PDA

View Full Version : SRAM XX ten speed off road group???

Oldfart
11-13-2008, 06:21 PM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=/tech/2008/news/11-13

sanrensho
11-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Well one thing is for sure.

We know it will look hella ugly with awful logos/graphics a la SRAM Red. Oh, and pretty happy with 8-speed ATM.

Oldfart
11-13-2008, 07:30 PM
I am waiting for the cries of "Who needs ten speeds?" "The chains will be too weak and will wear out faster" "The cassettes will clog with mud!"

Who needs ten speed cassettes? Cross country racers will like it. A two by ten does allow narrower bb spacing which many skinny aresed racers like. And the closer the individual gear ratios are the better. Ten speed chains have been working fine for several seasons under the road pros and cyclo cross pros too. As for mud see any of the recent cross race photos.

That said, I think a ten speed cassette has limited application for free riding and DH. Most freedogs simply plunk it in the lowest gear ratio if they ride up. I personal;y would like a cassette that had a 13 or 14 tooth high and ten cogs to a 34 low. I could see a 28 X 38 0r 40 up front as being good for the XC races I used to do. These days I am too decrepit to to push a 28X34 low. The only thing missing from the SRAM group is hubs/wheels and pedals. Is SRAM about to buy Crank Bros or Speedplay????

sanrensho
11-13-2008, 07:35 PM
For sure, the racer-boys/girls and weight weenies will lap this stuff up.

kperras
11-13-2008, 08:15 PM
For sure, the racer-boys/girls and weight weenies will lap this stuff up.

Damn straight....I'm seriously considering a red der/tap shifter combo for the mtbs next year.

Nelson
11-13-2008, 10:32 PM
They need to call it Moun10....

Dantes Inferno
11-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Whats wrong with existing road stuff in mountain application?

big-ted
11-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Damn straight....I'm seriously considering a red der/tap shifter combo for the mtbs next year.

Wont work. Different cable pull ratios.

Oldfart
11-13-2008, 10:46 PM
Not 100% sure but I think SRAM road derailleurs and shifters are not compatible with their mountain derailleurs . They do have a double tap 10 speed road shifter for flat bars though. I recall seeing it in a photo but whether or not it is currently available though I don't know.

Shimano road and off road shifters and rear derailleurs are cross compatible notwithstanding issues of capacity. But their front road shifters are not compatible with mountain triple derailleurs.

craw
11-14-2008, 12:00 AM
The uber-roadies here in Brisbane looooove the 10-speed SRAM road stuff. The local shop guys all swapped out of their Dura-Ace and Campy Super Record to go SRAM...

I'm sure it'll be great. Think of all the great technology developed for XTR that found its way down to Saint and more recently SLX.