PDA

View Full Version : Just light or too light?

g_k
04-30-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm not really in the market for a new rig, but been thinking about the current crop of (around) 6 inch trail bikes - LaPierre Spicy, Remedy, Nomad, Reign or probably the new 2010 Reign X. Those frames are getting really light - in the 3 kg range I suspect. I own a Kona King XC fullsus and the (scandium) frame comes in at 2.6 kg, not much lighter, yet I can squeeze the downtube with my fingers, its like a coke can.

Are we seeing frames more fragile than their travel might suggest? Are they just pumped up XC bikes? Or are they holding up alright even in the bikepark? Experiences? Opinions?

connor
04-30-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm not really in the market for a new rig, but been thinking about the current crop of (around) 6 inch trail bikes - LaPierre Spicy, Remedy, Nomad, Reign or probably the new 2010 Reign X. Those frames are getting really light - in the 3 kg range I suspect. I own a Kona King XC fullsus and the (scandium) frame comes in at 2.6 kg, not much lighter, yet I can squeeze the downtube with my fingers, its like a coke can.

Are we seeing frames more fragile than their travel might suggest? Are they just pumped up XC bikes? Or are they holding up alright even in the bikepark? Experiences? Opinions?

I don't think I'd want to ride my Remedy at Whistler, but I guess you could.

It's more for everything else. I don't think there is much that it can't do really well.

[email protected]
04-30-2009, 11:19 PM
FYI - large 09 ano nomad frame sans shock = 2.77kg... pretty crazy... def not a park bike... agreed new crop - nomads/remedys = super versatile... geo getting dialed

Feral
04-30-2009, 11:23 PM
Friend of mine rails his Nomad at Whistler, but his is an 07. I wouldn't trust a Remedy though, the tubing just seems too thin for my liking.

apeshape
04-30-2009, 11:26 PM
I have a Remedy coming and made that decision after I saw the punishment they can take. Pretty stoked on the versatility and how well it rode after testing a friends.

SammyJ
04-30-2009, 11:28 PM
How does the tubeset on the session 88 compare to the remedy?

J-Kwon
04-30-2009, 11:30 PM
leaev the coke cans at home, whistler eats bicycles. I'd agree,it'd be great for everything else though, including dirt jumping.

apeshape
04-30-2009, 11:43 PM
Depends how many days in the park. If we're talking 2 or 3 and you make transitions I think it'd be fine.

krj
05-01-2009, 12:00 AM
It also depends how you ride.
My nomad has treated me quite well at the park. I find that my line choice in the techy sections has to be a bit more precise than my buddy on his team DH, but it doesn't take away from the entertainment value. It's certainly more entertaining for riding around here(North Shore) when I can ride my Nomad on the bridal path one day, then hit up a Cypress run the next.

I have only recently begun to lust for a bit more beef in my bike, but it's certainly not to a point where I can justify buying a bike for 5% - 10% of the riding I do.

for reference, I'm on an 07 nomad, DHX 5.0 rear and 36 Talas up front.

krj
05-01-2009, 12:00 AM
It also depends how you ride.
My nomad has treated me quite well at the park. I find that my line choice in the techy sections has to be a bit more precise than my buddy on his team DH, but it doesn't take away from the entertainment value. It's certainly more entertaining for riding around here(North Shore) when I can ride my Nomad on the bridal path one day, then hit up a Cypress run the next.

I have only recently begun to lust for a bit more beef in my bike, but it's certainly not to a point where I can justify buying a bike for 5% - 10% of the riding I do.

for reference, I'm on an 07 nomad, DHX 5.0 rear and 36 Talas up front.

connor
05-01-2009, 12:03 AM
I have a Remedy coming and made that decision after I saw the punishment they can take. Pretty stoked on the versatility and how well it rode after testing a friends.

for real? we can be team Remedy with karaleen.

apeshape
05-01-2009, 12:08 AM
i already belong to team socom so i might as well join team remedy too.

Dean W
05-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I suppose the limits of bikes are getting pushed.

