood of roof surfing, don't pop the trunk if you've got people in it...basic stuff ya know?

HIBuLlitT
10-27-2009, 05:32 AM
yes.

that being agreed with, a measure of common sense with your stupidity was good, no drunks got to drive while hood of roof surfing, don't pop the trunk if you've got people in it...basic stuff ya know?

Funny thing, I think my friends saved me from myself. I drove so fast (even for
LA standards) that all my friends would get me stoned before I drove them anywhere.
They said it was the only way I was "safe"...I think it was the only time anyone
passed me (well everyone really).
I think weed was a bit mellower than todays shit. Anyone remember when a lid
of some good shit was $20?

I wouldn't ever drink and drive though, my feeling back then was "that" was just too
stupid
but of course driving stones was ok.:rolleyes:

lambert
10-27-2009, 05:48 AM

i've seen that happen. when i was about 14 a bunch of older kids were barrelling down our street and they hit a bump or a pot hole or something and a girl wasn't holding on very tight in the back and she came flying out over the tailgate ass over tea kettle and cracked her head pretty damn hard on the pavement. Blood everywhere, we thought she had died, my gramma and grampa went out and administered first aid till the ambulance got there. The girl survived. i don't remember what happened to the kid driving the truck.

insulinjunkie
10-27-2009, 09:05 AM
lol never see that anymore? I did it a month ago!

Edit: er.....*cough* slowly, on a logging road...for a good reason, I swear!

the sea to sky is a logging road? I musta been fucked!

insulinjunkie
10-27-2009, 09:08 AM
small town, education was frowned upon..... we got into alot of shit. Most of it mischief, some of it plain retarded.

jefg
10-27-2009, 10:29 PM
the sea to sky is a logging road? I musta been fucked!

whoops! forgot about that one, I guess I've done it twice in the last couple months then.

At least dereks truck had a canopy on it.

chupacabra
10-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Well OK, maybe you still do see people in the back of pick ups, but not as much. :lol:

I would love to judge these kids, but I have no moral grounds considering the stunts we pulled as kids. In small towns mixing stupidity, vehicles, and liquor is pretty much all there is to do on weekends.