http://www.solarexpert.com/fishing/more-fly-tying.html

The camel spider is something else.

Tim

Aeropusher
01-11-2008, 10:09 PM
wow.....incredible.

Marsenault
01-11-2008, 10:12 PM
that is simply amazing. I used to tie fly's when I was younger, its actually pretty entertaining.... I should get back into it.

Jaysin
01-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Amazing work! Having tied my own flies the past few seasons, I have mucho respect for that guy! Even the simplest of ties can be torturesome.

Knnn
01-11-2008, 10:21 PM
Hmmm, I wonder how long they would survive my ham fisted casting. Most of the fly's I tied in the past ended up looking like a skanky piece of wool wrapped around a hook. Still seamed to work though.

nice work though

hecklin at y'all
01-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't tie flies. I don't have the patience, nor a place to do it. I used to build car models, however, and I was pretty darn good at it.

Maybe when I get a bigger place or kick my daughter out, I will set up a tying bench and have at it.

I am going steelheading on Sunday, I think. It will be my first time using my new 9 wt. fly rod. Looking forward to it.

Tim

Jaysin
01-11-2008, 11:20 PM
I don't tie flies. I don't have the patience, nor a place to do it. I used to build car models, however, and I was pretty darn good at it.

Maybe when I get a bigger place or kick my daughter out, I will set up a tying bench and have at it.

I am going steelheading on Sunday, I think. It will be my first time using my new 9 wt. fly rod. Looking forward to it.

Tim

Steelhead fishing is so much fun. I would rather fight a 10lb. Steelie than a 20 pound chinook. Where ya headed?

pedalhound
01-11-2008, 11:25 PM
I used to tie my own flies and those are amazing...but I don't think they would hold up to real life fishing...but they sure are beautiful. I need to get back into fishing..I miss it, just too many people ocean fish in the Island...that holds no attraction for me....give me quiet on a river or a belly boat on a lake and I am happy. Anyone know of any good areas to flyfish on the island?

hecklin at y'all
01-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Steelhead fishing is so much fun. I would rather fight a 10lb. Steelie than a 20 pound chinook. Where ya headed?

Don't know yet. Maybe the Vedder.

Going with a friend, so I am just going to chase after him.

Should be a good time regardless. Hope my arm holds up to casting a 9 wt. all day long.

Tim

hecklin at y'all
01-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I used to tie my own flies and those are amazing...but I don't think they would hold up to real life fishing...but they sure are beautiful. I need to get back into fishing..I miss it, just too many people ocean fish in the Island...that holds no attraction for me....give me quiet on a river or a belly boat on a lake and I am happy. Anyone know of any good areas to flyfish on the island?

Lots of options. Checkout Fishbc.com, or Flybc.ca. Lots of people form the island there.

I post as Murf70 if you decide to join.

If you ever head over here, let me know. We can head out for sturgeon or salmon in my boat, or tube many of the lakes around here. Putty fishes a lot as well. Maybe we have a mini NBR fishing group hug kinda thing.

Just leave your Brokeback fishing on the Island.

Tim

Putty
01-11-2008, 11:54 PM
hi murf,

hi.

you are also something else.

chris2
01-12-2008, 12:27 AM
[url]

The camel spider is something else.

"The abdomen is covered with a goose feather I found in Chile, topped with jungle cock."

jungle cock makes the best bait

gtse
01-12-2008, 12:46 AM
9 wght ain't that bad. i casted a 12 wght once for a couple of hours chasing tarpon on the flats of belize. now that's heavy. vedder should be good.

those realistic flies creep me out. i can't tie them but i love tying classic/full dressed flies. takes the same amount of time yet i just don't have the patience to sit and tie realistics.

attached is one i tied called green highlander.

http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200707/24/44/f0084544_14193759.jpg

Putty
01-12-2008, 12:55 AM
very nice fly man.

freakonaleash
01-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Wow those are amazing. I tie flys, but nothing special. Doc's and wooly buggers and variations of the two.

DaveM
01-12-2008, 01:52 AM
My brother is coming over next weekend for some kind of flyfishing course put on by Pacific Angler, spey casting or something like that.

I tried flyfishing a couple of times but spent most of the day snapping leaders and catching trees and my buddy's dog.....pitbull....good thing he liked me.

Kossinnd
01-12-2008, 01:55 AM
Wow. I couldnt imagine tying one of those. the bee freaked me out and the tadpole seemed like it would work for me!

skifreak
01-12-2008, 02:00 AM
better be pinching those barbs haha

Putty
01-12-2008, 02:19 AM
ill pinch your barb.

hecklin at y'all
01-12-2008, 04:57 AM
better be pinching those barbs haha

Only required for rivers and some classified waters. For the salt you can fish barbed. That being said, I pinch all barbs. It's easier to remove from the back of my neck that way.

Nice looking highlander. I love the classic dressed flies.

Yup, I think an NBR fishing thing has to happen. Maybe get everyone with boats out on the Fraser in the spring for sturgeon.

Tim

gtse
01-12-2008, 07:08 AM
i think for salt if you're fishing salmon it has to be barbed. at least the last time i was out years ago it had to be.

i don't like pacific angler......go elsewhere.

let us know how your fishing trip sun goes hecklin.

Adam West
01-12-2008, 08:43 AM
hey mud puppy. i can show ya sum lakes to go fishing at sumtime this spring if u want. u already know my favourite ones up harborview. but theres a few other stashes up my sleeve

Madman
01-12-2008, 09:10 AM

Im not a big Ocean fisherman either, I love lake/river, I dont really put much into setup.. any bait will do imo. If you have a vehicle you dont mind using on unmaintained backroads buy a backroads map and go nuts, some of those little lakes are PACKED with trout. And the rivers? Steelhead like no other, San Juan can be pretty good. Ive got a few spots but havnt been out forever because I dont have a truck right now.

Adam West
01-12-2008, 09:57 AM
we should do an islander fishing day in the spring :idea:

HIBuLlitT
01-12-2008, 10:24 AM

I sure hope so...I got a magazine a couple years ago that showed 365 days of
fishing Vancouver island (different spot each day for different fish, some fresh
some salties). I'm bringing it when I move. Got to fish!

BTW- Hecklin'... Thanks for that those are awesome!

skifreak
01-12-2008, 04:20 PM
yeah - a few of the west coast rivers are still great fishing... Gold, Stamp, Zeballos...

And then a multitude of lakes all over the island.

A few good books out there for island lakes, the backroads mapbook is a good resource too for adventuring.

An island fishing trip sounds like a great idea.

Adam West
01-12-2008, 05:02 PM
guess i better dust of the beley boat and make sum leaders for the old fly rod. where and when and how deep into the bush r we goin? is the only questions i got. any one got any suggestions? i know of a few places that would b prime but need serious 4x4's to access. a couple that we could get cars too and sum over run and rural areas that also produce.

trout
01-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I too love fly fishing and tying, and living in the kootenays provides some great opportunitys to partake in these pursuits. The more I fish the more I appreciate the bugs that feed the fish that I'm after. I've been on the Columbia well into the night with caddis flies coming off so thick it is hard to breath without getting a mouth full. I've fished the Elk river when there have been 6 different kinds of mayflies, all different colours and sizes hatching and gracefully ascending. The Slocan river has an october caddis hatch with these big clumsy moths that crash around creating a wake on the water before they either fly away or get eaten by hungry trout.

You can tell the guy tying those art full creations likes bugs too. Check out this fellows work too, equally impressive.
http://www.danica.com/FLYTIER/pwhillock/pwhillock.htm

Madman
01-13-2008, 04:28 AM
we should do an islander fishing day in the spring :idea:

Im down.

hecklin at y'all
01-13-2008, 05:15 AM
Well, let me know when the spring fishing trip is on the Island. Maybe I can convince Putty to come along.

4x4 access is fine, as is float tubing.

If I was energetic I could bring the boat, but I would need a nice lake to drop it in.

Tim

HIBuLlitT
01-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Is there bass on the island?

skifreak
01-13-2008, 06:27 AM

Smallmouth on the South Island (victoria area) and on the southern gulf islands.

Jaysin
01-13-2008, 06:32 AM
If I was energetic I could bring the boat, but I would need a nice lake to drop it in.

Tim

You from the pampered Okanagan? :P

It's funny watching guys launch their boats here... Typical Kelowna fashion show

trout
01-13-2008, 05:12 PM

Bass is a four letter word when it comes to fishing in bc.

HIBuLlitT
01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Bass is a four letter word when it comes to fishing in bc.

:???:

trout
01-13-2008, 07:28 PM
It's an invasive species introduced into some lakes in bc, they are detrimental to native trout populations by competing for food and eating young trout. There is a $20 000 fine for introducing non native species in bc waters.

HIBuLlitT
01-13-2008, 11:48 PM
It's an invasive species introduced into some lakes in bc, they are detrimental to native trout populations by competing for food and eating young trout. There is a $20 000 fine for introducing non native species in bc waters.

They introduced them here as well, the small mouths are very aggressive. So
I guess it's not catch and release?

Never fly fished, but I always wanted to try. I love every other type of fishing;
bottom, trolling, casting, spear.

Anyone know the regs on spear fishing?

pedalhound
01-14-2008, 12:28 AM
hey mud puppy. i can show ya sum lakes to go fishing at sumtime this spring if u want. u already know my favourite ones up harborview. but theres a few other stashes up my sleeve

Sweet, thanks. As I said I have not been fishing in YEARS...I miss it. The reason my family moved up here when I was younger is they bought a fishing camp in the interior (Tunkwa lake resort)....I got sorta fished out...only so much teaching tourists how to catch and then clean fish...hah. I broke my rode right before I moved and have not fished since. I want to take my son out to do some bobber fishing to get him started...but I gotta buy all the gear...same for flyfishing.

I grew up on the Mckenzie River in Oregon...did some amazing fishing all over Oregon and BC....I love river fishing...trout mostly.

Many years ago I wanted to go on fishing/camping/biking trips...would be great to pedal up to a nice remote lake...set up camp...do some fishing. Now...I think that would be fun...but go up with a truck...beer...and do it in style...hahaha.

Yeah...a Island fishing trip would kick ass....

Madman
01-14-2008, 05:54 AM

Tons of Bass, Thats almost all I catch at my cabin up near Nanaimo, decent size (up to 6lbs). Theres the odd Rainbow/Cutthroat which is nice, but theres Sculpin and sunfish as well, then theres the tadpoles that are 6" long and massive bullfrogs.

And mudpuppy, I might be able to get you some gear if you want, my grandpa used to own a fishing tackle company, just sold it recenty so I have all sorts of tackle if you want a few things, I have a Winder and a big box of wire and all kinds of beads/spinners/clevises and crap to make lures aswell, might have a some fly tying stuff too

CheeseDogs
01-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Sweet, thanks. As I said I have not been fishing in YEARS...I miss it. The reason my family moved up here when I was younger is they bought a fishing camp in the interior (Tunkwa lake resort)....I got sorta fished out...only so much teaching tourists how to catch and then clean fish...hah. I broke my rode right before I moved and have not fished since. I want to take my son out to do some bobber fishing to get him started...but I gotta buy all the gear...same for flyfishing.

I grew up on the Mckenzie River in Oregon...did some amazing fishing all over Oregon and BC....I love river fishing...trout mostly.

Many years ago I wanted to go on fishing/camping/biking trips...would be great to pedal up to a nice remote lake...set up camp...do some fishing. Now...I think that would be fun...but go up with a truck...beer...and do it in style...hahaha.

I hit up Tunkwa and Leighton all the time for fishing.

gtse
01-14-2008, 07:59 AM
hey mudpuppy

your family still don't own tunkwa do they? i go there all the time. well not as much as previous years as it gets quite busy there and i like the more secluded lakes (if there's such a thing anymore). probably fish there once or twice a year but rarely stay at the lodge anymore.

i once got lucky and fished with brian chan (some famous biologist). not planned but i was fishing a weed bed he wanted to. so we chatted a bit since back then i was the only other asian dood out there so i stuck out like a sore thumb. then the ppl started to flock to him and i left but an hour later he ended up on the same shoal as i did again. so we laughed and chatted some more.

Putty
01-14-2008, 05:34 PM
you could probably get murf and out there too...someone did say beer i think.

hecklin at y'all
01-14-2008, 09:14 PM
You from the pampered Okanagan? :P

It's funny watching guys launch their boats here... Typical Kelowna fashion show

Nope, pampered Coquitlam.

As for launching the boat, I just drive straight into the water and back the boat off.

After all, why else have a lifted truck?

Tim