Personally my 6" bike was great for a full day top to bottom at Whistler. I'm not super smooth, but I'm not a hack and I tend to hit the transitions. 34lb for the bike park with burly wheels and tires on my Banshee Rune. The frame is light but not overly light like some of the other bikes you mention, therefore it in theory should be stronger. 7.2lbs for a small frame with the shock.

However I would not want to ride it full time in the park. My body would only be able to withstand a couple days before wanting more cush.

PS - the Remedy is nice, but the Rune is nicerer ;)

http://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/1/7/2/4/runegarbanzo.jpg

Sparkplug
05-01-2009, 01:02 AM
I'd say the Remedy could take some Whistler days. Keep in mind, though that repeated Whistler trips is hard on any bike. I would say that the frame should be fine, though. I had my remedy doing some reasonable sized drops and gaps recently, and it felt fine and smooth. Then, yesterday I took it for a good climb and did my best climbing ever! Thats the beauty of that bike... it'll get you up the hill and then be super fun and capable on the downhills. Another vote for the Remedy.

connor
05-01-2009, 01:27 AM
it in theory should be stronger. 7.2lbs for a small frame with the shock.

PS - the Remedy is nice, but the Rune is nicerer ;)

http://photos.nsmb.com/files/2/1/7/2/4/runegarbanzo.jpg

haha.. what a Porker!7.2 for minisized!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Bushman
05-01-2009, 02:06 AM
I hear the Nomad is strong like bull smart like tractor...I beefed mine up for more free ride. If its in the new NWD it must be ok right? =/

http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=119677

http://bb.nsmb.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5743&d=1236479277

kperras
05-01-2009, 02:13 AM
I'd ride my 30lb fluid at whistler without hesitation. The trails there are smoother than what I normally ride with it at home. ;)

onepunch
05-01-2009, 03:48 AM
I would think it depends what trails, and which rider. The thing that whistler can do to a bike are more from being able to pound out 10 CBC length trails a day. If you hit joyride, goats, in deep all day long and go 20 days a year, that is like 3 years of riding on shuttle trails and 5 on the pedal ups.

JCL
05-01-2009, 04:31 AM
I expect a backlash against the easy dent bikes that are currently popping up.

craw
05-01-2009, 04:38 AM
The easy-dent bikes are the result of all the whining for lighter bikes. Be careful what you wish for...

J-Kwon
05-01-2009, 05:02 AM
I'd ride my 30lb fluid at whistler without hesitation. The trails there are smoother than what I normally ride with it at home. ;)

except, it's decent in amplitude, and i doubt you shuttle 8-12 times a day every weekend.\whistler eats bike, regardless of weight.

kperras
05-01-2009, 05:12 AM
But one day there is fine for occasions when the big bike is down.

shirk
05-01-2009, 06:35 AM
except, it's decent in amplitude, and i doubt you shuttle 8-12 times a day every weekend.\whistler eats bike, regardless of weight.

Only if you ride like a hack or can't make the tranny landings.

Eating of disposable parts and frames is two different things.

ESHER SHORE
05-02-2009, 09:10 PM
my Devinci Hectik Ltd. has a frame weight with Fox DHX 5 air shock in medium size of 7.6lb

whatever that is in KG, no idea?

feels solid to ride, and a good wall thickness on each tube, a proper lifetime warranty backing it up, Canadian made, eh ;)

J-Kwon
05-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Eating of disposable parts and frames is two different things.

you mean overshoot? we are talking whistler...
Just because you're smooth doesn't mean the bike won't suffer, yes it won't suffer as much as a person who is not as smooth, but it's still taking a beating.

DaveM
05-03-2009, 12:28 AM

don't drag me into this :lol:

mr_fungle
05-03-2009, 05:53 AM
Yay Team Remedy!

J0SH
05-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Why won't NSMB let me make virtual love to DaveM (or giving him rep, what ever it's called)

FullMonty
05-03-2009, 06:36 AM
don't drag me into this :lol:

what, you think we're going to insult the visual stylings of Mr. Whip? :???: